Thread: Some lobbying. We need more users...

Blog Entries

Some lobbying. We need more users...

well after md5crk was ended users goes to another DC projects.

1 october distributed folding comes to end.

we need do some lobbying. we need more users!!!
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Sieve it, baby!
    I'd suggest opening DoubleCheck testing to the public (accounting included) and maybe even make them mandantory for new machines added (thus problems can be found very fast).
    This way, a test would be finished within a day on current systems. I think an early feeling of success is important to stay on a project if someone is simply looking for (a new) one. After all, over 1500 members haven't submitted any work at all, and I don't know if this is related to "completed a block" or "completed a whole test"...

A new found prime would also attract a lot of people. Too bad they can't be timed...

btw.: Isn't this a topic for the main forum (as opposed to the sieving subforum)?

Main forum for sure,

In the p-1 area there is also a discussion "intro to p-1" if someone could put in a similar explaination for sieve that would be great.

I'd like to see those with p4 systems do some p-1 factoring as well, if anyone has p4's I'd suggest they try a small range.

Sieve it, baby!
    Originally posted by vjs
    if anyone has p4's I'd suggest they try a small range.
    I'll most likely rejoin once the new version of George's factorer is available. But it seems like the hurricane is going to delay latter.

Originally posted by Mystwalker
    I'd suggest opening DoubleCheck testing to the public (accounting included) and maybe even make them mandantory for new machines added (thus problems can be found very fast).
    This way, a test would be finished within a day on current systems. I think an early feeling of success is important to stay on a project if someone is simply looking for (a new) one. After all, over 1500 members haven't submitted any work at all, and I don't know if this is related to "completed a block" or "completed a whole test"...
    I like your suggestions here. Of those 1500 members you mention a great many have run the client they just didn't run it long enough to complete a test and therefore their effort was totally wasted.

I personally think things are currently a bit backwards. The older, dedicated users who will complete tests are doing the smaller, quick tests while the new users who may or may not stick around are doing very large tests that many will never complete. Also with the client bug that sometimes aborts a test during a restart this makes it even more important for new users to have the shorter tests and the old hats who know how to get them restarted to have the longer tests.
    Last edited by TomPritchard; 09-04-2004 at 08:31 PM.

Moved to main forum, enjoy.