Thread: May have reserved too much for factoring.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

May have reserved too much for factoring.

Hopefully, I haven't done too much damage, but here's the deal:

I have only one lonely computer to apply to my DC hobby, but I like to jump around. My sieving commitment is set to complete around the middle of June and I was getting bored, so I decided to do a small amount of factoring. I reserved from 9370000-9380000 and it told me I had 262 numbers in that range.

Approximately how long will that take? Since I'm sieving a very low range, there's little possibility that my sieving will matter for the next 1-2 years, but I don't know whether or not people will want to look at my efforts in the interim.

Can someone please state an opinion as to what I should do next? I have a 1.75GHz Sempron running things, so that's another possible concern(I'll have to keep an eye on things).

Any advice, including the assurance that as long as I remember my commitment I'm fine(I hope) is welcome.

Edit: my "very low range" is 58000-59000 999-50M

edit 2: According to my math, applied to a partially completed first test, the first test will take about 7600 seconds, or about 2 hours 6 minutes. Multiplied by the 262 number, that amounts to about 23 days. Given the present rate, did I screw up? Should I start over with a lower range(maybe halfway through what I have right now) I think that's what I'll do, sorry for cluttering things.
    Last edited by jasong; 05-29-2005 at 06:02 PM.