Thread: The Internet Book Database of Fiction

Minister of Misinformation magicfan241's Avatar

The Internet Book Database of Fiction

As many of you know (well, it might be only some of you by now), I've been something of a lurker for the last few months. I haven't been sitting on my bum and watching TV though.

I've been working with the Internet Book Database of Fiction. Its goal is to become the largest database of its type (think IMDB, but for books). We are moving toward that goal quickly, with nearly 20,000 books at last count (which was a week ago or so).

A few of the older members of this forum should know some of the more active people in the IBDoF. The founder of the site was kiltannen, the other admin is Brad_H, bob k. mando & superE are all active members. As well as myself.

I've just been trying to get the word out about the site, now that it is starting to get to the right size to be real useful for people.

We are still adding books at the rate of about 700 books a week. Almost all of the books are in english still (there was one person who was adding spanish books, but he has dropped off of the face of the planet in the last couple of months).

So, come on over and check us out! At the same time, I'd really like to thank Dyyryath for making this wonderful Avatar that I have used at the IBDoF as well.

We are located at http://www.ibdof.com

Steven Scripko
    (magicfan241)
    Check out the Internet Book List! 44,000 titles listed and growing!

Wow! Good job

Free-DC's Prime Search
    magicfan241,

How it works?
    Can I add some classic portuguese books?

Carlos

Originally posted by em99010pepe
    magicfan241,

How it works?
    Can I add some classic portuguese books?

Carlos
    Right now, we have it sert up the following way:

1. You don't have to create a username to add books, but if you want to rate the books that get added, you need to create one.

2. Use the add books link to Add the books that you want to add. You can also use the Add Author link if you would like to add more detail about the author. In general, for the "blurb" portion, we use the amazon.com information, or whatever is on the inside flap/back cover of the book. Other people's reviews are their own property, and we can't claim them.

3. Relax while one of our spendid data editors validates the entry and adds it to the database.

The third step can take a while, because we have piles and piles of books to validate (several thousand), and we have tocheck each book manually to make sure the information fits the book.

Hope this helps,
    magicfan241

We have added a feature where you can mark the number of copies of a book that you own, and the number of times that you have read the book. This now makes my library spreadsheet redundant, so that is a really good thing for me.

magicfan241