Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How low can you go?

Originally posted by dnar

Yay! (Measure all 8 amps of it)
    Woah there, tiger.

I never claimed it was PULLING 8A. I correct the misnomer that a "300W power supply" was only capable of drawing 300W. I used the 280W PS that was laying in front of me to do it. That particular supply will pop its fuse if it pulls better than 8A for very long. Period.

Perhaps we should buy a few windmills or a group of solar panels for our DC needs

Join us now...and get xx Wh of electricity for free

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    I could arrange that (the windmill) - I have a friend that works at the largest windmill company in the world (the windmill companies in Denmark have about 50% of the world marked and I believe this company have about 20% of the US marked!), so just say when and I'll get a nice big 2-3MW Windmill placed in your backyard
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

How much would equipment and installation cost for one of those 3MW models?

Originally posted by pointwood
    I could arrange that (the windmill) - I have a friend that works at the largest windmill company in the world (the windmill companies in Denmark have about 50% of the world marked and I believe this company have about 20% of the US marked!), so just say when and I'll get a nice big 2-3MW Windmill placed in your backyard
    Go wind! Why oh why are the 3rd world countries adopting nuclear power before wind I will never know...

Checkout these shots taken of the Albany windfarm being built: http://dnaresearch.com.au/images/wor..._windfarm.html

Un-freakingReal!! Great pix. Thanks, dnar.

Here's an article about a new wind farm in Britain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/2103320.stm

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    Originally posted by Halon50
    How much would equipment and installation cost for one of those 3MW models?
    Currently I believe 2MW is the biggest, but I know 3MW should soon be a reality.

The price? Hmm...I don't acutally know the price but I believe it is above $3 mill.

Such windmills are *huge* - the "tower" is up in about 60 meters and weights around 50 ton (50.000 kilo).

The total ground pressure of these windmills are around 500 ton! (and Vestas, which is the company my friend works for, is considered making some of the less heavy mills in the marked!)
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Originally posted by pointwood
    Well, the fact is that our backyard is quite large...but not large enough to place a windmill

The landscape would be ideal though..

I live in the northern part of The Netherlands and when I look around 360 degrees along the horizon from our attic I see about 100 - 120 windmills in action!

Of course we, the Dutch, have a reputation too when it comes to windmills .... in fact we live in our country the way it is now because windmills made it possible to (re)claim land from the water again (like shown here & told here )

Well, before going further OT. I'll stop my small history lesson here

Oh, of course our electricity generating windmills don't look like the images above; those are obviously also modern turbines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12