Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Results backlog

Results backlog

Note that we are currently experiencing a lag of up to an hour in processing uploaded results, i.e. real-time processing is approximately on those uploads that were sent an hour ago.

This is NOT due to any failures on our side, and the system is running smoothly. The backlog is likely a combination of users returning to DF after CASP, users working extra hard before the project shutdown, and the very small size of the protein (only 88 residues) contributing to more results than we can process at once. If you will leave your system as is and allow it to buffer results as intended by the ticketing system, we will be able to get through the backlog much faster. Thank you for your cooperation.
    Elena Garderman

If this is normal behaviour why have the amount of returned results dropped so much? Have you seen the stats here? This is not normal? I don't buy it and neither does anyone in this thread

Please don't just shrug this off! This is a genuine issue for many people.

Boinc'ing away
    was a bit :shocked: to see that the production rate has dropped from around 25,000,000-30,000,000 down to 5,000,000 since 0100 BST - would this hour lag explain such a huge drop?

of OCW's "Triple Nickle" Gortok's Avatar
    Forget it...choke on your 88 protein. :bs:

The way this has gone on and on and on (as nauseum), it's a surprise you've kept as many volunteers as you have for as long as you have. I suppose we're just fodder for jokes around there... ("Let's see how mad they get THIS weekend...").

I would suggest that before you guys decide to continue this project that some serious changes are made to ensure this kind of thing does not happen again. If you put out the word that Phase III is beginning and people find the same problems still exist, I think you'll have a hard time getting anything done at all. I doubt they'll come back.

It's not like it really matters what I think or say here any way, since you obviously don't give a damn about what we think.

I wish you the very best in life and in your endeavours. See ya...

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    I agree 110% Gortok. The way this project has been run is an absolute joke... and a bad one at that.
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Remember next time
    If the servers can't handle a 88 aa.
    DON'T send out a 88aa
    Proud member of The Genome Collective

relax people

Relax people, no worries mate whatever . . .

You cant deny that these circumstances are part of the whole experiance. Would we have been "talking" with each other without it ??

stop commenting, as i posted; the project stops when it hits 10 billion or on 1 okt wichever comes last (see the crew's posting)

so enjoy the extended folding !!
    DPC: We're going for the #1 again

I started an upload of an off-line folder at 22:20. After 75 minutes, it is verifying the upload of the third structure out of 86. 15 minutes per structure, 20 hours to upload 86 structures and I'm buffering 45 PCs right now. Hmm. Something wrong? Hell, yeah!

Backlog ??

Well, i'm not convinced that it's backlog.

Seen the low rate gens have been coming through, the backlog shoukd have cleared by now.

Originally posted by HaloJones
    15 minutes per structure, 20 hours to upload 86
    Dang, I wish I could get that kind of speed. I started one to upload buffered gens yesterday -- 24 hours later, 37 generations uploaded.

Well sicne I posted that it's uploaded an additional 15 so now it's 18 in 16 hours.

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    I got 1 boxen that may, just may, Upload 1 Gen before the Sun goes Nova Been trying to upload since the problems started and still no luck This is a very trying Protein indeed. You would think that with so many Folders stopping already the load on the Servers would have cleared. Most of my Boxen are Stopped now and just trying to Upload only

There is obviously some nonsense that occurs over the weekend that affects your Servers, that is fine. But please tell us what it is to at least make us a bit wiser as to what occurs
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Folding for Team JSI
    Originally posted by Grumpy
    I got 1 boxen that may, just may, Upload 1 Gen before the Sun goes Nova Been trying to upload since the problems started and still no luck This is a very trying Protein indeed. You would think that with so many Folders stopping already the load on the Servers would have cleared. Most of my Boxen are Stopped now and just trying to Upload only

There is obviously some nonsense that occurs over the weekend that affects your Servers, that is fine. But please tell us what it is to at least make us a bit wiser as to what occurs
    No use mate - they're off on a long weekend.

This, for me, is the final straw - I tried to upload the results from 1 offline box and got 60 gens up out of 357 in 30 hours.

NOTHING WRONG - GIVE ME A BREAK !!!!

Sorry guys but I'm outta here.

Re: Results backlog

Originally posted by Stardragon
    This is NOT due to any failures on our side, and the system is running smoothly.
    Puhleez!!!
    Don't urinate on me and then tell me it's just raining

Boinc'ing away

no sign of production increase after ~20 hours...

Every time I check the stats in the last day, I've noticed my "daily production" drop and my last update numbers plummet. From what I'm seeing, I'd have thought that pfb's graph should have continued dropping a little bit more. (In the last 8 hours, I've dropped from 49k per update to a mere 31k for the last update.)

At one time yesterday, I saw my daily production at 2.6mil (don't know how long after the problem appeared that was.. as I had 80+ buffered gens on that machine). It's now registering at 491k/day.

Something about the ticketing servers and/or their code is seriously flawed. This is the same kind of grief (significantly worse, however) that we've had each weekend during casp6. A system that chokes on the output of our dwindling group and now accepts a mere 1/6th (and still falling?) of the production is not acceptable. Some design choice needs to be changed so the ticketing servers can keep feeding the servers at near full speed - and not slow the system down to a crawl like this.

Any idea on when we should follow suit with all the people that are no longer folding, and just running -ut to get rid of their backlogged data before the Oct deadline?

It might be nice to have these problems rectified before the project returns - with better hardware/better design choices/better coding.
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

I'm running nonet. I have one directory trying to upload and if it ever completes, I'll restart online folding. I don't understand how some teams are getting so much through when I've uploaded practically nothing whatsoever. Is this a regional thing? Is it individual ticketing servers?

Dunno, but I had one box trying to upload 18 gens with "-ut" all last night. I shut it down around 11 this morning, with 4 gens left.

Pardonnez moi. Just checked. Make that 6 gens left. Phooey!
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Boinc'ing away
    Originally posted by tpdooley
    From what I'm seeing, I'd have thought that pfb's graph should have continued dropping a little bit more. (In the last 8 hours, I've dropped from 49k per update to a mere 31k for the last update.)
    An overall drop from 30 million to 4million over the past day is a big drop...maybe 4 million is just 1 server handling everything?

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    How the heck did you get 60 Gens to Upload We in Australia seem to e the worse off. The further from the Server the worse it is from what I can see, I am getting 1 Gen from 7 Boxen Uploaded every hour..oh yeah, this is just part of the Ticketing System..problem is, I have no Uploads but 3000 Tickets to Barrow Mannilo and 4000 to The Spice Girls Reunion Concert now
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Oh, in case this all bellies up in a sudden gust of wind, a big thanks to all thoser that made 3rd party software to help us have an easier and more fun time with DF..like pfb with DFMON and Jeff Gilchrist for DFGUI There are many more so please excuse my amnesia

Oh Damn, forgot the Stats Page People Big Group Hugs to you all too, especially to the person whose name I could never ever spell properly due to the nature of the brain injury I sustained ( really, not joking here, it is whacko ) It has a D and some Ys in it and it was us Stats Ho's reason for living for a long time until the Universe pulled a swifty on him You know who you are
    Last edited by Grumpy; 09-04-2004 at 08:17 PM.

Boinc'ing away
    wrt the backlog - one of my team members stopped DF late Friday but is still getting points coming through...there aren't any clients running on his handle - must be a helluva backlog to get through then...

of OCW's "Triple Nickle" Gortok's Avatar
    Originally posted by Grumpy
    Big Group Hugs to you all too, especially to the person whose name I could never ever spell properly due to the nature of the brain injury I sustained ( really, not joking here, it is whacko ) It has a D and some Ys in it and it was us Stats Ho's reason for living for a long time until the Universe pulled a swifty on him You know who you are
    That'd be Dyyryath, Grumps...And your right, we all owe these guys a huge "Thank You!"

I quit DF 3 weeks ago, will come back in PhaseIII when there's a client like TSC / D2OL
    Member of Dutch Power Cows
    (Number #1 overal winner)

40,000 buffered, 7 uploaded over night.

Sorry guys, but the only solution I found is :

Moved my PC to F@H. (Some days before upload/download).
    F@H Home Page

Will be happy to come back on DF for next version with I hope bigger proteins.

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    40,000 buffered, 7 uploaded over night.

Sorry Oops It is funny Mike, really it is

I thought 3000 was bad..Zip them all into a File and Email it to Elena..I should see her Mail Server Explode from down here

We'll get there

I've managed to upload the first 5 k since friday . . . we'll get there someday.

(1500 gens to go )

Boinc'ing away
    just checked a receipt.txt I had from Thursday (251 gens buffered, gen 0 has the receipt) and it says pending...that is a big backlog if gens from Thursday are still pending

long hours they have

Originally posted by pfb
    just checked a receipt.txt I had from Thursday (251 gens buffered, gen 0 has the receipt) and it says pending...that is a big backlog if gens from Thursday are still pending
    Stardragon mentioned 1 hour back-log. Canadian hours must be substantionally different than ours in Europe.
    Last edited by G_M_C; 09-06-2004 at 05:40 PM.

Re: long hours they have

Originally posted by G_M_C
    Stardragen mentioned 1 hour back-log Canadian hours must be substantionally different than ours in Europe.
    Member of Dutch Power Cows
    (Number #1 overal winner)

I haven't been able to upload even 1 gen in over 48 hours. I live in South Carolina. Now, I suddenly am getting a 901 error.

edit: excuse me, that's a 910 error.
    Last edited by AZ Lynx; 09-07-2004 at 08:22 AM.
    =^..^=
    AZ Lynx
    =^..^=

I've had this machine on, and trying to upload, for about 14 hours now. It's uploaded 6 gens (woohoo, only 98 to go! ).

No 901 errors though, at least not yet.
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima

"This is NOT due to any failures on our side, and the system is running smoothly."

Just had to get in one last kick in the nuts before we left? O.K, I am an idiot and believe that the problem is in all the folding rigs out here and not the server on your end. It has been 4 days and the backlog is as bad if not worse than Friday.

If you don't realy need the work from this protien, do us all a favor and just say so.I would love to move all 18 cpu's over to F@H asap.

I would suggest you make some MAJOR changes before the next phase.

Just shut it down and save us all the stupid excuses to follow!!!

Relaxt people

Relax people, I saw that Stardragon was logged in an hour ago . . . so she is aware of the problem.

I think they will soon report back

Hopefully they are able to correct the problem.

Personally i am curious to see exactly howmuch we have buffered the last few days. If the problem is corrected, we should see some record flushing to be done the next few hours . . .

Re: Relaxt people

Relax people, I saw that Stardragon was logged in an hour ago . . . so she is aware of the problem.
    There is no problem. All is well! All is well!

I think they will soon report back
    That would be a first!

Hopefully they are able to correct the problem.
    I told you, there is no problem!

Personally i am curious to see exactly how much we have buffered the last few days. If the problem is corrected, we should see some record flushing to be done the next few hours . . .

Followed by another slowdown that's our fault again just in time for the weekend.

maybe we should come up with some excuse ideas , surely they are running out of their own by now .... no doubt the next one will be servers are down due to the mass influx of buffered gens that are getting sent

Re: Re: Relaxt people

Followed by another slowdown that's our fault again just in time for the weekend.
    You've hit the nail on the head!.
    The "our fault thing" is what makes me loose all tact. Didn't we go thru this once before and have alot of folders go elswhere because of it? I love this DF project, but I hate the way it is handled. It would be better if they said nothing at all! I just want my $200+ electric bill to count for something, thats all

Pull the plug !

CASP is done, so i guess they're done wif us

Let's say good bye to DF

See u next time !!!

Originally posted by Hua Luo Han
    Pull the plug !
    Not before i get the chance to upload my growing buffer. I haven't produced them for the cow's ass . . .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast