Thread: automatically starting a new range

automatically starting a new range

I'm due to finish a range tonight, but I'll probably be out at a concert when the range finishes, and I would like to be able to set proth sieve to start a new range (which is already reserved), when my current one is finished.

However, I would also like the new range to start a new set of files, i..e new fact.txt, SobStatus, etc, as I like to keep different ranges seperate.

An alternative would be to create a seperate instance of proth sieve in the different folder, with its own dat file, etc, and set that running with the new range. Assuming that will work, I would expect that to slow down the current range while I'm away, but I assume the combined speed should be about the same. Would that be likely to work?

Yup, the latter is the better option and is what I do if I'm near the end of a range.

And yes, the combined speed will be the same.

I'm back now, perhaps a bit earlier than expected, and the sieving hasn't quite finished yet, although it will be in the next couple of hours. I had the second sieving folder set up before I went, but I hadn't made a note of the range I reserved, and the automated reservation site appeared to be down. It's up now, so I'll set the new range sieving soon. Thanks for the help Greenbank.

Sieve it, baby!
    If concurrent instances slow down the overall throughput, you could consider simply using a batch file / shell script.

Edited because I can't read