Thread: BOINC Sieving

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ...and the standings are now

Code:
      1  engracio
      2+ PrimeGrid
      3- glennpat

It's good to see you guys utilizing the boinc platform to sieve. I thought our success over at Riesel Sieve would catch your attention sometime. We are closing in on 5P and almost 4P of that is boinc sieve. Since we still have 66 k values left...it would have taken forever to sieve to this depth without boinc. Currently we are down to just 14T/day as we are moving more focus to LLR.

Ride the boinc sieve wave as long as you can. As long as those factors keep falling out...I'd ride that pony until it died.

Good luck and see you at the prime race finish line.

Lee Stephens
    www.rieselsieve.com

PrimeGrid is #1 for this year in sieving and has reached position #6 over all time - not bad!

Sieve really going strong with bionic and the manual ranges.

PSP just eliminated a k so that should speed things up a touch as well. On wards and upwards. It's possible to beat riesel in sieve since our dat is smaller we would just need more people.

Should all sieving now be done with the PSP Boinc client?
    Because I see very little activity here.
    And one of the reasons for me to start sieving is to lift the place of the Dutch Power Cows in sieving. But since I have to send in the results to both SoB sieving and PSP, will I have to register at both sites, and be getting points on both projects or how will that work?
    Thanks for the information.

Manual sieving is still continuing.

You can think of combined sieving as operating in two sieve projects at once, it makes more efficient use of your processing power than sieving in the different projects seperately.

If you have a 24/7 internet connection, I guess BOINC is your choice. You will get BOINC credit.

If you have more of a standalone-PC, you should prefer manual sieving. If you are concerned about credit, you need in this case to get a username for the semiautomatic reservation system, for PSP (post a message in the mersenneforum-->PSP-->join-a-team thread), and at SoB (forgot how that works). You will submit factors at PSP, at SoB, and get separate credit.

Did that help? H.

Quote Originally Posted by hhh View Post
    If you have a 24/7 internet connection, I guess BOINC is your choice. You will get BOINC credit.

If you have more of a standalone-PC, you should prefer manual sieving. If you are concerned about credit, you need in this case to get a username for the semiautomatic reservation system, for PSP (post a message in the mersenneforum-->PSP-->join-a-team thread), and at SoB (forgot how that works). You will submit factors at PSP, at SoB, and get separate credit.

Did that help? H.
    Yes that did help.
    So the BOINc client only gives BOINC credit. And doing it manually gives credit to both projects.
    Right?
    And since I am doing this to help DPC getting up in the DC vault, I'll go with the manual sieving then.
    Thanks for the info!