Thread: PSP Sieve + SOB Sieve

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ok well now I'm curious and frustrated, I submitted the factors for a 800G and 300G range to the Seventeenorbus.com/sieve/ form while logged in as my subteam XSthemachine and it hasn't credited any points or even added the username to the XS team over at stats.free-dc.org. Does it take longer than 18 hours for the stats server or am I missing a step? Tired of being in 49th place, want to advance

My understanding is that they are scored manually & usually take a couple of weeks (or more) to post. If you look at the free-dc page or the SB Sieving and factoring scores page they were last updated 18-Feb-2007.

Oh.. I was just so used to the PSP Sieve with instant-gratification : Thanks, I'm just impatient and want results Now and not yesterday :\

I completely understand. Here's what I've done to cope, since I only do combined sieving, not dedicated SoB sieving. I look at the SoB points as a bonus. I'm not sure when it's going to come in, or how big it's going to be, but when they show up it's like a surprise present. I've even trained myself to stop hitting refresh every few minutes. There should be some sort of group for us statsaholics. But i fear that it would be something along the lines of !!

I am no expert, but have made some observations. Please correct me if I am mistaken. The SOB sieve stats is different than most other stats. Instead of giving credits for the amount of sieve work you have done, it gives credits for how much work your sieve effort have saved work in the main SOB project. The main project tests all numbers that fits this formula k*2^n +1 to check if they are primes. The project does this with increasing n values. Sieving has a different approach, it looks at increasing large numbers and checks if any number that follows the above formula is a factor of that number. If it is, the n value of the factor is not tested in the main project. Thus, work is saved.

The combined sieve is partly rework for the SOB project. It has been sieved already for n's up to 20M. This means that most SOB n's that is found is larger than 20M. The main project is currently at n approx. 13M. So, it will be some time until the combined sieve effort will save work for the main project. Until then only low stats credits will be given and hardly enough to move anywhere in the stats. You have to look at the SOB sieve credits as an almost free bonus that will/may pay large dividents in the future. Good patience is needed

Blog Entries
    basically you go to http://www.seventeenorbust.com/sieve/ and submit your fact.txt. you should be logged at site to gain scores.
    then you also submit factexcl.txt at the above page. this is needed for gap analysis.

then you wait. )))
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Quote Originally Posted by Death
    basically you go to http://www.seventeenorbust.com/sieve/ and submit your fact.txt. you should be logged at site to gain scores.
    then you also submit factexcl.txt at the above page. this is needed for gap analysis.

then you wait. )))
    Death, are you saying that we submit factexcl.txt in the form at http://www.seventeenorbust.com/sieve/? I've never done it before because my previous PSP/SOB sieve client didn't create factexcl.txt, but now I've got proth_sieve for combined sieving.