Thread: P-1 coordination thread - discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I started running on the other core. I moved what was in between 14004000 to 14007999 to the other core. I should be in could shape, but I will keep a close eye it. Now to find some good stuff .

Again I'm curious about what B1 and B2 values you are using.

I have a core2duo I might be able to help out with if you start to fall behind.

Quote Originally Posted by vjs
    Again I'm curious about what B1 and B2 values you are using.

I have a core2duo I might be able to help out with if you start to fall behind.
    B1 is 120000 and B2 is 1700000. I took what you had in your example back on 6/30. I hope those are good numbers to use. I have been reading about B1/B2, but need to do some more reading how how they work.

The 1st core I started is working on 14001058 right now.

PRP is at 13641092 at the time I started to write this post. Between that value and 14000000 there are 6949 k n pairs. At approximately 100 pairs/day that is 70 days work. glennpat said that he is factoring at approximately 7 pairs/day/core and we know that there are 216 pairs in his interval. Which means that he will finish that interval in 31 days, or less now that he is using two cores.
    What we need to worry about is the next interval, and the one after that. To stay ahead of PRP would take 14 or 15 cores running at the same speed as glennpat's machine. Look's like it's time to start P-1 factoring in earnest.
    Joe O

Thanks Glennpat and Joe,

Glennpat if your in a team or something try to recruite a few more people for P-1.

And to Joe

As always Joe your analysis is right on the money. I am currently working on some stuff with Lars but have no problem returning for some P-1 when nessary.

Might be time to start the drum roll.

_----------_

The other issue or comment is that a little P-1 is better than no P-1, so if push comes to shove. We can always run slightly lower B1 B2 values ( although this would not be my choice).

According to Joes Math we would need another 6 people like Glennpat. I wonder if Louie is up to doing a little more P-1 as well. He threw quite a bit of CPU at the project a while back.

I've got a 2.8GHz dual-core Pentium-D I could throw at it, with about 1200MB of RAM available.

If any of the mods(I don't know who the main people are running the project, so I'm just going to listen to the mods) think I'm needed, just decide whether I should use one or both cores with the 1200MB of RAM, give me some B1/B2 values(if there isn't a way to get the computer to figure it out), tell me how big a range I should reserve, and post the info here.

If that's too much, but I am needed, just point me in the right direction.

(I have no idea how much RAM is needed, so help with that would be appreciated)

Jasong,
    First question: Do you have Prime95 set up on your machine? If so, do you have one directory or two? If not, you need to set up Prime95 on your machine. When it asks if you want to use Primenet, just say no.
    Let's start with that.
    Joe O

Never mind, I'm just going to jump in. I'll reserve a tiny range and time it tomorrow afternoon.

For stage 1 RAM is not an issue, for stage 2, the more the better, though the impact gets smaller the more you have.

I have a theory that running two copies of prime95/mprime on a dualcore/hyperthreaded machine gives not twice the speed, but a little more nevertheless.
    So I once tried to figure out how to let one instance of prime95 run stage 1, (the command with B1=B2), and the other one stage 2, with lots of Ram. The idea was to have the time for stage 1 a little less than the time for stage 2, so that the first instance is always a bit ahead, and have the savefiles in one shared directory.

There are commands for the prime.ini etc. to specify the work directory, but I got stuck somehow and never got it working. If somebody else has some spare time to figure things out, it may work though.

H.

Quote Originally Posted by vjs
    Thanks Glennpat and Joe,

Glennpat if your in a team or something try to recruite a few more people for P-1.

And to Joe

As always Joe your analysis is right on the money. I am currently working on some stuff with Lars but have no problem returning for some P-1 when nessary.

Might be time to start the drum roll.

_----------_

The other issue or comment is that a little P-1 is better than no P-1, so if push comes to shove. We can always run slightly lower B1 B2 values ( although this would not be my choice).

According to Joes Math we would need another 6 people like Glennpat. I wonder if Louie is up to doing a little more P-1 as well. He threw quite a bit of CPU at the project a while back.

I started a p-1 thread on the XtreamSystem asking for some p-1 help and how to get started. Thanks for putting the worktodo.ini files in the other coordination thread. I don't think it was there when I started and will help me and new people.

Now for the quad prices to drop .

Quote Originally Posted by glennpat
    I started a p-1 thread on the XtreamSystem asking for some p-1 help and how to get started. Thanks for putting the worktodo.ini files in the other coordination thread. I don't think it was there when I started and will help me and new people.

Now for the quad prices to drop .
    No, the worktodo.ini files were not there when you started. Your experience starting up, and that of jasong and others, prompted me to do that. It is also the easiest way to provide just the unfactored k n pairs, and keep it relatively up to date. You are welcome.
    Joe O