Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: you can now do double checks with normal accounts

I've switched over two more of my machines to second pass today from normal work.

I love 67607
    I also switched one of my machines to secondpass. It will start crunching those tiny tests as soon as it finishes it's current test.

I switched 3 AMD64 to SecondPass today, and I'm letting them finish the JRC work they are on.
    Questions:
    1) When they finish normal work, will they get assigned SecondPass work automatically?

I noticed on another computer that I put on SecondPass on a fresh install,
    the work level of cEM/s are way DOWN compared to JRC/1st Pass.
    2) Will there be an adjustment of credit equal to 1st pass testing?

the different readout is because cem/s are not a perfect unit. In version 3 this unit will be replaced by something else and all credit should be adjusted likewise.

I love 67607
    1) normally, they should be assigned SecondPass work automatically.

Just to let people know firstpass is pulling away from second-pass...

Here are the numbers from May2 to May9

que #tests n-value

May 2
    secondpass, 78127, 1883165
    firstpass, 26551, 8985046
    May 9
    secondpass, 77680, 1891166
    firstpass, 25410, 9026614

So basically first pass n has increased from 8985046 to 9026614 by 41568
    and the second pass n has increased from 1883165 to 1891166 by 8001

As for #tests, we did 1141 firstpass tests vs 447 secondpass tests.

Regardless the effort in secondpass is much better than the secondpass effort we had in the past. So I would say that we should pat ourselves on the back but still be concerned.

hehe.
    on the found prime.

now we also have less secondpass jobs i guess.

uhm, in talking about secondpas jobs within DPC.
    someone said that the stats-credit for secondpass jobs is less. per x-CPUtime

How does this go, is it true.

well, it is true, you get less credits with secondpass because of the measure CEM/s which is inaccurate. BUT this problem is said to be solved with the release of Version 3, backwards (?) which means that the stats are recalculated, for the past, too. So will get you credit later, somehow.
    If you need motivation, look at the number of performed tests. See it climb every day is fun too.
    H.

Thx for the explaining.
    It releaves me, i thought there had too be something behind it.

I would like a SOB-senior , too second this

Sieve it, baby!
    You can even have the creators to second this:
    http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...ighlight=FLOPS

I'd suggest you overlook that this posting is almost 2.5 years old.

AHA oke when will this turning too flops happen.
    Or equal all too certain credit-points

And will credit/flops increase only for the secondpass.

i can answer this..

essentially at the moment each prp test is worth a certain number of CEM which is about n^3 (n*n*n) and CEMS are n^3/time taken between allocation and competion. (as known by the server)

but this is way over on the higher n values.

but as the server has a list of each prp test when it was allocated and returned.. when the new stats come aborad its a matter of assigning a new 'value' to each test. (which is closer to n*log n )

what will happen is higher n tests get reduced much more then the lower/second pass tests.. which will make second pass appear to be worth more then they were.. but its really the higher N that is worth less.

quick example?
    3 tests n = 1000, n = 5000, n = 100000 (ignore k.. insignifica)

current cems:
    Code:
    n            | CEM                         | time            | cems
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    1000         |        1000000000  (1G)     |   600 (10 min)  |  1.6M
    5000         |      125000000000 (125G)    |  6000 (100 min) | 20.8M
    100000       |  1000000000000000 (1000T)   | 60000 (17 hrs)  | 16.6G
    new scoring: (using n*log n ) (base 10 log)
    Code:
    n            | CEM       | time      | newscore
    ----------------------------------------------------
    1000         |  3000     | 600       |  5
    5000         |  18500    | 6000      |  3
    100000       |  500000   | 60000     |  8
    a highly inaccurate senario but i hope you see how the scores get 'closer'.

this is then applied to all tests in teh system and everyones score gets recalculated.

Cheers

thx for explaining.

What does prp stand for.
    that n=5000 gets less credit seems a bit weird but i trust the calculations you did.

the cems figure is just a very aquared (spelled right ?) nr now and not corresponding anymore because of the changes in math. calculations made in the SOB-software.

I hope the changes will be made very soon because i can't confince people now too do secondpass test.

PS: I really appreciate the explaining, crisp clear helpfull

unless i am mistaken

prp = PR-obably P-rime

that's what the SOB client does.. prp tests.

and before you ask, "why only probable". if its not a probable prime it cant be a prime.

the reasons to use this are basically speed.. and the change a "probable prime" actually ISNT is small. and a prime that isn't probable is impossible.

that is also why when primes ar ediscovered they are always 'prooved' using a diffrernt program. (often multiple times on different architectures.) and that usualy takes longer then the original prp test.

I hear you GP500,

It's tough to convice people to do secondpass testing, thankfully the current secondpass situation isn't that bad. IMHO the level is pretty close to where it should be so I personally havn't been pushing it lately.

I'd probably wait until we find another prime before we start another secondpass effort. Hopefully as soon as the next prime is found project wise we will switch to secondpass for a wekk or two while it's verified. The project wide secondpass effort really advanced the effort in no time.

I'd suggest that you attempt to convince people to sieve and P-1 factor. P-1 is starting to loose it's cushion and within a few months we may actually start firstpass testing unfactored ranges. Sieve is also very good and alot of canditates are still being eliminated there.

I'm thinking of switching my laptop (that does approx 1.1m cEMs/s) to the secondpass due to how long it takes for the CPU to complete a firstpass test, but before I remember there being a "slow down" with the scoring (so it wouldn't show 1.1m cEMs/s being calculated, but something much lower). Has this problem been fixed?

Blog Entries
    ok, now I got P4 3.2 and want to run two clients

can I start one client with secondpass and other with usual numbers?

I grab test's at home (dial-up) cuz there's some auth proxies and firewall here at work ((
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Easy on linux

Death - what OS are you running?
    Windows - someone else will have to help - but to get a secondpass test the username has to be modified to have QQQsecondpass at the end.

For linux & probably BSDs/*nixes
    The key is that the secondpass instance has the sclient.conf edited so that the
    username has QQQsecondpass
    ie:
    Username tqftQQQsecondpass

I have created one directory for each instance, start the client - with modified Username - automatically gets a second pass test.
    For the the first pass test the Username line in sclient.conf would be
    Username tqft

Blog Entries
    xp

okay, I just move info in reg file from cache to cache2 and add to registry

run service and voila!!
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Quote Originally Posted by kugano
    The server will actually accept any username of the form usernameQQQdirectiveQQQdirectiveQQQdirective... the code to parse this and keep track of all the "directives" is already written. It's just that, right now, the only direcive that has any meaning at all is "secondpass." So the "hack" is kind of a poor man's way of allowing arbitrary information / preferences to be passed in via the username field.
    Could we have 7 new directives?
    k33661 etc
    so that usernameQQQsecondpassQQQk33661 would select only second pass for k=33661.
    Joe O

This would be a fantastic addition and I hope quite simple.

I would also ask that the directive apply to firstpass tests as well. I know there are people out there that have a particular affection to a k.

Right. I've read most (but not all ) of the thread. Is there any progress on extending the second pass for more than 24 hours? Some rigs I have are offsite and don't connect everyday, but DO connect everyweek at least once.

Secondly... I didn't see any mention of points difference with running second pass, but I would assume that on the same machine, second pass would give more points per CPU run time.

EDIT: Ok second point was wrong... vice cersa in reality.
    Last edited by riptide; 05-24-2007 at 07:46 AM.

Riptide,

I believe the expire time on secondpass test is two weeks.. do you have reson to believe they are 24hours?

You could always send ALien a message asking him to extend the time to ... probably a month.

Quote Originally Posted by vjs
    Riptide,

I believe the expire time on secondpass test is two weeks.. do you have reson to believe they are 24hours?

You could always send ALien a message asking him to extend the time to ... probably a month.

I thought that the secondpass was also extended for 30 days a while back? What exactly happen when it expires? Does the wu not count when finally completed or another client pick it up and start crunching it?

Quote Originally Posted by vjs
    Riptide,

It would be ok at 2 weeks i suppose. But if I'm gonna get slaughtered on points I may give it a pass (Excuse the pun )

Its a hard thread to follow.. one has to mindful of the dates of the posts. Spans over 2 years. With posts replied to in 6 months on one occasion. Time warp for the win.

Blog Entries
    QQQsecondpass now recieve 13M tests.

something changed?
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Everybody's been running second pass test ever since the first-pass 15M tests ran out a few months ago, and that's where the secondpass queue is at now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123