Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Results backlog

I'd suggest that all the whining people here, leave the project and stop harrasing us with your negative attitudes.

Badgering the organization will not resolve any issues (and yes HaloJones, there are none, I know, it's getting old)
    Proud member of the Dutch Power Cows

Originally posted by [DPC]Mobster
    I'd suggest that all the whining people here, leave the project and stop harrasing us with your negative attitudes.

Badgering the organization will not resolve any issues (and yes HaloJones, there are none, I know, it's getting old)
    Yes, that is the answer! We will all just leave and everything will be wonderful. No sense in fixing the problem or voicing our opinions here. We will all just quit and move on. I think I will adopt that attitude in the rest of my life and just sit back and watch it dissolve into nothingness.

I am glad someone has a positive outlook on this. I mean it probably is our fault anyway and we should not badger those in charge asking them to fix a reaccuring problem that wastes hundreds of my dollars and hours of my time. What was I thinking?

Good bye and good luck.

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Rule #1..when everything crashes, ;augh and have a beer until it is fixed
    Rule #2..Goto Rule #1
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

On the contrary. To do nothing is negative. To complain and demand action is positive. I want this project to work so that the lasting impression at the end of this is not a project that faded away but one that went out with happy crunchers who are looking forward to its return!

It is getting old! Being told there are no issues is probably the root cause of much of the frustration here! There are many IT professionals who run DC projects and I for one do not appreciate being told that there is no problem!

Re: Relaxt people

Originally posted by G_M_C
    Relax people, I saw that Stardragon was logged in an hour ago . . . so she is aware of the problem.

I think they will soon report back

Here is my biggest problem with the project. Stardragon logged on 4 hrs ago and will not even post saying that they know there is a problem and they are working on it. It would take 30 seconds to do so and alot of the "badgering" would go away. Are they realy there? Are they realy working on it? WHO KNOWS?!!!

LET'S GET THIS BALL ROLLING! I would like to leave this project on a good note and an empty buffer. 24 hrs to upload 6 protiens, I might as well watch fungus grow.
    It's better to pay attention cause you can't afford free speech.

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    They just don't care 2fast. This is how it's been for a long time(maybe from the beginning but I wasn't here then).

DF is one project I wish was never even started(unless something good actually comes out of our dedication... which I doubt could considering how the project is run as a whole).

At any rate, D2OL has my attention now and FAD is up for a try next.

Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

These people have thousands of dollars in hardware and electric bills and time donated to DF and you have the nerve to ad insult to injury when they demand to know what is being done to correct the situation?

Dood go catch your short bus and paint something nice today.

Boinc'ing away
    Originally posted by HaloJones
    On the contrary. To do nothing is negative. To complain and demand action is positive. I want this project to work so that the lasting impression at the end of this is not a project that faded away but one that went out with happy crunchers who are looking forward to its return!

It is getting old! Being told there are no issues is probably the root cause of much of the frustration here! There are many IT professionals who run DC projects and I for one do not appreciate being told that there is no problem!
    I agree - this project should end on a good note to ensure that there is a user base who is likely to return to any future DF projects - at the moment there is a problem which is bigger than the original '1 hour backlog' (now more of a 4 day backlog)...

As it stands, all I want to do is upload the outstanding gens I have, turn of the stats and move on - which isn't really the kind of feeling that a project should end on if it is planning to return at some point in the future...I am going to leave the stats until the end as there are still people who are Folding for DF...

Given the current situation I would probably not return to DF - the last time it was like this was with the introduction of the ticket servers, the lost work and the babysitting of clients for around a week...

Hopefully the next day or so things will return to normal and there are no more problems up until the end...if it does, then all well and good...

Well, several more hours have past and still no sign of life. I think they are on a beach somewhere drinking those little drinks with the umbrellas in them.

HELLLLLOOOOOOO?????? IS ANYBODY OUT THERE?????

In Germany we say "Huehnerscheisse." (transl.: shit of chicken)
    In English: Let's go to another project. The DF team failed its exercises and its priorities for different topics.

DF's not for the whole world, and all the world's not for DF.

Agreed, but I would like to finish the project with a bang not a whimper.

Anyone asked for help ?

Did anyone (that has the info) already mail the df-crew ?

I know there are some teamleaders that have contact-inf and/or mail adresses. Maybe they could ask for advise ?

And i too like to see this resolved, so that i can say this project goodbeye with a good feeling and not with a bitter aftertaste !
    Last edited by G_M_C; 09-07-2004 at 03:24 PM.
    DPC: We're going for the #1 again

Boinc'ing away

under 1 million an update now (from 25-30 million) - either more people are stopping or it's getting worse

Originally posted by pfb
    under 1 million an update now (from 25-30 million) - either more people are stopping or it's getting worse
    OMG hope they havend pulled the plug on us, after the from somepeople !

I'm still interested in finding out why a system that can handle 30 mil updates slows down to the point where it's only accepting 1 mil per update. The system, as I understood it, was supposed to keep the server running at 30 mil per update (or whatever the maximum) - and tell any surplus to wait until there's spare processing time available. This isn't throttling the input - it's choking and making the problem much worse.
    www.thegenomecollective.com
    Borging.. it's not just an addiction. It's...

Originally posted by tpdooley
    I'm still interested in finding out why a system that can handle 30 mil updates slows down to the point where it's only accepting 1 mil per update. The system, as I understood it, was supposed to keep the server running at 30 mil per update (or whatever the maximum) - and tell any surplus to wait until there's spare processing time available. This isn't throttling the input - it's choking and making the problem much worse.
    I guess it has something to do with the fact that uploading the 88 residue structures is quite fast (like 1 sec a piece), while deciding that a ticket is required, and verifying the tickets on a busy server takes more than 30 seconds.

Originally posted by MrMr
    I guess it has something to do with the fact that uploading the 88 residue structures is quite fast (like 1 sec a piece), while deciding that a ticket is required, and verifying the tickets on a busy server takes more than 30 seconds.
    Except there are only 1413 active users of which a lot have given up and gone elsewhere already this week, and there is normally around 3,000 Active users on past proteins befor CASP6.
    OCAU

So another day goes by. Another "explanation" as to why it's so slow which no-one buys for a second. Another day of increasing frustration across the forums devoted to DF. Another day of previously dedicated, loyal contributors just giving up in disgust.

We told them on Thursday that something was wrong but were once again brushed off with the same old excuse that it was "normal behaviour". This is the "Offical Forum" of DF, linked directly from their own pages but where is the official involvement here.

I care about Distributed Folding. I think my stats prove that. I've devoted untold hours over the last two years to contribute the level I have. If I didn't care, I would have quit as soon as we were so brusquely told we weren't needed any more. But to be ignored like this is unacceptable. Not only that, it's downright rude! Elena doesn't even post her latest excuse in ths thread and Howard is nowhere to be seen.

Does DFHQ really want this project to finish with everyone quitting before the intended end date? Could any DC project have ever finished on such a low note?

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Iam sure I will wake up soon and find myself in the shower having a dream
    I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Both my machines are uploading now... I've gotten 98 gens up from one, and 50-60 (not exactly sure on how many it had buffered) from the other, sometime in the last 3 hours. Both of these machines have been running in -ut mode for the past few days (I wanted to wait to process actual work until I was sure the uploading wasn't going to give out). This is an order of magnitude (or two) faster than over the long weekend.

There are 770 gens buffered at work -- hopefully I can get them uploading tomorrow...
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima

I've been getting 21-34k points per update according to the wibble stats site; and I've now got 660k points since the last update on wibble; according to the blueprint site.

So things have improved. Whether it's just keeping up with us, or processing faster than we're uploading is something we'll have to wait and see..

Mine seem to be uploading 2 or 3 gens for every gen I complete.

If it keeps up like this, the backlog should be gone in a few days.
    Let the system work thru it, don't everyone set for -ut and we should make progress.

of OCW's "Triple Nickle" Gortok's Avatar
    It's working now?? :shocked:
    Big whoop...they got TWO servers running !! I really think they are toying with us...just to see how mad we can get.

RELAX, have a drink...no sense over HUGE power bills and wasted time.

I'm out....

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    We seem to be Uploading nicely now

Would have preferred this a few days ago

I hope this can continue smoothly for a while now (>one week, please!). If another slowdown appears, would someone please try bouncing your database server? I swear the recent performance profile matches what happens when the database server in any multi-tier architecture starts to slow either because of contention, loops or zombie processes.

We might be near the saturation point again. When I checked at 2am my time, I noticed my machine had uploaded about 50 buffered gens per hour while processing online. I had seen two updates where I'd uploaded a total of 1.2 mil and a little more than 1.3 mil. In the last 5 hours, it's uploaded about 60 gens; and I'm getting about 400k per update. It'd be nice to see one of pfb's stats charts to see if we're plateauing on uploads or if the system is being overwhelmed and starting to slow down again.

Boinc'ing away

peaked at just under 100,000,000 (highest I've seen it) and is around 55,000,000 at the moment - normally for this protein (well, before the problems) it was around 30,000,000...

(times are GMT+1)

so why did it start working in the middle of the night? the "extra server" got installed in the middle of the night?

something fishy about that
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Folding for Team JSI
    Originally posted by FoBoT
    so why did it start working in the middle of the night? the "extra server" got installed in the middle of the night?

something fishy about that
    Times on pfb's charts are BST - DF time would be early evening (7 o'clockish ?)

I'm wondering if the slow-down is because it's clearing it's backlog so there's less for it to do or if it's choking again.

Boinc'ing away
    it would've been around 8PM DF HQ time (if my timezone calc is correct)...

Originally posted by focus3
    I'm wondering if the slow-down is because it's clearing it's backlog so there's less for it to do or if it's choking again.
    I wouldn't say it's choking - 50,000,000 an update is around 40% more than we'd normally get...

Originally posted by focus3
    Times on pfb's charts are BST - DF time would be early evening (7 o'clockish ?)

ok, nevermind. so things look good
    Use the right tool for the right job!

pfb,

do you have a new map?

Mine look stalled again. Maybe working even, complete one upload one.

Still not fixed. Gens are backing up agian and output is dropping way off. Just pull the plug and put us all out of our missery! What a sad way to end such a great cause.

Angry stop whining . .

Originally posted by 2fast4u
    Still not fixed. Gens are backing up agian and output is dropping way off. Just pull the plug and put us all out of our missery! What a sad way to end such a great cause.
    I have not seen a dropdown for now, actually my last update seems to be the highest so far since things picked up (100 k, in stead of the usual 50 k).

So give it a little, and stop whining. Things are far better than a couple of days ago.

Re: stop whining . .

Originally posted by G_M_C
    I have not seen a dropdown for now, actually my last update seems to be the highest so far since things picked up (100 k, in stead of the usual 50 k).

So give it a little, and stop whining. Things are far better than a couple of days ago.
    Deleted all and started fresh and gens are still pilling up agian. This is a dead end road. See ya on the next one.

Don't worry, next time around you guys that think this is "whining" will be real happy. There won't be any more "whining". As a matter of fact I'll bet you'll be able to hear a pin drop in here...kind of like a tomb.

I'm watching a system that had about 1000 gens buffered before the server addition. For 6 hours, it averaged 50 gens/hour. Since then, it's averaged around 12 gens/hour. The buffered list is still getting smaller. As soon as all the online systems get caught up, the servers will only have about 50% of the current load from the online systems - and we'll have some happy offline uploaders as well.

According to pfb's stats site, the top 25 teams have been getting about the same amount total - so we don't seem to be slipping into an abyss yet; but I'm still perplexed about why for that first 6 hours we got such incredible performance, and then it dropped down to less than 50% of the max scoring speed. It's an aspect of the ticketing server setup that just doesn't make sense ...

Looks like ticketing server 110 is having problems keeping in sync with database - as soon as validation is required from it, it doesn't respond. Other ticketing servers seem to be unaffected, though.

Getting "110" receipt.txt by the dozen. Most of my farm is waiting on that one web server.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast