Thread: Lost proth test II

Sceptical Member

Lost proth test II

As suggested by Mystwalker, I have made a tool for changing the registry entries in an easy way.
    Download it here.

The ZIP-file contains two files: RegChanger.exe and ReadMe.txt.
    To run the tool, just open the ZIP-file and run it from there or run it from wherever you extracted the files.

Instruction on how to use it, is found in the ReadMe-file. There is also a small HowTo accessible from within the tool.

I've borrowed the instructions that vjs presented in an earlier post (Hope you don't mind, vjs )

Feedback is always nice, so please contact me at --> sceptic@team-norway.org <-- if you have any suggestions, bug reports, questions etc.. etc..

Sceptic
    Violently sceptical!

Sieve it, baby!
    This looks really great!

To be honest, I haven't tested it, as I'm into sieving and a bit factoring, but it seems like solid work for me.
    And the Readme file is very understandable - although I'd omit the TabStops at the beginning of the text lines, as it makes the text badly readable if the width of the window is not enough.

I made some thoughts myself about functionality, and maybe these two extensions are possible:

- Look after the z####### files from within the program

The user of course has to direct you to the directory. For itself, this poses no real advantage, but it can be used in conjunction with the next idea:

- get the information from the SoB pending test management site yourself
    The user has to provide Username and Password. With these information, it is possible to do a HTTP request and parse the answer page.

Combined, you could provide the user with all the information he has to know, like:

"You have block X and block Y pending on this machine, block X is older (ab% complete) and lost, block Y just began. Would you like to continue testing X and expire Y?"

Could be a lot of work, and I can understand if you don't have enough time at hands - considering that the new client version is hopefully just around the corner.

I just wrote what would in my eyes the worthiest improvements to your already great tool.

Sceptical Member
    Thank you for your kind words, Mystwalker
    I've changed the formatting of the ReadMe.txt file as you suggested.

Great ideas!
    - Look after the z####### files from within the program The user of course has to direct you to the directory.
    This should not be any problem at all since there is a key in the registry which point to the directory where the client is installed.

- get the information from the SoB pending test management site yourself The user has to provide Username and Password. With these information, it is possible to do a HTTP request and parse the answer page.
    This may be way over my head trying to code something like this, but I'll look into it and see what I can do.
    However, it would have been nice if someone could hint us about the status of the new client: weeks, months, years?
    I really don't know how much energy I'll put into this, because it's not fun when you've put a lot of effort in a project and two days after the release, it would become obsolete

Does anyone know if the z-file also contains the k-value or does it only contain the test?

Sceptic
    Violently sceptical!

Sieve it, baby!
    I already looked into it today, but lacking special knowledge, is it not clearly shown to me.
    There never were instructions on how to extract this information from the cache file in this forum, though.

Works fine under 98SE. Nice job! This is much quicker and simpler than manually going into the registry and probably a great tool for the old hats who switch between secret, supersecret, etc. and thier normal account.

Sceptical Member
    Thank you for the feedback TomPritchard
    One can probably assume that it will work on Win95 and WinMe as well, as the registrystructure is most likely similar across the OS'.

Mystwalker, I took a look at the z-file too, but did not find anything either.
    I assume the k and n values are retrieved when the client downloads a new test.

Sceptic
    Violently sceptical!

AMD Fanboy
    I wouldn't want to abuse your courtesy for creating this program, but could you allow us (with HyperThreading CPU's) to change two or more registries please.

Thanks from the Top

Sceptical Member
    Originally posted by Polski Radon
    I wouldn't want to abuse your courtesy for creating this program, but could you allow us (with HyperThreading CPU's) to change two or more registries please.

Thanks from the Top
    Hi Polski Radon...

I would like to do that, but since I don't have a P4 w/HT (or Xeon for that matter), I don't have any information on how the subkeys in the registry looks like when you run 2 or more SoB clients.
    If someone could give me some (detailed) information, I would be more than happy.
    Maybe a screenshot of the registry with the tree/subkeys expanded too?

Question:
    When running multiple instances of the SoB-client, in which directory does the client get it's respective z-file, do they all reside in the \SB directory or do they get separate directories?

Best Regards and a Happy New Year to all!

Sceptic
    Violently sceptical!

Sieve it, baby!
    Originally posted by Sceptic
    I would like to do that, but since I don't have a P4 w/HT (or Xeon for that matter)
    You can use two instances even when you have only one CPU and no HT (of course, you won't have any advantages ).

I don't have any information on how the subkeys in the registry looks like when you run 2 or more SoB clients.
    If someone could give me some (detailed) information, I would be more than happy.
    Maybe a screenshot of the registry with the tree/subkeys expanded too?
    Try this.

cache2 is just like cache - only the entries are different, naturally.

Question:
    When running multiple instances of the SoB-client, in which directory does the client get it's respective z-file, do they all reside in the \SB directory or do they get separate directories?
    All get written into the \SB directory.

Sceptical Member
    Thanks a million for the information, Mystwalker

I'll try to update the tool as soon as I can.

Questions:
    From the screenshot I can see that under the 'config'-key there is an additional value: 'ClientKey' which the associated data is 'Software\LhDn\sob\config2'.
    Is this data used by the service handler?

If you have 4 (or more) clients running, would their respective 'cacheX'-key be 'cache', 'cache2', 'cache3' ,'cache4' etc...?

Thanks again!

Sceptic
    Violently sceptical!

Sieve it, baby!
    It then says "cache4" (not "config", btw).

Sceptical Member
    Originally posted by Mystwalker
    It then says "cache4" (not "config", btw).
    He he, just copied the string from regedit and managed to edit the last word uncorrectly

Thanks for the info yet again!

Sceptic
    Violently sceptical!

Sceptical Member
    Version V0.2 is available here.

Sceptic
    Violently sceptical!

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post
    Version V0.2 is available here.

Sceptic

This tool need an update for Quad-cores or more.

Sceptical Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joh14vers6 View Post
    This tool need an update for Quad-cores or more.
    Hi...
    Version V0.3 can be found here.
    The tool supports up to 32 clients now.

Please let me know if you find bugs or if you have suggestions for improvements.
    I don't know if this works on Win Vista.

Sceptic
    Violently sceptical!