Thread: 27653 * 2^9167433 + 1 is prime!

27653 * 2^9167433 + 1 is prime!

Headline says it all.

We found another and all the details are on the homepage and in the press release:
    http://www.seventeenorbust.com/
    http://www.seventeenorbust.com/docum...s-061505.mhtml

This is an awesome find for a ton of reasons. Here's the top ones I can think of:
    #1 - IT'S A PRIME... always a good thing. Upper bounds for remaining numbers can be tested that much faster.
    #2 - k=27653 was the original multiplier SB started on. Almost all the old tests done that have no residues are for this k value. So finding a prime for this k saves more retests than others might.
    #3 - Sieve speed will improve once new .dat files are distributed.
    #4 - This prime was found by a true SB veteran. Derek Gordon has been running SB since May 2002 when SB was only 1 month old. He was crunching back when SB had no primes to its name, no speedy client, no pretty stats... nothing.
    #5 - We finally didn't have to wait till December.
    #6 - We stopped assignment of k=27653 as soon as we had the first test in. No wasted assignments while we verified the residue.
    #7 - Did I mention it's A NEW PRIME

Great work everyone. Go check out the news if you haven't yet:
    http://www.seventeenorbust.com/

Spread the word to other forums and news sites. We want everyone to know what a great job everyone's done.

Cheers,
    Louie

You forgot these:

Got to clean up the worktodo's...
    H.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries

nice job guys!

10orbust ?

Bok

I guess I wasn't to fast then
    http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...&threadid=9368

I've got a bit of worktodo's to clean up also.

Great job everyone.

Congrats Louie,

May I add:

- The denisty of this k is not very high so the possibility that it would have existed beyond 20M was greater.

May I also add well done:

- As a group we managed to keep things quite until it could be verified, even though some of us knew/assumed.
    - Louie did a great job acting quickly so that additional tests we not assigned
    - I believe this scores as #5, we now have the 5th and 6th largest primes known.

Originally posted by vjs
    Congrats Louie,

May I add:

- The denisty of this k is not very high so the possibility that it would have existed beyond 20M was greater.

May I also add well done:

- As a group we managed to keep things quite until it could be verified, even though some of us knew/assumed.
    - Louie did a great job acting quickly so that additional tests we not assigned
    - I believe this scores as #5, we now have the 5th and 6th largest primes known.
    Heh, not just Louie was involved with this. Both Dave and I did work with it.. Dave is actually the one who removed the tests from the server and I'm the one who verified the prime

Of course Dave sorry, keep up the good work.

/.

I just tried to send an article to slashdot ... but I think it's to early in the morning as I even made a typo in the headline.
    Anyhow l'd suggest others try the same (and be a bit more thourough than me) even though it's only the 5th largest prime this should be enough to get us on /. and hopefully get a few new users that way.

Re: /.

Originally posted by Frodo42
    I just tried to send an article to slashdot ... but I think it's to early in the morning as I even made a typo in the headline.
    Anyhow l'd suggest others try the same (and be a bit more thourough than me) even though it's only the 5th largest prime this should be enough to get us on /. and hopefully get a few new users that way.
    They rejected my article. They rejected the last one I sent... also, this is the largest non-mersenne prime.. so that's a big thing.

I encourge submitting to /. and kuro5hin also.

Congratulations everybody

Congrats SoB,

Another wonderful day for prime finders. Also, congrats to the sievers and the P-1 effort for making this prime possible. Without all of you eliminating k/n pairs on a dialy basis, this prime would have been much longer in the finding. I would very much like to see SoB hit a cluster of 3 primes in the next 30 days to help promote the B2 Theory of Prime Bunching of Like K Values. Sure, it is a hairbrained scheme but it would be nice to come true.

Again, congrats from me personally, and everyone at Riesel Sieve. May you guys hurry up and find all your primes...because we will soon need the help.

Lee Stephens
    Riesel Sieve

Sieve it, baby!

Thumbs up

Congratulations from my side as well!

It was a nice feeling, ending a working day with such a good news.

Oh, and I think this was the k I guessed being next (I also guessed it last time, but who cares? )

Congratulations to everyone involved!

In addition to everyone we have already thanked for their hard work, let us not forget MikeH. He has been busily updating the sieving/factoring stats to reflect the new prime. Thanks Mike!
    Joe O

Sceptical Member
    Congratulations to all

Sceptic
    Violently sceptical!

nice done.

How much of the total-power was on that K.
    1/9 or more.

This will offcourse increase the speed progress on the other k-numbers.