Thread: Hey, Bok, Keep crankin'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    As far as I have been able to determine, they're all in favor of more crunchers at this time. Since they're very strict about the homogeneous redundancy thing, the wider variety of boxen they get, the better for all the users. That's what started this thread. I need folks with the same CPU/OS combination to cross-verify my results and vice versa.

The current major problem, AFAIK, is that they're having to use longer WU's to get better precision and there's no checkpointing. We had this problem early on with FAD, as some may remember. If you need to reboot (or get rebooted) you lose your current progress. WU's run 2-6 hours, give or take, depending on your horsepower. They're having major grief from the compilers and libraries they have to use.

Really, we'd love to have you in. PM Bok for the invite code and that should do it. If you get the code and it still won't play ball, let us know!
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Thanks Bok! I'm all in.

I noticed the Eon clients seem to hog up the NIC which makes Boinc think the network is down, so I halved the amount of clients on each computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Paratima
    The current major problem, AFAIK, is that they're having to use longer WU's to get better precision and there's no checkpointing. We had this problem early on with FAD, as some may remember. If you need to reboot (or get rebooted) you lose your current progress.
    No! Checkpointing works fine. It is just the progress indicator which is broken.

It doesn't matter that the CPU time resets each time you start/stop a WU, it is still resuming from the last checkpoint.

Interesting! I sit corrected.

It's really hard to tell from the discussions on their forum. So much stuff gets tossed around, more or less at random. There are at least six threads for every potential problem, general lack of organization and several Ultimate Authorities. Oh well, long as it works.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.