Thread: performance of 2.3.0 on various CPU's

Angry performance of 2.3.0 on various CPU's

...being a n00b, i dl'ed the client and started to plug away at this (SoB). My usual computer is an Athlon64 3000+ with 1.5GB DDR n stuff. My other boxes are a mixture of Celeron-D's, 532's, and a couple of P4E's. I tried searching through the Forums, but cannot find an answer to this dillema: My box with the Celeron-D 2.26 is outproducing (by 1,000,000+) my Athlon64 box. At first, I thought it was the flavor of Winblows (XP PRO) on the A64 box.....changed it to Server2003 x64....made very little difference. This particular system runs approx. 1,190,000 cEMs/sec while my slowest POS Celeron-D runs the same crap (through WinXPPRO) at well over 2,200,000. The P4's chug right along with the Celly, while the 532 3.4 drops in a 2,600,000.

WTF? Am I missing something?

TIA

qbnkiller

yes and know the answer is on chip optimization, the only thing your missing is the optimization on the AMD which is not available.

The AMD is a very good rig and does have sse2 support, which makes it better than a regualr athlon XP's, however the clock speed of the athlon is low compared to the celerons etc.

In other words your ?~1800 mhz? Sthlon64 3000+ is doing very very well compared to a 1800 mhz P4, but poorly compared to a P4-3000.

Also your comment on the celery's compared to the P4, the clock speeds are the same but the cache is different. This goes to show that the cache doesn't help much, on the AMD in day to day applications it's huge athlon cache crushes that little celery right!! This is the main reason for the PR rating scheme from AMD and intel (532) etc.

Your best bet for the athlon is sieving, I suggest that you check out this section of the forum, download the proth client and reserve a range for that A64. I prefer sieving to prp, which is what 2.3.0 does.

Also for those P4's you have HT correct? ARe you running two instances of the program with the service install? This will help those P4's output by as much as 50%.

Let me know if you need a hand or have more questions

My AMD FX55 has SSE3
    I assume it's just as fast as the P4 now

Sieve it, baby!
    Originally posted by IronBits
    My AMD FX55 has SSE3
    I assume it's just as fast as the P4 now
    The client doesn't use SSE3 - AFAIK, George said that the extensions are of little use for GIMPS/SoB/..., although some of them ought to be specialzed for mathematical computations...

btw:
    I prefer sieving to prp, which is what 2.3.0 does.
    means that 2.3.0 does prp, not that 2.3.0 prefers sieving to prp. Just in case of misunderstandings.