Thread: Information logging

Information logging

I am currently using the Text based version under a MS Windows environment. As everybody knows, Microsoft OS is not the most stable environment but due to company constraints I can't move to any other OS. Furthermore I am working with a laptop so I push my system regularly in Standby, which is not always successful (System hangs). In this case I loose my working units (or at least the last unfinished set).

I have 2 questions:
    - Is there any intention to change the program in such a way that you can recover all units (or at least the biggest part)? Programs used at other DB area's (like THINK) have the ability to continue where you stopped (or crashed in my case).
    - Is there a planning to build a feature to hold the application automatically when running on battery power. This feature is very important for mobile users especially to save energy and battery life-time (batteries don’t like to be loaded heavily and you shorten the life-time drastically) At this moment I have to start and stop the application every time I move around (again THINK has this capability)

Thanks,
    Akkermans

As I believe is mentioned in the README, the screensaver monitors battery power and stops when it gets below about 70% or so. You should run this on your laptop, not the client. As for the crashing, the most you will ever lose at one time is 4999 or one less than whatever it says until next upload.
    Howard Feldman

But what about us no-netters?

when we have a crash after the program has started and the computer is running unattended (so 24/7 without closing) it doesnt make or update the filelist.txt file so when system crashes (I can only speak about win98) I loose this filelist.txt file and I will be forced to make it myself if I can, if not I'll been folding for nothing

( I posted something about this here but its not right about updating the filelist.txt file when client is closed ones and restarting, it doesn't update at all, only when you close the client down again it updates the filelist file)

I'm now restarting my client every now and again to make sure the data wich is made is saved so if I have a crash not all is lost.
    Last edited by Nofinger; 06-01-2002 at 06:01 PM.
    Nofinger
    ...See you at the Windmills!!

Proud Member of The Genome Collective

The intended behaviour is to update filelist.txt on disk every 5000 or whatever structures, whether you are onlne or not. Of course if you are online, your files will be uploaded and there's no need to put anything in filelist.txt.

If you are saying that filelist.txt is not in your directory and you have made over 5000 structures that that may be a bug which I need to fix. If so, let me know exactly what you did to get this problem, what OS and what if any changes were made to foldit.bat. I will try to reproduce it then.
    Howard Feldman

I haven't tryed it with this client but with the last one it didn't make a filelist.txt file (or you had to shutdown without uploading then it did) out of it's own.
    It also didn't updated that file if it was there so also not after 5000 units.

I only have added -df -i f to the foldit.bat file and I work in win98

I'll try it on this client and if its the same I'll come back on it (but it takes a while with this 182 one )
    Nofinger

It now has done 5000 units and saved those to disk but no Filelist file (btw its now half-way the next 5000 units)
    so I think it still doesnt make/update the filelist file.
    I'll let it run until the next 5000 are been saved and if it still not make a filelist file I'll start doing it my way again (closing the client now and again)
    Nofinger

I have verified that when run with the -if option, the client does NOT write out the filelist.txt every 5000 or whatever. This was a BUG and has been fixed. A corrected version will be posted in a week or when we switch proteins next (check the News on the web site for this). If you simply MUST have the updated EXE right now, simply e-mail us at trades@mshri.on.ca and we can send you a copy (specify OS).

filelist.txt does get written out if you do not use -if, whether or not you are online at the time.
    Howard Feldman

Thanks Brian, just as normal, A good and quick response from you (and Team)

I'll wont be needing that update, I can manage till the next update

Nofinger

I don't know what is the story with others but at least my client program still has the aforementioned problem.

My situation is similar to Akkermans, I have w2k in machine that has a tendency to crash (pretty sure it's hardware related problem). With previous target it didn't matter so much but current target is so slow that getting to 5000 takes time (it has taken me ~7.5h to get to 10000).

I'll just hope the version with adjustable upload frequency comes out soon.

-Tuukka