Thread: Considering engineering as major

Considering engineering as major

Hi, I just moved to LA and I'm starting college this Monday. I'll be studying at Santa Monica College before transferring to University. For the major, I've been considering Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Engineering, although I'm more interested in ME. As for the Universities, I might go to UCLA or USC.

Did anyone of you study engineering back in university? I think most of you guys studied computer science right? My family members mostly studied economics/business, so they asked me whether I'm sure of taking engineering, looking at the heavy requirements to be admitted. Do you have any suggestions?

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    I didn't do engineering as such, I did Theoretical Physics but in the first year there was much more practical physics which I guess was similar to Engineering..

Bok

Free-DC's Prime Search
    I am finishing my studies in Mechanical Engineering. What do you want to know?
    This is the current plan of studies for Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Engineering.

Carlos

Actually I am just starting college, and I still have to complete the required courses to apply to university. Do you enjoy studying it?

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Originally posted by -Xp-
    Actually I am just starting college, and I still have to complete the required courses to apply to university. Do you enjoy studying it?
    Yes and no. I noticed it was very hard to conciliate studies with DC projects so I suggest you concentrate in studying. I made an error and now I am paying.
    The major problem here, and I don't know if it is the same there, is what you learn in classes doesn't give you skills to pass in the exam. I noticed you have to study the exams of the previous years. 70% of the teachers don't follow a book, they give you a bunch of books to study and you waste more time looking for the right book to study rather than studying the right thing.

The Mechinical Engineering course is a cultural degree. You learn a little of everything and it is a plus when you start to work. You learn math, chemistry, drawing in paper and using AutoCad/Solidworks, materials, mechanics (estatic, dynamic, fluid, solid, structural, etc), economy, almost everything related to motors (electric, pneumatic, combustion, hydrogen, etc), etc, and the list goes on. You earn/learn a sensivity for everything.

Prepare to work hard and to have a few nights without sleeping.

But if you want to learn how to cool a processor using vapor phase change cooling/chilled lquid cooling/etc, Mechanical Engineering is the right choice.

I hope this gives you a little about the portuguese degree.

You can contact me via PM or using the email (accounts in yahoo and gmail using my nick).

Carlos