Thread: Pimp your project to me.

Pimp your project to me.

Sometime Sunday morning(right now it's almost 9pm Friday night) my computer will finish it's SOB k/n pair and the program is set to not download a new one. That means my computer will idle with nothing to do until I put something new on it.

So, I'm giving everyone a chance to pimp their projects to my lowly 1.75GHz Sempron(I wish I had more, but government checks for the mentally ill don't amount to much, I actually need a project that measures what percentage of your income you spend on DC, I'd be in the upper 10% probably)

So tell me why I should be on your project(or stay on SOB for that matter) so I can find a new project to sink my teeth into.

Although when the new sieve client comes out, that aspect of Seventeen or Bust will get a LOT more interesting.

It really depends on what you like.

There is no one project that everyone loves. So, the decision is entirely up to you.

But since you are asking for a pimp, I'd say go with Rosetta. Its a new project and it has great Administrators that are around and knows what they are doing.

Since you asked, I like Find-A-Drug. It's really quick and easy to set-up and doesn't require any user intervention once you have it set up. Even on dial-up, it only takes a few minutes to download the program. If you set it to connect when you are online, you never have to do anything else. It will connect automatically, upload your results and get a new work unit. It will even keep one in the queue for you, so that if your computer finishes one WU and you are not connected to the net, it will automatically start working on the next one and will upload the results when you do connect....

Not to mention that they are working on finding drugs for deadly diseases, like cancer, HIV, malaria, etc.... Potentially great benefits to mankind!

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do..... Let us know!

Free-DC's Prime Search

Re: Pimp your project to me.

Originally posted by jasong

Although when the new sieve client comes out, that aspect of Seventeen or Bust will get a LOT more interesting.
    Trust me, you should sieve.

Carlos

DC doesn't get any easier than OGR.

If you're looking for more cash, how about Rieselsieve LLR?

Re: Re: Pimp your project to me.

Originally posted by em99010pepe
    Trust me, you should sieve.

Carlos
    Can someone explain to me the practical applications that could arise from this project? Is it just theoretical?

Can you tell I am not a mathmetician?????

Free-DC's Prime Search

Re: Re: Re: Pimp your project to me.

Originally posted by Dreamer
    Can someone explain to me the practical applications that could arise from this project? Is it just theoretical?

Can you tell I am not a mathmetician?????
    From the home page:

Riesel Sieve is a distributed effort to prove the Riesel conjecture by removing prime candidates for the remaining 75 K from over 11 million k/n pairs.
    Sieving can only eliminate k/n pairs by finding factors. Each factor found eliminates one and sometimes more than one k/n pair. With millions of k/n pairs left in our 2>n<20million range, it will take almost an eternity to completely eliminate all k/n pairs thru sieving alone. Using LLRNET we use special algorithms that can tell whether a k/n pair is prime or composite. LLRNET tests one pair at a time. It takes several hours or more to test each k/n pair using LLRNET, however this is currently our leading way of eliminating k/n pairs. LLRNET WILL find primes. Each prime we find eliminates that k from any further testing as it will be eliminated from being a Riesel Number. Thus, all the n's that go along with said k's will no longer need to be tested.
    Sieving eliminates many k's from being LLRNET tested, but at some point the remaining k/n pairs must be tested.
    So AMD's and P3 are good at sieving and P4's at LLR.

Basis of sieve theory (from a book):

I The Sieve of Eratosthenes

As I have already said, it is possible to find if N is a prime using
    trial division by every number n such that n2 ≤ N.
    Since multiplication is an easier operation than division, Eratosthenes
    (in the 3rd century BC) had the idea of organizing the computations
    in the form of the well-known sieve. It serves to determine
    all the prime numbers, as well as the factorizations of composite
    numbers, up to any given number N. This is illustrated now for
    N = 101.
    Do as follows: write all the numbers up to 101; cross out all the
    multiples of 2, bigger than 2; in each subsequent step, cross out all
    the multiples of the smallest remaining number p, which are bigger
    than p. It suffices to do it for p2 < 101.

Thus, all the multiples of 2, 3, 5, 7 < √101 are sifted away. The
    number 53 is prime because it remained. Thus the primes up to 101 are 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, 97, 101.
    This procedure is the basis of sieve theory, which has been developed to provide estimates for the number of primes satisfying given conditions.

Carlos

EDIT: More about sieve of Eratosthenes