Thread: I just want to send a frickin email to frickin Apple

I just want to send a frickin email to frickin Apple

When you have an unusual question or topic for Apple(like discussing the idea of a specialized DC client) their online help sucks majorly.

I'm seriously thinking about opening a random chat session and explaining my problem to whoever shows up.

I'm intrigued as to what you had in mind. Don't forget though, Apple are going to be moving architectures from PowerPC to X86, so there is less chance of there being a specific Mac only project than ever before.

Originally posted by Biggles
    I'm intrigued as to what you had in mind. Don't forget though, Apple are going to be moving architectures from PowerPC to X86, so there is less chance of there being a specific Mac only project than ever before.
    I've read some amazing things about Apple's(and X-Box and the the PS3) ability to crunch numbers, and at the very least I'm intrigued. My intentions when I went to the site were to ask if it was possible to buy some 2-3 year old chip and RAM technology with everything else more like 5-7 years old. Basically a machine JUST for crunching.

Unfortunately, unless I want to bull my way in by lying about my problem, I'm screwed. My solution was to make up an email address,"techsupport@apple.com" and pray to God I get a response.

jasong

What exactly were you asking apple for ?

jasong,

Nope. Won't work. Apple doesn't part out pieces for building your own. You have to be a certified re-seller or repair shop.

And as far as that goes, it's moot after Apple cuts over to Pentium *blech* technology because the PowerPC's Altivec engine is what makes G4's and G5's such killer boxes on some DC projects.

You could go out and buy a used Dual 2.5/7 G5 right now..and it would STILL kick the living snot out of anything Intel or AMD come out with in two years time. My dual 1.8 is a monster on OGR and I don't see selling it for YEARS to come.

I'm not one of the fanboy's who feels that Apples Intel move is stupid (ok..yes I do ) but I am willing to wait and see what the future brings and what kind of performance Apple gets.

But the DC party is pretty much over once the Intel cutover is complete.

Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

Originally posted by Chinasaur
    jasong,

Nope. Won't work. Apple doesn't part out pieces for building your own. You have to be a certified re-seller or repair shop.
    Don't laugh after I tell you my method for finding it, but I DID find a parts seller for Apple a few months ago. It took twenty minutes and some hardcore prayer, but I DID find a site at one time. I discovered it by asking God to help me.

If you continue reading you'll see one of the weirdest short sermons ever, but I sincerely believe the following.

I discovered a long time ago that the God of the Bible wants fellowship above all else. I went to Him about 4 days ago, asking Him why he always seems to dump bad stuff on me, which some people think is a bad idea. But if you go to Him sincerely desiring and explecting an answer, He ALWAYS answers, just not necessarily in a way you like. You can ask Him anything you want to know and he'll have some sort of answer, whether the question is how to get to heaven or,"Where the hell can I find an Apple parts reseller?" You'd be amazed at the benefits you can get by putting aside 20-30 minutes a day for "spiritual stuff." I wouldn't have discovered DCing if I weren't bored one day and disbelieved my Mom's assertion that helping with hard science would take weeks worth of study. I just entered "computer science" as a random string and ultimately discovered what was originally referred to as the Aspenleaf site(now distributedcomputing.info)

/Biblethumping mode off