Thread: [Q] Upload frequency?

[Q] Upload frequency?

Hey all!

I was under the impression that the upload should go every 5k structures. I'm running on a reasonably large cluster and regardless of whether I migrate with my Mosix cluster or run on the smaller non-clustered machines, I seem to go a looong number of sequences without an upload. I only have one .bz file, but progress.txt shows (for example) "building structure 65840 4160 until next upload" I'm running with the -qt switch but no others other than the standard command line you get when you unpack it.

These are all Linux-based machines, kernel 2.4.17 w/Mosix or kernel 2.4.12 without... Machines are all either TBird 1.4s or 1700XP and 1800XPs. Bandwidth in my little home cluster that outgrew my home is redundant full T-1 bridged (3Mbit up and down), so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

Is what I'm seeing typical behavior? Does the progress.txt not reset after an upload? Am I just seeing the continuing count? Actually, quick off the cuff math suggests that's true, as I could then account for my recorded production. Think I just answered my own question, but I'll await confirmation...

Hey Silly Kaaaaaannnniiii-gi-it/MGuy - I'm coming for you! BWAHAHAHAHA! (Tired of the worthless G@H client. So they lose their top 1 or 2 (depending upon the day) producer and I get to come over here and make things miserable for you...)

Senior Member KWSN_Millennium2001Guy's Avatar
    Jodie, welcome to the finest DC client and project running. I look forward to the day you pass me. There are now several others gunning for my spot that have more power than I can muster.

Howard (the lead developer and customer support) is a dream on this project. He has unlocked a stubborn firewall and has made his client work for me where others have failed. He added NTLM proxy authentication which allows me to run the client without having to lose any network security.

Yes, you did answer your own question. The status in the progress.txt file shows your TOTAL units processed in that directory, plus the count down till the next upload.

Shrub on! and Ni!

Super! Thanks for the quick response!

The client looks a lot more mature, as does the project as a whole. It's great to have responsive staff, too!

(If you still need help with the BeOS client, Howard, let me know. I've a *lot* of BeOS porting experience - as well as porting experience on just about any flavor of any SysV (or 3 or 7) and BSD and derivitives there-of)

Looks like there may be more horsepower around these parts that I can personally muster, too. I'm kinda adverse to running office machines on a DC project - so my estimated 25-30mil/wk are all home-grown...

I'll worry about it when I'm a little closer to you, though. A few hundred million head-start will take awhile to erase... Just don't slack off or I'll be on you like stink!

And thanks again for the welcome!

Jodie:

Hi, thanks for your offer on BeOS. There are just two 3rd party software libraries which need to be built on BeOS to get it working, both of which we have complete source code for. One is the NCBI toolkit (with details on where to get it in another thread somewhere around here). Someone named Peter Moore is already helping on this one, but not sure how far he's gotten.

The other is a Codebase database library. It ALMOST works.. If you are interested in looking at Codebase please e-mail me at trades@mshri.on.ca and I can provide more details.

P.S. Sounds like you got a lot of computers. I look forward to someone finally surpassing our own cluster on this project, could you be the one?
    Howard Feldman

Thanks for the welcome.

I will email you on the BeOS end when I get back from NYC, assuming you don't have it all shot by then. We're in the middle of rolling a major release out the door.... Sure you know how that goes - so I'm swamped until the end of the month anyway. After that my time should lighten up a bit. I'll send along my exec bio and CV for your perusal if you like - might give you some idea of where my skillsets are so you know if there's anything I can help you with.

Naw, I certainly won't be the first to upset your applecart. I'm "just that girl, you know, the one with a bunch of computers?"

Marc and 2kG have first dibs on you. I'm running between two and three in production right now - so it'd be awhile anyway.

My farm's not all that big. About 75Ghz of clustered computing and another 25ish stand alone. Its real 'claim to fame', I think, is that it's wholely owned and operated by me as an individual. I've built every machine, I pay the electric bill, I hire an electrician to get enough power in, I have to deal with cooling it in SacramentoSummer. My office cluster is about 30x the size and a lot more professional. But as you can imagine - it has real work to do. I'd be willing to bet there's not all that many clusters running around owned by an individual that will cause much damage to it.

That said - my basic MO is to just chug along until I make the top fifteen or twenty - and then make a run at the top players. I'll need to double my farm to stop the blood letting that 'Marc' is dishing out.

I have a couple hundred processors in Sparc'n, Mips'n and Alpha land. But I think I'd better run the numbers and see if turning them on is more cost effective than just adding more AMD horsepower. My suspicion is it doesn't add up and I'll just need to build some more XP and 'Birds...

Anyway, enough rambling. Nice to see a project where the coder actually participates in the forum! Good for you!

Sweet mother of....

Wow.

Welcome to the project.

I suppose many women are used to men drooling over them, but this might well be the first time it is a ladie's 'computers' causing the drooling.

The client has been very stable for a couple of months now, the only real concerns being during protein switchovers which should occur every couple months and which go smoothly on most, but not all, computers/OSes/configurations. I am hoping that the project is about to pick up heavily so that we can avoid slogging through these long runs on slower proteins and get primed for running proteins from the upcoming CASP5 competition.

BTW, got any links to pics or information about your "farm?" A lot of people do, it would be especially interesting to see the cluster, I haven't heard of any individual having a HOME cluster of that magnitude.

Either way, welcome to the project and from what I infer, KWSN's stats are about to go through the roof?

Either way, welcome to the project and from what I infer, KWSN's stats are about to go through the roof?
    hmmmm... no.

Jodie crunches for OverClockers Network (OCN) ... see for yourself here

BTW... welcome to the project Jodie...

Aw.

No wonder they have been producing so well lately.

Thanks for the warm welcome, all!

I've not been publishing pics of my cluster/farm (except way early on)

It outgrew my house - basically SMUD wasn't willing to pull enough power into the garage - and it was starting to displace my cars and stuff anyway.

So I rented a small commercial suite for it, but then had real cooling issues. So I bought a bunch of 'ghetto ac' for it, and had a few hundred amps pulled into the suite.

There's a couple things that concern me with pictures -

1) Security. I've not spent much money on securing my suite. I'd hate to have some scum recognize pictures floating around the 'Net and come clean me out... No one here - but once on the 'Net, forever on the 'Net...

2) Because it's in a commercial space, fire-code and building-code become a reality. Are my shelves atleat 38" apart? I'm I OSHA compliant? Did I run short of cord and plug one power strip into another somewheres along the line? Is zip-tying low-voltage network cable to a structural cross member legal? --- You get the idea. See "scum" above... I've had enough ick from fire marshals, building and OSHA inspectors in my life to leave me not wanting any more. If someone gets a wild hair and OSHA gets involved and I see a $200,000 bill to make the farm wheelchair accessible or some stupidity, well, that'd be the end of it.

----

I had a power failure in the 'hood yesterday. Took me an hour to get everything back up and humming. So my stats should be picking back up again now. And yes, I proudly crunch for OCN!

I don't think I've ever had guys chase me for my 'puters. Hmmm.

Anyway, thanks again!

Yeah, didn't want to pry or anything. Just curious.

Get a humidifier in there and you can have a sauna, eh?

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar

Cool

Now that is simply amazing!

I'm stunned! :shocked:

I've never heard anything like that!

Welcome to the Distributed Folding Project - hope you will like it here
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

My farm's not all that big. About 75Ghz of clustered computing and another 25ish stand alone. Its real 'claim to fame', I think, is that it's wholely owned and operated by me as an individual. I've built every machine, I pay the electric bill, I hire an electrician to get enough power in, I have to deal with cooling it in SacramentoSummer. My office cluster is about 30x the size and a lot more professional. But as you can imagine - it has real work to do. I'd be willing to bet there's not all that many clusters running around owned by an individual that will cause much damage to it.
    Is there such a thing as 'love at first thread'?
    Gibs. They're not just for breakfast anymore.

Jodie... will you marry me?! ill move my 14 ghz into ur suite

Originally posted by Jodie

My farm's not all that big. About 75Ghz of clustered computing and another 25ish stand alone.
    /Faints and falls of chair

I wonder if Jodie is into polygamy.

Matt

Courting a girl for her farm and it ends-up in Tech Support. THAT'S GOT to be original...