Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sieve Co-Ordination Site

Matt we can't maintain two sites it's really impossible and leads to alot of confusion.

You've created the site and I think we have given people ample time to beta test the site and ask for changes. If further modifications are required we should be able to do these once the site is active.

Here are the steps we are going to take.

1. I'm going to e-mail Louie suggesting that we move your site onto the main server.

Once this is done

2. Reserve a range on the main forum for the automatic sieve reservation system something like

820000-850000 Automatic sieve reservation [Reserved]

This range could be extened if need be but I think we will go to your system totally or not at all before all of these ranges are reserved.

You will have to limit the reservations allowed by the server to this range only during this time.

3. Strongly suggest to all people to get usernames and passwords

4. Lock the main sieve reservation thread.

I love 67607
    BTW, is this an script error???

805500 805000 Gap

Edit: Did not read previous posts carefully before this post. Ok now.
    Last edited by Nuri; 05-26-2005 at 05:21 PM.

I love 67607
    Another script error???

Tried to reserve an overlapping range at
    1100000 1100100 [Complete]
    1100100 1111100 Gap

with 1100000 as custom min and 1000 as range size. And the result is as below:

YOUR RANGE WAS SHORTENED TO PREVENT AN OVERLAP!
    You have successfully reserved the range 1100000-1100000. Here is the data for your nextrange.txt file:

pmin=1100000000000000
    pmax=1100000000000000

And for those of you nostalgic for a thread style display:

1100000-1100000 test [Reserved]

I love 67607
    Matt, there is this range in my reserved ranges that is complete, but shown as incomplete in your pages. It's 697000-699000 if I recall correctly.

It was finished in 2004. Thus, there are no factors for it in 2005 stats. Does it have something to do with that? (i.e. you might be using Mike's ages somehow, at leat for importing data manually etc. and if you used 2005 stats instead of overall stats, that might have caused some confusion).

Nuri this is a good point...

It's not really an error in so far as the range reservation actually has no size and you forced it to choose an overlap.

"choose a custom min inside a reserved or completed range"

So, basically it's functioning correctly... had you reserved at an appropriate min (within a gap) the script would have assigned you 1000G or cut your reservation at the point were you start to overlap.

I think the logic of the reservation needs to be changed as such.

When a custom min is chosen check that that min exists... if not continue to increase that min until a gap is found --> Then add the reservation size to that min (check for overlap --> assign the range of 1000G or limit it by overlap.

Humm,

It looks like something has broken down with the system....

801000 802000 Rychek Unknown
    802000 805000 MikeH Unknown
    805000 805500 hc_grove May 21, 2005
    805000 805865 VJS Test only May 22, 2005
    805865 806603 VJS Test only May 22, 2005

806603 807603 test testing IronBits May 20, 2005

And the gap buttons are not corresponding to what's reserved...

I basically told Matt to leave it alone for a bit and let people crash it, if they can.

It of course still needs work, and will require maintaince. There will be an admin side of course.

I have a feeling it maybe because I have admin rights so I ???can reserve an overlap???

Looks like it's working properly if you choose any other gap button than the first one.
    Which represents a gap that isn't there... But then the system tells you there is no pag there...

odd, but I guess it works. Regardless Matt admits he has more work to do.

Editing my post...

Matt Nuri has taken alot of time to trouble shoot your system and is a sieve-vet. I think he has some very good ideas, if you can work some of these in. I like the ideas of alerting the user to problems or changes in his reservations.

Question... are wishing you wouldn't have started this whole process .

Let it be known that everyone is thank-ful for your efforts, I know sometimes it feels like eveyones a critic but it's all in good faith and we are thank-ful.
    Last edited by vjs; 05-26-2005 at 08:16 PM.

I love 67607

In one case, the new reservation overps with previosly reserved range from the top, and the script cuts tht portion.

In second case, the new reservation ovelaps with previously reserved range from the bottom, and the scrip reserves a range size of 0, within the previously reserved range.

The third case is where the selected range size is larger than selected gap size.

It's a good think that the script tries to correct the error.

A better approach would be:

to use flashing, even in color alert text to make use the user sees there is something wrong...

even better, instead of forcing some action, the script can give alternatives. like:

If you want to stay close to that p, I can reduce the size of your reservation to fit the available gap there. So, your new reservation will be aaa-aab. Click here if you want to change your reservation to that.

If you want to keep the size of your reservation fixed, I can reserve next available gap of that size for you. It is xxx-xxy. Click here if you want to change your reservation to that.

If you did not like both, I can cancel your reservation ant take you to the reservation page to hink again. Click here if you want to do that.

I love 67607
    BTW, I would suggest that we limit the size of minimum reservable range to 100G. (instead of current 1G size).

Originally posted by Nuri
    BTW, I would suggest that we limit the size of minimum reservable range to 100G. (instead of current 1G size).
    I would further recommend that the ranges be on 100G boundaries. It is not enough to limit reservations to a minimum size, they must be on reasonable boundaries.
    Joe O

Nomenclature:

We have traditionally used the word "gap" for an area missing factors. See this page, toward the bottom, where you will find the "Gap Analysis" section.
    We have often used the word "hole" for a space between ranges. We have also called it an available range, or a missing reservation. I would propose that we call it a "hole" instead of a "gap" to prevent confusion. If anyone has another word that they would like to propose, please do so.
    Joe O

Originally posted by Joe O
    I would further recommend that the ranges be on 100G boundaries. It is not enough to limit reservations to a minimum size, they must be on reasonable boundaries.
    unless it is in order to fill a hole, if the last one is already on unreasonable bounds.
    H.

I love 67607

Re: Nomenclature:

Originally posted by Joe O
    If anyone has another word that they would like to propose, please do so.
    I'd suggest "available".

I love 67607
    Originally posted by hhh
    unless it is in order to fill a hole, if the last one is already on unreasonable bounds.
    H.
    Yes, that might create problems... Unless, may be, some chevalier among us makes necessary reservations to bring current unreasonable bound reservations to nearest 100G.

As far as I can see, there are only two reservations needed as of now,

993900-993900 chevalier
    996666-996700 chevalier

And, once these two ranges are reserved and as soon as this 100G unit is put into practice, there will never be an available range smaller than 100G up to 2^50.

I love 67607
    Ooops!!

Except that of course..

811445-811495 OverlordQ [Reserved] <--- Please confirm

I repost something garo posted in the Poll thread.

Originally posted by garo:

Couple of problems:

1. The range 805000-805500 overlaps with 805000-805865.

2. Whn I tried to reserve a range of 100G, it selected 805500-805000 (yes it's not a typo) as the first gap and then complained that there was no gap in the range. Moreover, if the user requests a large range, I think the first suitable gap should automatically be chosen. That is, if the first available gap is too small, another gap should be chosen by the program.

Sorry garo to be unpolite, but I think your post is important and more probably read here.
    If my behavior is against the unwritten rules of forum life, please let me know and it will not happen again. H.

Yes, that might create problems... Unless, may be, some chevalier among us makes necessary reservations to bring current unreasonable bound reservations to nearest 100G.

As far as I can see, there are only two reservations needed as of now,

993900-993999 chevalier <----Is this what you meant?
    996666-996700 e <----Already done

And, once these two ranges are reserved and as soon as this 100G unit is put into practice, there will never be an available range smaller than 100G up to 2^50.
    I've been doing just that, and would be happy to take these two ranges as well. The only reason I haven't before this, is that they keep multiplying. Once I'm sure that there will be no more, I'll take care of all the "odd" ones.

I'd suggest "available".

I like that!
    Last edited by Joe O; 05-28-2005 at 08:06 AM.
    Joe O

Humm, it looks like my range was to blame somehow. It must have been a left over of something from an early reservation etc... Regardless I'm going to ask Matt to check into admin privlages. I think this is where most of the problems are, I guess I need a user account seperate.

It seems to work now and all I had to do was remove the range in question.

The gap button seems to advance as it should etc...

When using the calculator, there is still the line giving a radio button for ranges of e.g. 187 G, and it is still possible to reserve ganges that are not multiples of 100G,
    starting with a 100G.
    H.

I love 67607
    A few ideas:

- links to other sites (i.e. Mike's pages, this forum, and SoB site) to open as new window

- comment box to accept "<" character (if that will be a hassle, writing 991-50m dat is no problem for me, no biggie) - further note: strange, it accepts "<", "<<", but not things like "<n<"...

- cross links with (or at least to) Mike's site, like, links to a user's sieve stats reachable through the user's page on corrdination site

- just another suggestion: using the same user id numbers with SoB (and Mike's sieve stats site) for individual users might ease things for you in the long run.

I've finally got a break from work stuff to be able to do some more work on this.

Changes I have made today are:

-Implemented a complete admin system, those with admin rights can find it from the top list of links. If you don't have admin and think you need it let me know.

-I have changed the reservation system to only recommend ranges rounded to the nearest 100G as suggested. The only exception is when the user specifies a custom range size obviously.

-I have fixed the bug with the < symbol, this was caused by me forgetting to escape the characters and it interfering with the HTML of the output. I've fixed this on the reservation page, editing ranges page and admin pages. Anywhere else I've forgotten? You may need to edit your comment and re-save it for changes to take effect.

-I like to try and stick to best practice in web design where possible and with regard to links opening in new windows I prefer not to interfere with the user's browser if I can help it. If they want to open it in a new windows they can shift+click or middle click.

-I have PMed MikeH with enquires on linking to his user stats.

Originally posted by Matt
    -I like to try and stick to best practice in web design where possible and with regard to links opening in new windows I prefer not to interfere with the user's browser if I can help it. If they want to open it in a new windows they can shift+click or middle click.
    Thank you.

I love 67607
    Cool.

-I have changed the reservation system to only recommend ranges rounded to the nearest 100G as suggested. The only exception is when the user specifies a custom range size obviously.
    I think that (and sincerely hope that) both Nuri and Joe were saying that not only should a "nearest 100G" be suggested, but required. Frankly, my first sieve range was a "nearest 100G" gap fill. I think that all new reservations should be in multiples of 100G at 100G boundaries (so xxx,xxx.x T would be the only significant digits). Now that Mike's stats don't show the ugly past where our ranges have non-round numbers, there is no reason to have the complicated and ultimately confusing range boundaries that end in anything other than 00.

If the logos isn't convincing... please please pease!

on the reserving /calculator page shows still up the word gap; has it been decided to leave it like this or should this be changed to 'available' ?
    H.

Yes Matt please change the word Gap to available b/c Gap is used for something else. Available makes the most sence.

I've changed it on the reservation page, should I also change it on the gap check page?

I've changed it on the reservation page, should I also change it on the gap check page?
    Is it a 'gap check page' or an 'available range check page'?

It's both, or they're the same aren't they? eek?!

Honesty Matt, It would probably be easier just to stick with available and available reservations, pending res, completed res, etc.

Also is it a big hastle to be able to change the username with admin access.

I was trying to update the ranges from the main site to yours and could not do so b/c I couldn't enter usernames or modify user names, etc.

Also when I was updating the site the other day it seemed slow. Where are you currently hosting?

864900-865000 jandersonlee [reserved] (with 991<n<50M dat)

Ok, admins can now create users and change the owner of ranges.

They can also manually enter ranges directly from the admin pages, this should make it easier to add them directly from the thread during the transition period.

The site is currently hosted on my home internet connection, this has a fairly pathetic 256k upload rate. I can host it on my "proper" web hosting or there was a mention of transfering to the seventeen or bust server?
    Last edited by Matt; 06-03-2005 at 03:03 PM.

Wow! I leave for a little while and you all go off and make things better.
    I should leave more often!!

I can hardly wait to actually get to use the site.

-Rychek

Should I sign up as hhh, like in the forum, or hh, like in seventeenorbust.com? Perhaps the latter is the better, as the factor submission is under the name hh...
    Suggestions?

And: when is it out of beta?
    H.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but what about the catch-up effort in the high-n range? I can understand not getting points for the higher-n, but shouldn't we get some sort of reservation page?

Available: 811600 -> 812700
    Available: 820500 -> 821500
    Available: 823500 -> 824500

Are listed as available but are reserved in the thread

I have asked that people please reserve on the site as well as in the thread, admins also have facility to manually reserve ranges on the site.

I love 67607
    Just out of curiosity..

Is there an error in (overall) pending ranges page script? Or may be I did not get the idea.

May be, I should ask a question first...

What's the difference between reserved ranges page and pending ranges page?

Just out of curiosity..

Is there an error in (overall) pending ranges page script? Or may be I did not get the idea.

May be, I should ask a question first...

What's the difference between reserved ranges page and pending ranges page?
    Exactly my question. Matt?

Pending ranges are those marked as complete by the user, the idea is that the admins verify the range has been successfully submitted and record the number of factors found.

The aim of this is to prevent a malicious user marking a whole load of ranges as complete without anyone noticing. I'll add this as a note on the pending ranges page.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast