Thread: F@h/boinc

F@h/boinc

Looks like F@H has joined the BIONIC crowd

F@H BOINC

So they want to NOT work as fast as they have been??? Let's hope they don't kill the "Classic" version and move wholly over to the BOINC platform. I can see the users dropping off like flies....

Thank god DF stopped because I have a feeling there would be a BOINC page for it too by now.

-Jeff
    Distributed Hold'em

Originally posted by CaptainMooseInc
    So they want to NOT work as fast as they have been??? Let's hope they don't kill the "Classic" version and move wholly over to the BOINC platform. I can see the users dropping off like flies....

Thank god DF stopped because I have a feeling there would be a BOINC page for it too by now.

-Jeff
    They have said a number of times that the primary client will be the classic version. BOINC is just an alternative to reach more people, so there is no reason to worry.

From the FAQ http://fah-boinc.stanford.edu/boinc-faq.html

Current Folding@Home participants

1. As a participant of Folding@Home, is there anything I need to do?
    No. For the participants of Folding@Home, nothing new need be done. You can go on running your existing client without any change (just welcome new participants!).
    2. Will development of Folding@Home stop?
    No. We will continue developing the FAH client, making new features available in BOINC if applicable. The FAH BOINC client is just an additional client for FAH, much like the Google Compute FAH client.
    3. Why make Folding@Home work in BOINC?
    Folding@Home is quite powerful and has been able to tackle important, hitherto unsolved, problems. Through Abhay Sukumaran and other team members' efforts making FAH available to BOINC donors, we hopefully make it easier for them to contribute if they wish and hopefully increase the scale of problems we can tackle.
    4. Could my username be taken by someone for a BOINC account? Can I make a BOINC account with it?
    No, people cannot claim your username for a BOINC Folding account; as we have no means of verifying identities, one can't create a BOINC account with their own username either. In Folding, we have never had any restriction against more than one person using a given username but in BOINC, name/team combinations are unique. Since there is no clear cut way of deciding which person should get to claim a given unique BOINC FAH name, existing Folding@Home names are off limits for now. Anybody can join anyone's team, however.