Thread: is BOINC SETI always this screwed up?

is BOINC SETI always this screwed up?

I don't think that the SETI servers have been up for a full day in the last week. It's certainly been messed up since I've I started running it.

Is BOINC SETI always this screwed up???
    FreeDC Mercenary

Yes it is!!!
    LGM have taken over the datacenter there

http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu

May 4, 2005
    Our Cogent link came up around 01:30 UTC today. The data server is still clearing the backlog so things are slow.

May 3, 2005
    Our Cogent link has been down since around 9:00am PST (16:00 UTC). Data servers are currently unreachable. The problem is currently being diagnosed. Update: The latest word from Cogent: "There's currently a UFO (Unlimited Fiber Optics) issue that is affecting multiple customers that we are working as quickly as possible to resolve. It is possible that this issue is causing this particular outage. There is currently no ETA on resolution for the current issue." Update 2 (23:30 UTC): Cogent has isolated the fault and has dispatched a person to fix it. We hope to see it fixed soon.

April 29, 2005
    The DB reinit went fine. But then we had a problem with a recently installed software firewall. It was working when we left the lab yesterday but cut off the data service interface a short time later. We have switched off this firewall for now. Software firewalls are now required for all machines by campus policy but we will get an exception until ours is working. Note that we are, and always have been, behind a hardware firewall that works great. Given the length of this outage, service will be slow with lots of connection drops until the backlog is cleared.

April 27, 2005
    We will be having a general outage tomorrow to do a database backup and to reinitialize our replica database server. The replica became corrupt last week due to a disk space issue. After this is done, we should not have to have outages for backups. We will start at 17:00 UTC. The outage will last several hours.

rsbriggs

Nothing out of the ordinary for a Boinc project
    Thats why I walked away from Boinc.

All the projects have problems, some don't have the capacity to handle all the clients and regularly go down(Seti) or dont have enough work.

My advice is to stear clear of it and avoid the inevitable frustation that your continued participation would bring.

Yeah - read all that. There isn't any word about the NEW problem that has had them down since late last night/early this morning.

Sigh. Maybe I'll just take PCZ's advice - forget it and try again sometime in the -distant- future....

LHC better get their act straight - I'm planning on running that one full-out in September when they open it up.

At least we know they should have the capacity to handle all the clients - they have more bandwidth there at CERN than anywhere else on the planet.
    Last edited by rsbriggs; 05-07-2005 at 10:58 AM.
    FreeDC Mercenary

Maybe you should convince them to create a stand-alone client.
    /me hates BOINC
    /me loves the concept
    /me hates that BOINC sux0rs

I have been running the BOINC version of the SETI client for about two months and even with "problems" I am still happy to run the project.

Maybe as old age approches it takes more to irritate me, but the comms problems have never bothered me, and I have yet to run out of work.

It's just that I had a really bad intro to BOINC SETI- what with their servers being up and down (mostly down) starting the day I began running it, then no stats for days on end recently.....

Other than a few aggravations with the 4.38 client - like not being able to force it to send in completed work units - it's pretty smooth. I might work on doing a run up to 2nd or 3rd team place on some of the projects....
    FreeDC Mercenary

i was doing really good with the old seti version, using multiseti to turn in about 15 - 18 a day. after i downloaded the boinc seti 2 months ago i now have a total boinc score of .3, and i think i got that by mistake
    WRONG?!? I'm NEVER wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was only mistaken.
    - Virgil -

I just use the linux client 4.19, and it would sure be nice if they had a command line switch to just crunch what was in the local queue, upload that and not download anything new.