Thread: How not to build a new Box

It's all his Fault!

How not to build a new Box

..and so it began....
    ...sitting on my kitchen floor, building a new DC box while indulging in some of the finer versions of ethanol-based liquid refreshment. Halfway through the boxen building, I realized two things....

1. I was out of good scotch.
    2. I hadn't started mixing up the "mojo" for the party.

Now "mojo" is a particularly vile mixture of pure grain alcohol, Cherry Cool Aid powder and chunks of citrus fruits. (Please note the lack of water or any other diluent)

Mojo recipe:
    4 gallons (~12 litres if you care) of 97% ethanol.
    8 packages of sweetened cherry Cool Aid.
    various oranges, limes, lemons, old shoes...cut into large chunks
    Mix thoroughly, with bare hand, while chanting "Nothing good can come from this."
    Place outside in snow to cool. (keep animals away! This stuff may kill anything smaller than a camel )

Somewhere around the "mix thoroughly" part, the whisky, which I'd been drinking to aid in building the new DC box, kicked me in the back of the head......Hard.

This scattered my data, and made my numbers go all random, causing a nasty chain reaction of stumbling, loosing coordination and dumping 4 gallon of noxious red liquid into a brand new tbird.

I don't mean "splashing a little on the box". I mean pouring 4 gallons of mojo directly into an open case, a direct hit on the northbridge. Now, as we all know, cases are not watertight. The mojo started escaping into every corner of the kitchen. I sprang into action in an attempt to contain the dangerous stuff.

Unfortunately "springing into action" isn't very easy to do when you've just polished off a bottle of whisky. So I sort of "stumbled into mayhem" instead.

My left foot placed inself directly into the PC case, crunching parts galore, my right foot then decided it wanted no part of this and left for vacation. This had the unfortunate result of leaving me with no means of maintaining my upper body's position above the floor.

Please pause here for a visual reference.

relic, dumbfounded look on his face, stained red to his crotch with mojo, one foot in a PC case, the other slipping rapidly away causing an awkward "splits" position...with floor awash in red liquid.

I did the only thing I could do. I fell forward, leading with my face, into the ocean of mojo on the floor.

The resulting splash was absolutely amazing.

Bright-red, ethanol-disolved coloring reached the ceiling.

Tendrils of mojo snaked past the cabinet doors and coated the clean dishes and food in the pantry. The telephone immediately took on a pastel pink color as the mojo etched it's way into every surface.

The moral of the story? If you remember nothing else I've said....at least remember this....never build boxen on the kitchen floor. Happy new Year.
    Last edited by relic; 01-02-2002 at 11:57 AM.

Stats God in Training Darkness Productions's Avatar
    Ouch!!!... That poor alco.. err... TBird .

Also, something else to remember, don't ever do anything whilst drunk... As your quote said, nothing good can come of this.

MAN Relic - way to go.

I used to be the chief in charge of mixing the hunch punch/MOJO for the parties at my house back in college - I can sympathize with you on this event - waste of damn good hunch & a T-Bird!
    - Don't make me come over there and CLONE you! -

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar

The obvious comment...

Well it is your own fault, you know

It's a sad fate for a tbird though
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

wow!
    that is bad

poor little computer
    Use the right tool for the right job!

The Cruncher From Hell
    ROFL

My sympathies, a waste of alcohol and a computer what a double whammy, enough to turn most men to drink......

Now thats what the three mugs would consider alcohol abuse!!
    A "Brew_Master" and proud of it!

Re: How not to build a new Box

Originally posted by relic
    ..and so it began....
    The moral of the story? If you remember nothing else I've said....at least remember this....never build boxen on the kitchen floor. Happy new Year.
    ROFLMAO

Now that gives a whole new meaning to "It's all Relic's Fault!" if I ever heard one.

Sorry to hear this Relic. I'm glad you didn't smack your head and break a table, or worse ...

Now that you have started out the New Year on the 'left' foot, it has to be all down hill from there

It's all his Fault!
    the saga continues.

Mojo it seems has many unique properties.
    For example, it makes a wonderful dye for skin, clothing, plastic, wood, stone and vinyl.
    It however will not stain glazed ceramic tile or laminated countertops.

It will stain solder junctions, and PCB's at the edges and unsealed portions.

Today's lesson is "How to bathe a Mojo'ed computer"

Lesson 1:
    The Powersupply is toast. Don't even bother to try cleaning it after a bath in a sugar/alcohol solution. There is probably no reasonable way to clean the sugar out of the transformers without damaging them. The fan is also history. Also the dope in the transformers appears to be somewhat soluble in mojo because something is now oozing out of them.

Lesson 2:
    Washing a mobo.

Remove CPU, fans, CMOS battery, Northbridge heatsink. Throw away the speaker and replace. Any fans are probably doomed to early failure if they still work at all. Replace those too.

For the Mobo I used the "wash in distilled water" technique. Tap water here has a high mineral content and it would leave behind semiconductive/capacitive mineral salts as it dried, so I poured distilled water over the mobo (held at a 45 degree angle in a basin) for several minutes then rinsed with isopropanol. (rotate mobo frequently and pay partucular attention to the connectors and CPU socket)

Air dry thoroughly. Allow at least a day.

Replace removed/discarded components. This is also a good time to upgrade the Northbridge HSF and add some good thermal compound. You may want to consider using a new CMOS battery.

Result: Functional Mobo.

Lesson 3:
    Bathing your CPU.

Distilled water, rubbing alcohol and air dry routine again.

Result: Salvaged a GHz and a half for the DC cause.

Lesson 4:
    The crunched video and NIC make great Christmas tree ornaments.
    Jus add one of those little wire hooks and position on the tree.

Lesson 5:
    drives

CDROM and FDD...Uh-huh, yeah right.
    Place these in the bottom of your trash can for added weight on a windy day.

HDD.
    Clean PCB and connectors with cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol. Do not immerse! If not soaked in liquid for too long you might be lucky. I wasn't. More weight for the trash can.

Stay tuned for the next lesson in the "Drunken DC'er" series.

lost in space. Hey who took my bread crumbs. Now I cant find my way home.
    get some tric it works wonders but do not use it in a closed space or it will fry your brain. I will clean everything up including the power supply.
    grandmother. ver 3.0

I must say relic that this being the first post I read on this forum, It's a good one....

<Dr Nick voice> HI EVERYBODY! </Dr Nick>

Anyways may I suggest a name for the bird?

Mojo?

post pics of the "RED" bird and board

TOOOO funny

also sad,glad you saved the bird and the board

have you ever thought of writing comedy?

It's all his Fault!
    Things I have learned:

1. Surfing the Mojo wave on a tbird is best left to an expert.

2. 3Com has the best warranty on the planet. They replaced my stepped-on NIC "no questions asked".

3. ATI has the second best warranty on the planet. They did ask how I broke it. I told the cust support rep. honestly the whole story...exactly as I posted it above. She put me on speaker phone so the rest of the office could hear it. When the screaming and shreaking laughter finally died down the supervisor (between gasps for breath and fits of giggling) gave me an RMA#. I think they were mildly entertained.

4. TBirds might not like heat but they LOVE mojo....this thing will take more FSB than any other system I've got (and I've got A LOT of Tbirds). I wonder if it will stay that way or if I'll have to "mojo-cool" the core to keep it OC'ed?

BTW I named the box "mojo" for penguinboy.

remember folks, I'm a professional. Don't try this at home.

regards,
    the bard

Woah relic thanks

Ya know I just might try to o/c my next puter with mojo well except for the stepping on it part well nm I'll proabbly have to *sample* if a bit too much