Thread: Need new project

Need new project

Hey guys, whassup? I don't post often, but figure I could start a thread in hopes of finding a new community(forum) to hang out in.

A little background: I've been trying to get a job for my hard-working, mentally ill butt for about 3 months. Because of my handicap, I live comfortably, but dirt poor, off a government check. I allow myself $100 a month mad money to spend on music, hanging out, and upgrading for DC(one computer). When I finally get a job and feel a little safer about the amount of money in the bank, I hope to get in some serious DCing.

I'm giving you the opportunity(okay now I'm sounding cheeky), to invite me to a new project. I've tried Find-a-Drug, and right now I'm on a long-running Folding@Home protein which will end sometime Friday morning. So you have at least 2 and a half days to sell your project to me and anybody else reading this thread.

For me personally, I have no interest in prime numbers or cryptography. I am also very prejudiced against United Devices since I believe their Think client and the way they run their program is equivalent to doggy-doo. This has nothing to do with the people who give their cpu time to that project, it's just the way I feel about the decisions the collaborators have made. No matter how many people get involved in that project, it'll probably still be tainted in my mind.

Now that I've probably offended at least 10 people, post away.

You can get smaller work units on Folding@Home if you setup the client to only get work units with no deadline. Typically you won't get any 400 frame units that way.

I know D2OL is looking for more volunteers to push them into 2nd place, you may look into that. DPAD is also an interesting project and runs well on slower computers.
    Warning this Post is Rated "M" for Mature

-Contains Harsh Language
    -L337 HaX0r W3RD2!
    -Partial Nudity

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape drive somewhere.

Since this is Free-DC, I'd say fold/crunch/calculate what you think is good and whatever interests you.

I am a stats person myself. As long as there are lovely stats around, that is the project that I'll go to. So, my current project is D2OL, with Bok's awesome stats to keep me going.

Here's a few reasons to consider D2OL (or TSC) in your hunt:

1) great stats that update every hour: http://stats.free-dc.org/new/teamsta...l&team=Free-DC

2) hints from the project admin that the project may be producing useful results: http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...&threadid=8017

3) optional tool for realtime status reporting of your node(s):
    http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...&threadid=6568

4) a trouble free client. But it also averages 1 WU (candidate) every 45 mins (approx), can process a cache of up to 2000 WUs offline, and does not require significant bandwidth.

I would help out on D2OL, but the client freezes on any computer I install it on
    Warning this Post is Rated "M" for Mature

-Contains Harsh Language
    -L337 HaX0r W3RD2!
    -Partial Nudity

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape drive somewhere.

jassong, I say go D2OL. The Free-DC team REALLY needs the push to take Team Anandtech. Hopefully this can be accomplished in less time than listed (I'm debating on taking my ONLY FaD client offline to help).

Go D2OL!

-Jeff
    Distributed Hold'em

has been eaten by a grue.
    Whatever you like is good. I know we'd enjoy to see you over at F@H. We should get into the top 100 teams by the end of the year, if things continue to go well. This may not sound very exciting, but I'm having a blast checking team stats over there to see our progress. It is quite a change from being number 1 in DF from forever.

Which DC project is optimal for your OS and your archetecture is another matter. Are you running a Mac? Intel? AMD? Windows? Linux? Free BSD? OSX?

I might add that for some jobs, DC projects can actually be used on a resume or in a job interview to show teamwork, technical skills and stuff like that. It is all in how you spin it.

Supreme Grand High Overlord Nexus's Avatar
    You can choose any client you want, but we can always use another crucher over at DPAD. We've got a team or two in our sights that can conceivably be caught so any processor power you can spare would be very handy.

Nexus