Thread: How to get started

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    1St dumb Q
    IB I tried running RSCC It looked up all of my Nodes just fine
    But it says No Service is running on them,how do I stat a Service on the remotes
    Will this give me access to them like VNC does?

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Running the client as a Win9x/WinNT/2000/XP Service

A Win9x/WinNT/2000/XP service is a process that starts running when the computer is powered up, and does not stop until the computer is powered down. Unlike normal processes, services will continue to run even when a user logs out.

Obviously, a service does not have access to remote file and disk resources that require a user to log in first. (This restriction can be nullified on NT - see FAQ below)

To install the client as a service, run the client with the -install switch. This will cause it to register itself with the service handler, which will in turn automatically start the client the next time the computer is powered up. To deinstall a client previously installed as a service, start it with the -uninstall switch.

FAQ

Q: When installed as a service, the client cannot access files on remote drives (network shares). How come?
    A: When installed as a service, the client is (on NT, by default) not running in a user's context (there isn't a user logged in). Under Win9x, where security is virtually non-existant, the client *could* theoretically access network shares /once/ a user has logged in, but that is obviously not a good idea . On NT, the service can be configured from the service manager to start in a context other than the default "Local System": Control Panel -> services -> properties on service. there's a radio button to change between local system and another account. Also if the machine is a backup domain controller, all control panel choices for service userids/passwords, other than localuser, are grayed out whenever the machine doesn't have a connection to the primary domain controller.

Q: On NT, trying to -install as service from 'AT' fails, but works fine otherwise. Whats up with that?
    A: AT runs by default in a non-desktop context, and the client's "have a valid shell" check fails. The solution is to check 'interact with desktop' in the scheduler config and install the service with "-quiet -install".

Blog Entries
    OK let see if I understand : So for me to use the RSCC program I must first install a DNET client as a service ?
    Then I can control them turn on or off from the program console
    Ouch I have a headache

Quote Originally Posted by LAURENU2 View Post
    1St dumb Q
    IB I tried running RSCC It looked up all of my Nodes just fine
    But it says No Service is running on them,how do I stat a Service on the remotes
    Will this give me access to them like VNC does?:looney:
    I don't know what RSCC is ...

Edit dnetc.ini for your site.

Copy the two files dnetc.exe and dnetc.ini to a folder on the remote computer. like c:\dcprojects\dnetc
    You should share c:\dcprojects as dcprojects on every computer to make this easy.
    Then VNC to that computer and start dnetc.exe

Done.
    Now, if you have dcprojects shared on every computer, you can use a batch file to do the hard work.
    if not exist \\remotecomputername\dcprojects\dnetc mkdir dnetc
    copy dnetc.exe \\remotecomputername\dcprojects\dnetc
    copy dnetc.ini \\remotecomputername\dcprojects\dnetc

CN = computernames
    @echo off
    for %%i in (CN1, CN2, CN3, CN4, CN5 CN6 CN7 CN8 CN9 CN10 CN11) do goto :DOIT %%i

goto :END

:DOIT
    echo Processing %1, please wait...
    if not exist \\%1\dcprojects echo Could not find %1\dcprojects & goto :EOF
    if not exist \\%1\dcprojects\dnetc mkdir \\%1\dcprojects\dnetc
    if not exist \\%1\dcprojects\dnetc echo Could not create dnetc on %1\dcprojects & goto :EOF

copy dnetc.exe \\%1\dcprojects\dnetc
    copy dnetc.ini \\%1\dcprojects\dnetc
    goto :EOF

:END
    echo Done!

:EOF