Thread: Distributed Computing Project restrics participation for political reasons!

This has got to be the most interesting thing I've ever seen from the distributed computing community. Lucky me I wouldn't touch the project with a 10 foot pole even if I wasn't blocked

"The P.I.E.S. project owner has blocked his project website from viewers (and potential participants) in the US, the UK, Australia, Denmark, and other countries which "support the US's war on Iraq." This is the first project to restrict participation for political reasons."

has been eaten by a grue.
    Not a well thought-out protest. It'd be a better idea to design a dc project that benefited Iraq somehow. Not sure how you'd do that.

The government, of whatever country, despite the rhetoric, is not the people. Not to mention, I can think of several fairly easy ways to trick a server into thinking I originate in whatever country I wish.

But, people are free to be silly, and I'm free to ignore them.

I think it's hard enough for a small time distributed computing project to rally support and participants. Something like that could complely devistate the project entirely. Then again, it's also a good way to get people to their site.

I agree, they are free to do whatever they want. Just remember "to judge is to be judged".
    Warning this Post is Rated "M" for Mature

-Contains Harsh Language
    -L337 HaX0r W3RD2!
    -Partial Nudity

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape drive somewhere.

Supreme Grand High Overlord Nexus's Avatar
    Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

1) I wouldn't run this project anyway.

2) Anyone dumb enough to block entire nations from participating on the assumption that every one of their inhabitants supports what's gone on in Iraq, doesn't deserve participants.

3) Political fanaticism and mathematical research don't mix.

This restriction is stupid.
    For example: Czech Republic crunchers has been banned for sending field hospital (!) to Iraq, which already helped 1000+ civillians.

Yes, war in Iraq wasn't probably best thing to do, but if they manage to keep radicals at gates or farther, things could slowly turn better for Iraqis (my opinion).

And as Nexus said, math and politics shouldn't be mixed.
    So this project's off limits for me.

(not to mention, that you can be unblocked, if you PROVE that you've anti-war sentiment [should fotograph myself wearing some hippie stuff?? ] - DC is supposed to attract users not tell them to go somewhere else)
    rm -Rf /

what does the project do? (what info. does the client produce?)

where is the project based? (what country?)

is it a pro-meglomanic/mass murderer/ruthless dictotor project? is it a DC project designed to develop biological weapons for terrorists?

whatever
    Use the right tool for the right job!

the galacticly inept and far reaching lack of coherent thought that manifests itself in many forms has once again found a way to poke its tiny little cranium out from under the rock of total ridiculousness so that those of us who for some reason were fortunate enough to catch common sense as children and avoid the masses of lemmings who were herded into groups and inoculated against it would once again have a reason to celebrate the joy of free thought instead of existing in the fog of pre-programmed thought that is the joy of those who were left behind as the machine that we know as education rolled past without granting them the benefit of self improvement through shared knowledge.

I am saddened by the many individuals who would be appalled by any individual or group whom they felt were attempting to force there opinion or belief on the world who then turn around and use the same tactics and justification to fix the problem with there own form of forced compliance which is no more offensive then book burning.

I am proud to live in a world where the opportunity to better myself is only a choice away and as flawed as the world may seem to some vision impaired individuals it is the flaws themselves that make what we have worth keeping.

don't forget that without the flaws you would not seek change and change is the prerequisite for choice and choice is one of the cornerstones to freedom.

the cold hard fact of life is that the war in Iraq when broken down to its most basic elements is no different from any other war fought at any other time in history. it is the reaction of individuals and groups who disagree in some way with another individual or group in some way.

eventually the immovable object and the unstoppable force hit each other and those who survive the wreckage are given the opportunity to learn from it or not.

there once was a group that chose a way of life. but soon they realized that the way of life they chose could not continue to exist as long as another groups way of life was allowed to exist. the 1st group began to exterminate the 2nd group. other groups that stood by and watched eventually chose sides and the outcome was the first group being eliminated because the other groups feared that once the 1st group eliminated the 2nd group would one of the other groups then become the target of the 1st group.

using this formula the nazi's could be the 1st group the jews the 2nd and the other groups america, england, japan and so on.

or maybe the 1st group is muslim and the 2nd is christian and the other groups Buddhist and hindu and others

or maybe the 1st group is christian and the 2nd is muslim and the others ?

you see how this can play out.....

dont forget that without the flaws you would not seek change and change is the prerequisite for choice and choice is one of the cornerstones to freedom.

nature and the symbiont circle of life will eventually even out the scales who is left comes down to the survival of the fittest .

remember that as a general rule of life no species ever chose as a whole to be extinct.

wow that was deep

A99
    Entry: lunatic
    Function: adjective
    Definition: crazy
    Synonyms: absurd, baked, balmy, bananas, batty, bonkers, cracked, crazed, daft, demented, deranged, dippy, flaky, flipped out, foolish, freaked out, gone ape, idiotic, insane, irrational, kooky, loco, loony, mad, maniac, maniacal, nonsensical, nuts, nutty, preposterous, psyched out, psycho, psychotic, schizoid, screwy, stupid, unhinged, unsound, wacky, whacko, zany
    Concept: health (poor)

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Right ON A99
    deep, meaningful, thoughtful & totally correct...
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

This thread is more than 4 months old, and I still don't know what the damn project seeks to accomplish!!!!!

Originally posted by jasong
    This thread is more than 4 months old, and I still don't know what the damn project seeks to accomplish!!!!!
    10 months and we don't know. I'm guessing it has something to do with prime numbers(most math projects do)

This forum really needs some life.

The question that someone should ask is, "who really cares about either that project or what it does?" They found an interesting way to get some publicity and pulled a stunt.

But what if it is particularly beneficial to mankind in some way? Don't know. Don't care. I very much doubt it. They made their choices and made their statement - well, then good for them.

I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over them... In fact, I've already over-participated in their FUD campaign by taking a minute or so to type this. Not worth it....
    FreeDC Mercenary

I'm not sure how long it's been true, but now it's based in the UK(wasn't that originally a banned country?) and apparently no longer restricts users.

Or am I thinking of a different project?