Thread: question about where we're at and updating factors

question about where we're at and updating factors

I started this topic for two reasons:

(1) I don't know what n we're at, and

(2) I don't know how much work is involved after I email my high-n sieving factors.

If someone could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it. Basically, I'm trying to figure out how often I should email(once a week, every factor, every 5 factors...?)

Jasong,

You should always submit all of the factors you find through the server first, as you find them (once a day once every three days etc...)

http://www.seventeenorbust.com/sieve

Then once your entire range is finished you zip the three files, fact.txt, factrange.txt, and factexcl.txt into one zip. Title the zip

Start-Stop_username_991-50M.zip

Example:
    801000-802000_JasonG_991-50M.zip

Since we are only testing at n~9.1M currently and n=1.9M for secondpass. The only factors that we need imedately are the once that are very close I.e. will be tested within a week.

Anything between those values is important right now. Anything above or below is less so.

Since the server automatically credits and arhives those n<20M. Your doing good, Since those above n>20M are not currently needed. There is no pressing concern to e-mail them right away. It's actually better to wait until you have a large range finished, i.e. 1000G worth.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by vjs
    Jasong,

...once your entire range is finished you zip the three files, fact.txt, factrange.txt, and factexcl.txt into one zip.
    I have WinRAR. Does it have an option to make ZIP files? I glanced at WinRAR's help file and decided the information wasn't specific enough for this anal-retentive brain of mine, since it said that ZIP might be a better choice instead of saying that it could actually do it(ZIP).

Anything will do, ZIP, RAR, 7z, ARJ, CAB, GZIP, BZIP2, Z, TAR, CPIO, RPM, DEB ... as long as it fairly standard we can figure it out.

Whatever reasonable standard you decide to use will be just fine I'm sure.

For the record yes WinRAR does do zip files.

What's the difference between the factors in fact.txt and factexcl.txt?

I know I need to submit factors from fact.txt through the website form, but what about those in factexcl.txt?

And just to make sure, you only want the zip of the fact*.txt files emailed when the whole range has been checked?

OK, I've answered some of my own questions by looking at the -h output of the siever:-

fact.txt = new factors
    factexcl.txt = duplicate factors
    factrange.txt = factors outside n range

So I guess I only submit the factors that appear in fact.txt to the web form.

Originally posted by Greenbank
    OK, I've answered some of my own questions by looking at the -h output of the siever:-

fact.txt = new factors
    factexcl.txt = duplicate factors
    factrange.txt = factors outside n range

So I guess I only submit the factors that appear in fact.txt to the web form.
    That is correct. But you submit all of them to factrange at yahoo dot com.

And just to make sure, you only want the zip of the fact*.txt files emailed when the whole range has been checked?
    That's fine.

Some of you who have multi T ranges may want to submit whenever you finish a T. That's fine also.
    Joe O