Thread: D2OLProgress utility

D2OLProgress utility

D2OLProgress is a homegrown utility for displaying the progress of your computers running the D2OL(TM) application. The original thread has become so long that I thought it would be more convenient for users if we posted a D2OL forum sticky with a link to the new download URL. So with Bok's help it now lives here:

http://www.free-dc.org/utilities/d2olprogress/

Today's release is a new version, 1.02, which includes the following enhancements:
    - a native Windows(TM) application (.exe) for progress nodes which can install itself as a windows service and runs in a Low base priority. (Only tested under WIN2K & XP).
    - a native Linux daemon for progress nodes, including an init.d script for Debian
    - a new column of "node ID" now displays in the GUI
    - GUI timestamp columns will now show the date (in addition to the time) IF it is not the same day as today
    - the progress bar now displays the % complete
    - the HTML output now displays colored cells for stale nodes, like the GUI always has

The GUI app is still Java-based. If you elect not to use the native progress apps, the Java-based progress node is still available but must be updated to be compatible with the 1.02 GUI.

This has only been tested by me so there may be some initial issues, please add a forum entry and we'll try to address it through advice or bug fix if necessary. Here are some conditions I haven't tried: all my Node IDs are 6 digits so it hasn't been tested with smaller node IDs, I have not upgraded to XP SP2 so it hasn't been tested there, I have not tried it under Java 1.5.

Free-DC's Prime Search
    MerePeer,

Sorry but what happens when you use the same node ID in all your machines?

Carlos

It will display the node ID for each node, doesn't care if they are the same.
    I have several nodes running with the same ID and the ID was displayed correctly.

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Originally posted by PCZ
    It will display the node ID for each node, doesn't care if they are the same.
    I have several nodes running with the same ID and the ID was displayed correctly.
    Thank you.

Carlos

Correct the node id in the gui is informational only -- which helps tie the node to its stats when signing into D2OL.
    The name is what makes a unique record in the gui. So if you have a dually running d2ol in 2 dirs, you'll want to use the -name argument to get two records displayed in the gui, 1 for each cpu, for instance (linux example):
    ./d2olprogressd -sendto host -name Dual1 -dir /var/dual1-d2ol-dir
    and the other one would use:
    ./d2olprogressd -sendto host -name Dual2 -dir /var/dual2-d2ol-dir

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Originally posted by MerePeer
    Correct the node id in the gui is informational only -- which helps tie the node to its stats when signing into D2OL.
    The name is what makes a unique record in the gui. So if you have a dually running d2ol in 2 dirs, you'll want to use the -name argument to get two records displayed in the gui, 1 for each cpu, for instance (linux example):
    ./d2olprogressd -sendto host -name Dual1 -dir /var/dual1-d2ol-dir
    and the other one would use:
    ./d2olprogressd -sendto host -name Dual2 -dir /var/dual2-d2ol-dir

OK. I will try it under WinMe.

Carlos

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Nice program.

I'm running it on a dual Xeon rig so I have 4 instances of D2OL running. I have one of the progress programs running as a service and three more running as batch files. Is there a simple way to install the other three as a service? I tried what I did with the first one but it fails to create the service since there is already one created. I also tried changing the program name to "...2.exe" and that doesn't help.

I know I can create the services manually but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something first.
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Hmm, the answer is not currently. I should add support for that somehow. I hit a similar 'need unique windows service name' for multiple installs when I went to add a TSC service on a machine that already had a D2OL service.

After I finish the FAD enhancements I'll look into this. Its probably simplest if we just have multiple services, although it would mean less Win resources consumed if we just used one service which could send progress for multiple directories: i.e. a different approach than multiple services.

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    Ok, thanks for the quick response. It's not a big deal but I wanted to make sure I didn't overlook anything.

Another thing I'd love to be able to do is re-direct the .html output to a specific directory. Again, not a big deal at all but it'd be nice.
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    I know you're probably a Linux fan... but having the main D2OL Progress program run in the system tray on a Windows box would be nice. Again... not needed but I just thought I'd throw that out there for you.
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org