Thread: Everything you need to know - Join in the fun!

Post Everything you need to know - Join in the fun!

For XP and Windows 2000 users:

Downlaod the latest client and install it
    Run SB to Set up your account and get client running.
    Click on the Config Button.
    Name: 'screenName' (name to look for in the stats)
    Team: 60 (Team you want to join and track stats)
    Save the config and then exit the client.
    DO NOT enable "Autostart on Windows Boot" for service install.

open a command prompt, go to the drive and directory (folder) where SB.exe was installed and will be running from and type:

SOBSVC -i (to install SB service)
    net start "Seventeen or Bust service" <enter> or
    net stop "Seventeen or Bust service" OR
    use the Start/Run: services.msc <enter> and start SB Service manually.
    SOBSVC -p:2 for Duals
    SOBSVC -p:4 for Intel Xeons and P4s with H/T boost enabled (check BIOS!).
    then go read what the other command line switches do in the
    ReadMeNT.txt for further tweaking, rarely needed for most.

if you decide to shift your processor power to another project
    SOBSVC -u (to uninstall SB service)

That sound about right?

Creating a new sticky thread on how to get started, join the team, quick setups, and client tweaks etc., if someone wants to toss more information into that thread, so it accurately reflects 'todays' newest client, tweaks, processor specific information and of course a list of all the current stats sites, should help round it out nicely.
    :sleepy:

Once it is installed as a service, how do you monitor the clients in Windows?

Re: Everything you need to know - Join in the fun!

Originally posted by IronBits
    [
    Once it is installed as a service, how do you monitor the clients in Windows? [/B]
    Using the service handler, "enable desktop to interact" or someshitlikethat.

Run the SB.exe gui client?
    I don't have a dual yet, didn't know if SB was multi-client aware and it could display progress/performance individually, or just a single total scoring etc.
    without SB trying to start up yet another client (service/client collisions?) ...

When the service allows interaction with the desktop,
    you will get the icons in the tray...
    They will show k/n pairs and cems/sec etc...
    You will see... someday that is.

Originally posted by IronBits
    Run the SB.exe gui client?
    I don't have a dual yet, didn't know if SB was multi-client aware and it could display progress/performance individually, or just a single total scoring etc.
    without SB trying to start up yet another client (service/client collisions?) ...

Free-DC's Prime Search
    I am having a good fight with Lexx.
    Who wants to join us?

Lexx,

Wait until I get home, big dump coming! You will have to add more computers if you want to catch me. Hehe.

Carlos

How do you set the priority on the SOBSVC to idle so that way it uses up as much resources as it can?

I installed the SOB GUI, filled out the info for my machine that I'm borging, then did the instructions to get the SOBSVC running. It's running, but it's not using ANY CPU cycles. I need to know the command to drop it to IDLE priority. Stupid System Idle Process has all the CPUs so they're going to waste!!!

It's a 2.7GHz Celeron w/ 512MBs of SDRAM. I know this thing should do better than my 2GHz AMD Sempron when it comes to cEM/s so I wanna get it fired up ASAP.

Please help!!!

-Jeff
    Distributed Hold'em

Well...I -think- I've got it working. I'm not sure though. I may have to restart the client everytime they change usernames (it's my roommates' computer). I restarted the service and all of a sudden all 100% is being used by "Local Machine". It's not showing the service on any of the usernames but maybe by making the whole computer run it no matter whom is using it will not show the service up. I'll look at my stats and see if it's feasible to be producing what I am with my AMD alone here in the next couple of updates. I know what I do a day and if it that starts to jump I'll know that I've done something right....

I wish IUPUI would've gone for the idea to put all their computers to use using DC projects.

We have well over 2-3 Terahertz of computing power and I think running a math based or medical based project on all of them would've been awesome....too bad the tech guys said no. They want to really bad themselves but the biggest problem is that the school isn't a private one so of course there are a lot of rings to jump through to get the ball even rolling and no one is willing to do it....

-Jeff

P.S. I am hoping this Flash MX thing I downloaded works. I wanna make a few cheap animations and then I am gonna make a game for FreeDC if I can learn it well enough where you have to Borg as many computers to process for DC projects in the shortest amount of time possible.

Maybe it'll star Fozzie....
    Distributed Hold'em

any chance of an instal guide for linux?? i am using fedora core 5.

Download the client here
    http://www.seventeenorbust.com/download/

mkdir sob
    cd sob
    tar -xvfz sb250-Linux.tar.tz
    edit the sbclient.conf file and make sure the following is used

ServerAddress sb.pns.net
    ServerPort 1717

Username crankytech

Team 60 (assuming you want Free-DC)
    LogFile sclient.log
    LogToConsole 1
    MaxLogSize 100
    PriorityLevel 5
    # 1 - Enable
    # 0 - Disable
    Transmit 1
    MaxReportRetries 0
    MaxRetries 0
    RetryWait 1200

Save sclient.conf, then type the following
    ./sb
    It should take right off.

i am really new to this. i am running BOINC and rosetta@home and joined the Free-DC team, but the language i keep reading in all the forums is basically greek to me. can someone please explain this to me in laymans terms so i can understand what this is about. also, where are those charts coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by pogueatl
    i am really new to this. i am running BOINC and rosetta@home and joined the Free-DC team, but the language i keep reading in all the forums is basically greek to me. can someone please explain this to me in laymans terms so i can understand what this is about. also, where are those charts coming from?
    pogueatl,

Seventeen or Bust (SoB) is not using the BOINC framework. It is a stand alone project.

If you have BOINC installed, please head over to the BOINC forum at http://www.free-dc.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69.

If you are interested in SoB, then you will have to download a new client over at their official website at: http://seventeenorbust.com/download/

Do you have to be connected to the internet 24/7 to run this project? I'm thinking about putting my AMD duallie on this one for awhile!
    THE MORE I WORK ON MY COMPUTERS,THE MORE HAIR I LOSE!!

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Quote Originally Posted by n7vxj
    Do you have to be connected to the internet 24/7 to run this project? I'm thinking about putting my AMD duallie on this one for awhile!
    Very annoying and too complicated to run it on an offline machine.

Carlos

No, you can configure it so that it doesn't need to contact the Server everytime it finishes a partial WU.

Quote Originally Posted by IronBits
    No, you can configure it so that it doesn't need to contact the Server everytime it finishes a partial WU.
    Its a checkbox in the config button, "Transmit intermediate Blocks" uncheck.

Do I need to do anything special to run it on my duallie, so that it uses both cpu's?

I checked the task manager and it doesn't show sob using any cpu cycles.Whats the problem and how do I fix it?

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Do I need to do anything special to run it on my duallie, so that it uses both cpu's?
    You have to install it as a service under windows. See the first post in this thread for details.

Welcome to SoB

Bok

Bok, I I went to the command prompt, and typed in SOBSVC -i like the instructions said.I went into windows explorer, and clicked on the 17 twice, and now I have 2 17's in the taskbar, or whatever its called, now.Does that mean it's running?

No mate don't do that.

You need to do a bit more and you will probably be running the same WU. Check the K and N numbers.

The way to run it via the service is to firstly install it, which you have done.

Next you need to set the number of clients

sobsvc p:2 for two instances ie for duals and HTs

there are more switches too to set affinity etc.

To start them you'll need to go to the services manager via the MMC and select start on the seventeen or bust service.
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

Fozzie, the 2 17's in the taskbar go from light blue to dark blue, and show percentages when I put the cursor over them, so it must be running.I just checked the stats at the website, and they show me at 94th place on the team.

Blog Entries
    They will be running, but both doing the same piece of work. Stop them both.

Then go to start->run and type services.msc and hit ok.

Scroll down the list until you come to Seventeen or Bust, right click it and hit start. You should see two instances start again. Look at each one and make sure they are doing different k and n numbers.

If it only starts one, stop the service and follow Fozzies advice to tell it to run two (I don't have to do this normally though myself on my dualcores).

Bok

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Bok maybe not I accidently ran the service and the SOB client and I've got 2 Wu's but so don't know if it's the same as when running SB twice..
    I stopped using the Service as well I stop the client but not the service and then close the client and Im not conviced it doesn't actually start up again - with no visible signs..
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

What's this about?

I stopped the client (taskbar version - Windows - not service) to change the setting about "return intermediate blocks" and when I restarted the client it seemed to have gone to the server and grabbed a new WU.

This seems to be the case since the current pending tests page on SOB shows me with two WUs:
    741133 55459•2^12381418+1 63.226.217.64 Wed Nov 8 02:01:55 2006 never 0 % -0
    740273 55459•2^12064990+1 63.226.217.64 Sat Nov 4 22:32:43 2006 Wed Nov 8 02:00:05 2006 3525001 29 % 1888931
    Is this what LAURENU2 was complaining about on the SOB forum? Am I going to lose all the credit for the incompleted WU when it times out? How can I restart it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus
    I stopped the client (taskbar version - Windows - not service) to change the setting about "return intermediate blocks" and when I restarted the client it seemed to have gone to the server and grabbed a new WU.

This seems to be the case since the current pending tests page on SOB shows me with two WUs:

Is this what LAURENU2 was complaining about on the SOB forum? Am I going to lose all the credit for the incompleted WU when it times out? How can I restart it?
    Yes it is I lost close to a year of computer time to that Glitch when a power outage hit here

you can try doing this it does not always work but worth a shot
    http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7434

Stats God in Training Darkness Productions's Avatar
    Trying to run this on my box at work... I've changed the Host to sbp.pns.net, and the port to 80. If I try to hit that address in a browser, it comes back with a blank page (no firewall trap though). But whenever the client tries to access it, it fails...

Any suggestions?

It is looking for port 1700
    server.host = sb.seventeenorbust.com | sbp.pns.netserver.port = 1700
    server.proxy.enabled = yes | no (if 'no' other server.proxy. skipped)
    server.proxy.type = socks5
    server.proxy.host = proxy.mydomain.com
    server.proxy.port = 1080
    server.proxy.username = proxyuser
    server.proxy.password = secret
    http://wiki.seventeenorbust.com/inde...tConfiguration

Blog Entries
    A Question
    If a PC gets unplugged from the network does the client save the packets to send later or are they lost?

Blog Entries
    they are saved...

next time it connects it will transmit all the blocks it has saved up..

www.amdusers.com
    OK haven't found what I need so far so here's my question.
    Background -
    Running 4 clients as a service on a Q6600 and setup the gui originally to transmit intermediate blocks. I can see the 4 "17" icons in the Win XP Pro SP3 system tray and they change color from light to dark blue as work is being crunched.

How do I monitor the progress of the task, not just the intermediate blocks' progress?

You'll have to click on the taskbar icon and open the GUI to check the full test progress.

Alternately, you can go to http://seventeenorbust.com/account/testsPending.mhtml to view all your pending tests at once. (You'll have to be logged in to the SoB website first if you aren't already)

A quick search in the official SOB Forum came up with this
    http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...hlight=monitor

or more specifically
    http://devel.bluetentacle.co.uk/inde...e=dcmonitor-v1

Thanks for the link, IB - I hadn't seen that program before.

One thing I noticed that may affect vaughan's setup is that in order for the program to monitor multiple clients running on a single machine, each client must be run from it's own separate directory instead of as a service...

www.amdusers.com
    Enderak, your advice was the piece of information I needed.

IB, I had forgotten about that utility, Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I canot get it to work on my home network. ALL the PCs are on the same Workgroup name and are visible using Logmein Free and Logmein Ignition and even with VNC but they just won't talk to DCMonitor.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    vaughan, I think there it's bugging out with \\server\shared-folder it works if you map the \\server\shared-folder to a drive say Z etc then it works. I'd just share the SoB folder as root with no modifcation possible by other users as all it needs to do is read the log - will tell you if it's running or not as well.
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

www.amdusers.com
    Could someone point me to a post or thread summarizing the SOB service switches please? (Win XP Pro SP3 32 bit). TIA.

In most of the forums each project should have a sticky on how to get started.
    So I went to the Free-DC SOB forum and looky what I found.
    http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8086

I was presented with a question that I have no idea how to reply to on SOB. If anyone had experiance with this it would sure help out.
    "question? if I'm running service on 4 cores and stop it and start the single client, will it finish the 4 sets I was running before downloading new data?"
    Terry

Short answer is no. Service and single client are different.