Thread: Sneaker netting, and such

Sneaker netting, and such

Alas..... my computer room circuits and A/C are straining.... However I still have a few more systems I could run if I can find neighbors garages, etc., to stash them in. So that got me to wondering about a few things with fad since I'm a nooby with this project. Assume running under linux, no X-windows installed. Is it possible to load the queue up with a week's worth of units, unplug from the net, and then plug the box in someplace convenient with no net access and let it grind out everything in the queue??? What commands to do this?

What about using zip disks or something like that to transfer the units around? Has anyone been doing any of this?

This is not sneaker netting, I'll let someone else reply about that technique.
    Here is how you would load up (aka receive) and unload (aka send) when the box is plugged into the net:
    1) cd over to your fad dir
    2) change your connection interval to none
    2B) ./fadsetup -connect none
    2C) NOTE: for sneaker-netting this may get changed to ./fadsetup -connect offline
    3) ps -ef | grep server
    4) kill {job # of your server process}
    5) ./server -list
    will show you all your jobs. You are looking for "Finished" and "Queued".
    6) ./server -send
    will send your finished jobs to the fad folks
    7) ./server -receive
    will receive 1 new job into your queue. Repeat this for more jobs, you'll have to guess how many that PC can do vs. how long it will be off the net.

<edit>
    8) ./loader
    will restart the server as a daemon
    <end edit>
    Last edited by MerePeer; 05-10-2005 at 06:54 AM.

yeah. I know that instance mentioned wasn't sneaker net Thankyou for the other info though! Just what I was after!

You may want to think about using When Online instead.

The reason I say this is the client will auto create jobs if you run out (assuming it has the relevant mollies in it cache and these are still available in the query to crunch)

None doesn't autocreate, although I though Think(FaD) was going to alter this but doesn't seem to have yet.

Then if you happen to have fast jobs you'll still be doing some work.

You can always tell a Brummie, but you can't tell him much.
    FluffyChicken beat me to it but I would also recommend using the 'When Online' connection plan.

I would suggest you set the queue purge option on. That way you can download a whole heap of jobs ( ./server receive 20 ) and know that next time you connect then any old jobs will be removed from your queue.

Heh, This is turning into quite the educational trip!! Thank you all for your insights into the command usage of fad. I really appreciate it!!