Thread: Gaps in ranges already completed...

Gaps in ranges already completed...

I just have a question about a gap listed for one of the ranges which I completed (even though, in the list and in the stats, it is listed as incomplete). Should I re-check that interval or is it there because it is in an incomplete range? Is there another reason why it may be there?

THanks in advance.

TeamRetro Siever
    Did you submit the factexcl.txt file contents and the factors in factrange.txt less than 20 million? If you did not, MikeH cannot be sure that the range was fully checked.

Once the factors in these two files are submitted, MikeH will know that there is an acceptable gap, and the page will be updated. I had this happen with my first reserved range.

Also, sometimes it takes a bit before the score pages get updated with the new ranges. I was posting factors to two new ranges for what seemed a week before they showed up as reserved instead of non-reserved ranges. I am not sure if this part of the page is automated or has to be done manually. If it is done manually, then I can understand the delay. I am sure that MikeH has a life too....

Stromkarl

Stromkarl is right, it takes a while between the time you report the range as complete and when Mike updates the stats.

As for the gaps, submitting factexcl and factrange willl help reduce this number and its a good idea to do this. ALso if you could e-mail factrange.txt to factrange@yahoo.com.

Lastly if your pretty sure that you sieved the entire range don't go back and recheck, it would be a waste for sure. If you didn't Mike will find the holes and recheck them or if you didn 't find enough factors someone eventually will figure this out.

I would suggest that you make sure that you submitted all the fact.txt files, especially if you ran this on more than one machine.
    Are you using sobistrator? Did you mark a range as complete without submitting the new factors first?
    Joe O

To answer all of the replies:

- Yes, I am using SoBistrator, so all the unique factors have been submitted as they were found.

- Yes, I submitted via e-mail the factexcl.txt and the factrange.txt for the ranges I have done already (707000-707100 & 708500-709500).

- So should I submit, via the page where the uniques usually go, the factors in those files as well?? If that's the case, that I did not know, and I will submit them as soon as I get confirmation from someone.

I am not worried about the updating of the "completeness" status of the range if it is just a procedural issue. Volunteers don't usually have a lot of time and procedural stuff is usually inconsequential to the viability of the project as a whole. However, as I have said before, I would like to be a good citizen and do everything I can to help and make my participation as fruitful as possible.

Looks like your on track. The complete incomplete is proceedural and one of the only portions which is manual.

Yes submit factexcl.txt and factrange.txt through the website as well.

You don't have to e-mail factexcl.txt only factrange.txt

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I submitted both files via e-mail, so my apologies to the keeper of that e-mail.

I am in process of submitting both.

Again, thanks for the quick reply.

EDIT: Turns out there are some 400+ factors in those files.... Hope it helps.
    Last edited by xoan; 03-15-2005 at 12:22 PM.

Hey no problem we can always delete what we don't need. When in dought more info is better than non or course.

All we are really using is the factrange.txt, we sort through those for unique factors above 20M and apply them to a 991<n<50M dat. Of course we also apply those very small n in factrange as well.

Last time I checked about ~20% of those large factors >20M were unique, and will eliminate tests above 20M when we decide to do them.