Thread: What now?

What now?

First of all: Good job on finding another prime!

But what now? My "main client-thingie" (or SecondPass or whatever it's called) is working on some stuff with k=27653 and I guess that's obsolete, right?

So what do I need to do? Does the network connection solve it or is all my work now useless?

Have you updated to the latest client (version2.4)? There seems to be a clear the cache button, if you press it, you will get another test from the que with another k.
    You can just wait that the test finishes too, but I don't know if you will still get credits.
    Have you thought about doing Secondpass (usernameQQQsecondpass)? The tests are faster and it's better for the project. (username should be replaced by your username, OmbooHankvald or whatever you signed up with in the main site.
    Hope I am not mistaken about the button, H.

Yes I have v2.4 but I can't seem to find a "clear cache" button on the client.

Maybe I'll join this SecondPass stuff when I get to understand it a bit...

One way to clear the cache is to change your username in the client (->config), as this brings up a window with the suggestion to clear the cache and a button to do it.

A good way to do this is to get a secondpass test by entering yourusernameQQQsecondpass

Secondpass itself is a double check of tests which have already been handed out. Secondpass finishes tests a lot faster (15h on my 2.6 GHz Sempron).
    Right now, firstpass tests are at n = 9.3 M, while secondpass is at n = 2.1 M

The reason for secondpass is that a prime might have been missed.

If you prefer to just clear the cache and not actually do secondpass, change the username again (back to your username without the QQQ thing).

Question: Does anyone know when secondpass will be reassigned? I remember it was 24h some time ago. Has this changed? If not I suggest considering to increase the time.

Chris I already suggested changing secondpass time out to 1 week, I'm not sure if Louie or Dave have done so yet.

I'd suggest just letting your test finish it will pick up another test once that one is finished.

All k=27653's have been removed from the ques so there is no chance of picking up another one of these k's.

I always wondered if dropped prime k's were reassigned back into the que. I guess the easy answer to that is if que assignment is static or dynamic. I'm pretty sure the assignment que is smart enough to delete the dropped k/n pairs of primes.

Thanks for replying! I've changed k and I think I'm doing a bit secondpass on my Athlon for the time being. What part is the most "important": first- og secondpass???

I don't think it really matters.

Secondpass is doing tests which were at firstpass about 2 years ago, and is considered to be way behind.

Firstpass vs. secondpass is a complex topic, so i suggest:

Just run what suits you more.

I love 67607
    My suggestion.

If you have a slow computer which takes a couple of weeks to finish first pass, and if you do not want to hassle with sieving stuff, and you want to help SB, then second pass seems the logical choice.

Still, as the tests at secondpass are already tested once, your chances of finding a prime is significantly lower.

Still, as the tests at secondpass are already tested once, your chances of finding a prime is significantly lower.
    Nuri I can't say that I agree with you here... on a per test basis the chances are definetly lower but not by time investment.

A not so trivial calculation...

How many secondpass tests can you do in the time it takes you to do one first pass?
    Time firstpass / time secondpass

What is the error rate for tests?
    - If it's 2% then 1 test in 50 was done incorrectly, if it's 5% one in 20 were done incorrectly.
    - Primality has no influence on if a test is completed correctly or not.

What is the probablility any number is prime how does this change with n?
    - As we go to higher n each test is less likely to be prime

What influence does a missed prime have on the project as a whole?
    -debateable

But what now?
    The first thing that has to be done is to rename June to December.