Thread: Nqueens Push

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Why isn't this Forum showing up in the recent posts section?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
    It is a secret Thread so we can sneak up on the Ars and them bad

Blog Entries
    OK who will be our 3rd musketeer

Blog Entries
    The Knights Who Say Ni!
    Will soon be Dethroned
    Only 4 K to go and we WILL have 10th Place

And it looks like we could take 8th in 3 weeks with just IB and myself

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Hmm most oddness I think I might just fire this project on along side AI / Rosetta for some fun...

/OT
    "For Death, For Glory, For Quel'thalas, Charge!" - Should be the Blood Elves Battle cry yet it's not..
    "Magic, you want magic, I'll show magic, now cool off hothead!" - me, after basically literally ice cubing something in World of Warcraft...
    OT/

Sorry I just felt like putting those quote somewhere!
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Blog Entries
    Team Norwayis next
    I am almost up to full speed.
    I should have my Afterburners on by tomorrow night

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
    ugh, when a new forum is added it does not automatically get added to the recent posts part of vBAdvanced.. added.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Oh and Welcome Chuck , I'll show up in stats too soon, I hope!
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Hi Goph & to all, watch your BOINC version!!!

Hi Goph!
    Hi All..... Just shot an email to Laurenu2 and decided to check in here. Laurenu2 just pushed us to 9th position. ( I have to learn where we stand & all )

Some things for linux (64 bit) users to watch out for... 6.4.5 does not work properly on Fedora AMD installs on ANY CPU. The CORRECT version is 6.2.15.... BUT this means you MUST VERIFY the 'network always available' in the LOCAL OVERRIDE SETTINGS... and that it is NOT doing anything by the preferences critial to ops. Otherwise you will have work waiting to report, but never reported. One machine had 700+ claimed credits waiting for the 'update', just since 5am.

As I told Lauren.... there was a ton of work stacked up ready to send in... It's now uploading/reporting & processing.... You should see things pick up now (I hope I got it all).

To add injury to insult.... I had an 'overcollection of farm dust' get into my Gigabyte coolers.... As such, the cpus shut down at 70+C like they should, but the nVidia graphics card sitting next to it could not handle the 70C and gave up the ghost. I will be off to the store this PM to see if anything reasonable (8800, 8800GT, etc is available).... I'ld take anything that can handle the heat in the event of another farm dust buildup.
    I also lost 3 HD's in that... but they were circa 2004 vintage and the heat obviously did them in.. no big deal there.
    After a good washing of alcohol and relubricating of bearings and fresh mounting on the cpus... all is good again... 39-42C at full load per CPU... including being overclocked by 6% until compound cures.

To get things running and 'up the heat'... I turned off the X-server, and am running the one machine on a (DO NOT LAUGH) STB 128 Velocity (8MB RAM) PCI-33 card. It works fine in text mode but not well in X.... go figure! (it's my 'dire emergency' card!)

As for the project... Now the settings are set.... All non-boinc work suspended to make up for the stupidity / frustration. (yes, I was an unhappy camper!)

Project Overall: Perhaps being redundant, but running in Text mode (./run_client) is much faster than bringing up the overhead of X and the BOINC GUI if settings are all KNOWN CORRECT and avoiding all the darn RPC calls BOINC makes.

Thanks again for the welcome Goph..... It's good to be up and running.... %#@!!$$ BOINC.... lol

Laurenu2 and all have done a great job pushing us up and I hope I can contribute to that now things are running as they should be. Four spare cpu coolers are in prep to be ready for the other machine, should another also need a 'de-farming'....

Hope my efforts help.

Chuck

A FDC in training, fellow supporter of Firefox.

Proudly crunching with AMD & ATI power.
    If you want The Best you must forget the Rest
    >>>>>>>>>and join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<

Blog Entries

Talking LAURNU2 --- Afterburners? :)

Laurenu2,

Kindly kick in the afterburners please!!!!

A number of my 'pending' credits are waiting for you!!!

Anything I can help that "poor Windows XP machine" with?

Chuck

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    actually that's nothing to do with v6.4.5 I don't think.

I was running 6.4.5 on a couple of 64bit AMD's under CentOS just fine, though they now are running 6.5 (and have issues due to scheduling and GPUGrid making it think it needs more cpu resource ) The boinc developers are working on this for the 6.6 series coming out probably in the next few weeks..

Waiting to report just means that it hasn't ran a scheduled report to the server in a while. This could be due to many reasons, but mainly it's the value of the 'connected to internet every X days' which should be set to 0 for always on, and yes this can be overrode at the client-side but it's not really necessary...

After all that though, if you can I'd stick with 6.2.19 or 6.2.21 anyway due to the scheduling problems which have cropped up recently.

Bok

Blog Entries

Boinc on 64 bit AMD... Centos, Fedora & Otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    actually that's nothing to do with v6.4.5 I don't think.

I was running 6.4.5 on a couple of 64bit AMD's under CentOS just fine, though they now are running 6.5 (and have issues due to scheduling and GPUGrid making it think it needs more cpu resource ) The boinc developers are working on this for the 6.6 series coming out probably in the next few weeks..

Waiting to report just means that it hasn't ran a scheduled report to the server in a while. This could be due to many reasons, but mainly it's the value of the 'connected to internet every X days' which should be set to 0 for always on, and yes this can be overrode at the client-side but it's not really necessary...

After all that though, if you can I'd stick with 6.2.19 or 6.2.21 anyway due to the scheduling problems which have cropped up recently.

Bok
    Bok,

You are probably correct that it has nothing to do with 6.4.5 specifically. I think it has more to do with the Network Manager & other noise now in FC-9 and FC-10 which got accidentally pushed back into FC-8.

I have experienced the scheduling problems (minor) with 6.2.15 on FC-8.... they are manageable/correctable.... I know 6.4.5 is good with other 64 bit linuxes, but I was specific to the Fedora AMD (FC-8, FC-9, and probably the FC-10 which is coming out).

I will try 6.2.19 or .21 if you think that's got a better scheduler..... What it reports to the host (that my client is only 16% active, yet runs 98-99% efficiency) doesn't make sense. The scheduling and interface of 6.4.5 on Fedora (redhat) just doesn't want to work right, regardless of what I do, but then the Network Manager and related VPN packages have SVN conflicts like crazy.... (to the point of not even installing!!!!) ... Somehow the Tree branches for FC-9 seem to have been pushed onto FC-8 and caused heretofore unseen problems in FC-8. One such example is a standard NFS mount..... Can you believe 'No route to host' ?? when the IP of the host is in the host table and you can both PING and SSH and everything else to it, including run Sun xVM and get a SMB share from it???

Is it worth the effort to give it to give 6.2.19/21 a try? Does it work 'better' ?

Thanks,
    Chuck

Blog Entries
    Now I am at near full power I Cleaned out all the old work
    But now I have found 2 burned out quad fuel injectors So Afterburners will not ignite.
    I will try to pick up new ones tonight if I can