Thread: 50% cpu usage

50% cpu usage

If I boot an Intel-based laptop w/Knoppix 3.9, then nfs mount the fad dir, then run top I see 99% cpu usage for think. Normal and expected. But when I boot a new AMD Sempron laptop the same way I am only seeing 50% cpu usage for think. I dont know much about cpu throttling but I can see that /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling has an active state of T0 which is 00%.
    I tried Knoppix 3.7, same issue. When I try to boot w noacpi option it didnt boot all the way.

The only oddity I can report having done is that for a brief moment I had two computers (one of them the Sempron laptop) running as Knoppix and hitting on the same (third computer) fad server: i.e. perhaps it thought I had a multi-cpu system and divided the load for that fad job? But that doesnt make sense because both cpus would still be able to run at 100%.

How many CPUs are showing up in /proc/cpuinfo? It may be that your Sempron is showing up as a dual-core (...or something...) that makes top think only half the CPU power is being used.

What's your load average after running it (at the 50% level) for about 10 minutes? Is the load average 1, or 0.5?
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima

Looks like it isnt seeing the right processor speed: it says 995MHz but it should be 1.8Ghz,

processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 15
    model : 31
    model name : AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+
    stepping : 0
    cpu MHz : 995.075
    cache size : 128 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 1
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 pni syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow
    bogomips : 1961.98

Update: called Compaq and they are having me flash the bios since I reported seeing both 994 mhz and then 546 mhz in the WINDOWS control panel/system/properties and the msinfo screens. Looks like it will be bios going backward from f15 to f14.

Hardware, not fad, issue.

Ah, well, never mind then. (At work, I hate it when I spend three days trying to fix my programs, while the whole time, the issue was a hardware error...)
    "If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe, you will probably not be happy."

-- Originally posted by Paratima

Well the bios downgrade didnt do anything. The Windows msinfo32 still says its running at 994Mhz. HP support had me download the AMD "cpuinfo" application and it says the cpu is running properly at 1.8G. The Bios itself has always said it is running at 1.8G. So at this point, under Windows, it would appear to be running properly just not reporting itself properly. I dont know what the Linux issue could be, so I'll give it a few months and try the next versio nof Knoppix in hope maybe the chip will be recognized properly.

Blog Entries
    MerePeer
    I think I have seen a CPU fix for windows on the AMD wedsite I think under utitlys? Not sure

Looks like Cool 'n' Quiet is being activated.

Do you have a setting in the bios to turn it off ?

The bios has only a few things changable not including coolNquiet.

I was wondering about coolNquiet myself because of the randomness: sometimes when it boots into Windows (especially after hard power restart) it displays as 1.8Ghz, but after rebooting it seems to always show as 994Mhz. Correspondingly I see FAD ratings between 88 and 112 at initial boot when it says 994Mhz, then over time this increases to ~160: almost like the processor is saying "Scotty I need more power now!", and getting it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ahhh, a laptop... try looking at the power settings in control panel.
    See if you can set it for always on or something.

Get CBid for detailed CPU info, and a bit more http://cbid.amdclub.ru/

Also have a look at
    RMClocck for Power Managment feature, throttling, blah blah http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml

SpeedSwitch for more control over Windows Power Managment http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/ getting old now though

Crystal CPU is a bit of everything but can also show you your current MHz in a nice big window.
    http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...D/index-e.html

Everest

Also a good computer information program

http://www.lavalys.com/products/over...?pid=1&lang=en
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."