[FIDA] Connecting to server
    [FIDA] ZZZ - Sleep for 60 seconds
    [FIDA] Requesting assignment
    [FIDA] ZZZ - Sleep for 60 seconds
    [FIDA] Requesting assignment
    FreeDC Mercenary

I think this was a temporary down time. Periodically the server does a calculation on it's own and doesn't communicate with clients. That said, we also have some down time, but I think we've been better lately.

Hate to say it but it's acting like a few weeks ago when more than half the time was spent waiting for connecting to the server.

In fact I've now progressed tp the point that all my systems are just getting continuous 60 sec timeouts now.

Reason to the problems

Hi everybody,

We are sorry about the inconvinience it cause you guys when the server does not behave as intended.

The reason for the problems is that the server software seems to "fail" when very large simulations are run. The problem is due to the large amounts of data achieved during long simulations, all the physical memory is simply being used on the computer running the server and it have to use swap memory. The swapping is a severe bottleneck and it almost stops the simulation. When the server is in this state it shows up on the client side as communication problems because the server is almost always busy doing the swapping.

Hope this is answer enough,

And by the way the server is restarted with a smaller simulation so the problem should be "solved"

Kindly Andreas

Thank you for the info!!

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries

Re: Reason to the problems

Originally posted by and_ped10
    Hi everybody,

We are sorry about the inconvinience it cause you guys when the server does not behave as intended.

The reason for the problems is that the server software seems to "fail" when very large simulations are run. The problem is due to the large amounts of data achieved during long simulations, all the physical memory is simply being used on the computer running the server and it have to use swap memory. The swapping is a severe bottleneck and it almost stops the simulation. When the server is in this state it shows up on the client side as communication problems because the server is almost always busy doing the swapping.

Hope this is answer enough,

And by the way the server is restarted with a smaller simulation so the problem should be "solved"

Kindly Andreas
    More memory needed ? What is the OS it's running anyway ?

Bok

Adding memory would help a bit, but it would be even better to fix an elusive memory leak on the server. The server is a dual opteron running fedora core something.