Thread: Minimizing energy (?)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Minimizing energy (?)

I said something about this during the beta (I think; either that, or soon after the phase 2 switchover), but it appears to be worse now. I'm guessing that it might be because the client is minimizing energy on every structure during gen 0 now?

Anyway, the attached gkrellm image is the CPU usage I'm seeing. Green is normal (userspace), nice time -- what the client gets, usually. Orange is kernel-mode time. The graph's right side is "now", and it moves about one pixel per second.

Relevant output of ps aux:

Code:
    USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
    <user>     368 97.6  7.9 76444 61992 ?       RN   05:42 115:56 ./foldtrajlite
    This is Linux 2.4.20 (though the kernel version probably doesn't matter too much). Any other system details can be given, but I don't think (at the moment) that they'd be relevant.

My question basically is, why is it using so much kernel time? Should I run it through strace to try to figure out what in the heck it's trying to do in kernel mode? These orange spike-looking things happen every time it starts to minimize energy (between every generation), also, but the frequency is much lower once gen 0 is done.
    Attached Images Attached Images