Thread: New Projects

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    I suppose that's possible a little icon all depends on the size of it really, hmm
    dang just checked to see if there was a web / wingdings "character" we could use nope...
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    I'm running it on one machine..

No xml is being exported so it can't be added yet..... but I'm watching it along with a few others.

Bok

Goldbach is just a waste of CPU-time atm

Goldbach is just sending out useless UpperCase WUs en masse, to keep such a destructive project in the stats is imho a bad sign.

It's OK for projects to do some initial testing "in the wild" with UpperCase, but after a few thousand, at most for about 1000 credits, it's just wilful stealing from other projects and it's obvious that the project is just a scam.
    Even BelgianBeer needed only ~650 credits to get it all running smooth and rightfully stopped than because nothing useful was developed. Goldbach has so far crunched nearly 600.000 of the useless stuff, 1000x of what was needed by the total amateurs of BelgianBeer.

IMHO a stats page that includes such scam-projects isn't a good stats page.
    You can argue whether the science behind some projects is something worthwhile (imho prime search isn't worth a single CPU-second), but at least they are doing science, Goldbach is doing nothing!

Blog Entries
    I agree they are doing useless work, which is why I have it attached to one machine with a low resource share and that's exactly how it should be in my opinion. Let the users decide what they want to run, they can make their own decisions after all - who are you or we to 'police' this. My policy is to display the stats not pick and choose which ones I feel are correct and should be included. I do not condone an 'overseer' approach. If we start down that path, then where does it end... ? Should we dilute the ridiculous amounts of credits that MilkyWay gave out ? Cosmology? Even Primegrid manual give out pretty high credits.. No, I'm not going down that path, I much prefer to let users decide on their own.

Isn't that very nice coming over here and telling us we have a 'bad' stats page.

Bok

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Isn't that very nice coming over here and telling us we have a 'bad' stats page.
    Up until now I considered you a good stats page, and my suggestion was only to let you be this. You really don't care whether a project is just a scam or doing real work?

I don't want a judgement about the science done in the project, but no science at all is soemthing quite different. Fake projects, that only steal CPU-power for worthless junk should not be supported by the communities, they should be named and shamed.

The credit discussion in general is something that should be sorted in the project mailing list in Berkeley. There were (and still are in some areas) irregularities, but at least those projects delivered science, not plain junk.

Blog Entries
    I would not consider it a fake project though. That's where I think your argument falls down. The admin is pretty responsive and adamant that he will be putting out real work at some point. Yes, the UpperCase app is useless and he should have only put out a few wu's, I completely agree, but that, in itself, does not make it a 'scam'. I think you should take the argument to Goldbach instead. Once they start doing real work they should reset the credits - problem solved.

Start a poll if you like and let the users decide whether to remove Goldbach from the stats.

As I say, I don't want to police it, but I would respect the wishes of the community.

Bok

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saenger View Post
    Up until now I considered you a good stats page, and my suggestion was only to let you be this. You really don't care whether a project is just a scam or doing real work?

I don't want a judgement about the science done in the project, but no science at all is soemthing quite different. Fake projects, that only steal CPU-power for worthless junk should not be supported by the communities, they should be named and shamed.

The credit discussion in general is something that should be sorted in the project mailing list in Berkeley. There were (and still are in some areas) irregularities, but at least those projects delivered science, not plain junk.
    It sound a little like you want us to be a Big Brother to the DC world.
    From what I know Free-DC was founded on the Idea of Freedom to help out in what ever project we or we as a whole wanted
    And that is why the members of Free-DC put out World Class Stats for ALL Projects.
    If you don't like our Stats you are free to get the Info elsewhere

The Change you want to bring about should start at the source not here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Let the users decide what they want to run, they can make their own decisions after all - who are you or we to 'police' this. My policy is to display the stats not pick and choose which ones I feel are correct and should be included. I do not condone an 'overseer' approach. If we start down that path, then where does it end... ?
    +1

Stat sites should be completely neutral. Publish everything, and let the users decide. After all, it is up to the users to decide what is "worthwhile". The definition of that word is different for each person.

Blog Entries

Rephrased?????

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    +1

Stat sites should be completely neutral. Publish everything, and let the users decide. After all, it is up to the users to decide what is "worthwhile". The definition of that word is different for each person.
    May I ask if reversing that is equally valid? Let the users (Free-DC membership) decide (perhaps a poll?) and let it land where it lands UNLESS there is a resource and/or technical limit that Bok could inform us of?

If I interpret your '+1' as a vote in the 'Pro' column, then aren't you voting, hence invalidating your own statement? Free-DC, to me, is a team. A TOP-KNOTCH Team with, imho, the best stats in all of DC-land. But, we are a team that competes in projects with others all to advance whatever we are working on. The 'stats' are our instant gratification and metric as to how good we really are in what we do and how/where we have to improve.

I'm not trying to provoke an argument, but may I ask you to consider:

a) we check out the details of the project, even with a test user or two.
    b) report and vote whether to participate or not.
    c) Let the decision to participate / membership support decide if stats are desired/needed.

C

A FDC in training, fellow supporter of Firefox.

Proudly crunching with AMD & ATI power.
    If you want The Best you must forget the Rest
    >>>>>>>>>and join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<

Hello and thanks for your interest on Neurona@Home.

Please use the code

<Code removed by Bok - PM myself or Nebojsa if you want it, I just did not want it public for anyone at all as I know they do want to limit membership somewhat while it's still beta>

to subscribe to the project, and feel free to give the code to anyone of your team if they want to join too.
    Last edited by Bok; 06-25-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NEBOJSA View Post
    Hello and thanks for your interest on Neurona@Home.

Please use the code

Neurona@1456346

to subscribe to the project, and feel free to give the code to anyone of your team if they want to join too.
    All I am getting is
    6/25/2011 3:06:51 PM Neurona@Home Message from server: Neurona@home _("is not available for your type of computer").

What type of computer do I need

Lauren I think that you need win64 and at least 4gb of memory.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NEBOJSA View Post
    Lauren I think that you need win64 and at least 4gb of memory.
    Well I guess that leaves me out in the rian

Blog Entries
    To all.... especially anyone who thinks I don't know about windows.......

gets on stepladder <coughs> and offers an oratory to laugh at like the Barker who's actually one of the Clowns at the Circus.... I just ask you to laugh!!!!

To all.... I"ve been using DOS since the 640K of memory days when we had to put extra data into EMS memory..... Can you keep up with me there???? I've also used Regular Windows 3.1, written code in it and a whole bunch of other things you don't want to know. Heck, my ASR-33 with punch still works at a whopping 110 baud of 60 ma current loop. I built my own computers when 2k or 4k made you BMOC and BOTH my 4k and 256 BYTE computers still work!!!!!!

As for 64 bit Windows??????? I'm writing you now from a DUAL-BOOT AND Virtual Machine'd Vista-64 home premuim machine (a VAIO VGN-AW230J) ...... My OTHER laptop is a HP DV7-4170-EN/US with Win-7 Professional with the same capabilities... Yes I take advantage of my Microsoft Virtual PC license and use it!! I do the reverse too!!!.........I boot Linux in VPC when I need it!

I'll be the first to admit!!! Each OS has it's audience and therefore a need, otherwise they wouldn't be here....

It sounds like you're politely saying I need to get 'l**d'..... PERHAPS!!! I've been divorced since 2001 and my girlfriend isn't ready to get married.... not to say.. .um never mind... mixed company here!... She says I need to learn better Swedish, Portuguese, and proper Spanish from Spain. Add to that we already have 3 other languages we mess with people. FYI, she's a year older than me and just as quick tongued and frisky (P.c. words for mixed company) and just as quick to hop a plane somewhere for the weekend or rent one and fly ourselves for a quick get away! She's a nuclear physicist if you must know AND dual Brazilian / Swedish heritage. My own son & daughter-in-law (age 28) say they can't keep up!!! (she's Italian / Corsican).

There's only one place we cry.... when someone get's out of school, after having worked their buns off, with or without family help, and STILL can't look inside a PC and find the North Bridge, South Bridge, handle all the motherboard jumper settings, or know what "ELI the ICE man" means and how to use it or write code in anything other than Java or Python!!! Oh, you don't have a digital meter you say? Will this old analog one work or how about this O-scope to figure out what's wrong with the circuit? What? You need a logic analyser? Why? your scope not enough to trigger on and display the signal traces? You don't know assembly language and can't write some quick code to exercise the problem with precise signals stimulated?

As per the Barker..... "Come one, Come all, Sit down and have a laugh and may we 'Let the show begin!!!'"

<quietly and humbly stepping down>....

Find a coin with head faced up and all the day you'll have good luck!!!

Have a great day everyone,
    Cheers,
    C.

PS: So what's that reference to win64 and 4 GB supposed to mean anyway? Variety is the spice of life, true?
    Last edited by Chuck; 06-26-2011 at 04:40 AM. Reason: typo a 230 and not a 130 VAIO.

A FDC in training, fellow supporter of Firefox.

Proudly crunching with AMD & ATI power.
    If you want The Best you must forget the Rest
    >>>>>>>>>and join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<

a 32-bit OS cannot normally address more than 3-ish GB RAM because it runs out of memory rigisters (read that as - 32 bit limited)
    that said there are some work-around updates and patches out there that can 'fold' RAM for some software to access RAM above that limit.
    because 64-bit OSs have longer registers they can can access greater amounts of RAM, by design

that is one aspect.

the other aspect is that some DC projects lend themselves well to better use of larger registers (not just greater amounts of RAM)
    it is evident in some cases that a 64-bit version of a program is 'faster' than the 32-bit version.
    However this depends upon the type of problem and the type of algorithm that is best suited to solving it.
    There are still plenty of projects where a 64-bit version of the client will not perform faster, and sometimes perform slower.

This performance gap becomes even more evident when looking at 128-bit architecture.
    The performance gain is much less for the majority of solution deigns because we either don't know how to think that big yet, or the problems we try to solve just plain don't need it.
    That said there are High Performance Computing bottlenecks begging for 128-bit solutions, but mostly in data transfer and networking.
    We just don't have that much RAM on a chip yet to make it a necessity,

HTH
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    -----------------------------------------

The Van Der Waerden Numbers project (vdwnumbers.org) aims to find better lower bounds for these numbers. The sequence of colors BRRBBRRB (where B is blue and R is red) does not have an evenly spaced subsequence of length 3 that are the same color. However, if you add a B to the end, you get BRRBBRRBB, which has the same color blue in positions 1,5, and 9 which are evenly spaced 4 apart. If you add an R to the end, you get BRRBBRRBR, which has R at position 3, 6, and 9. In fact, with only two colors, there is no sequence of length 9 of Bs and Rs that does not have a subsequence of 3 evenly spaced of the same color. Van der Waerden's Theorem states that for any number of colors r and length k, a long enough sequence always has an evenly spaced subsequence of the same color. The smallest length guaranteed to have an evenly spaced subsequence is called the Van Der Waerden Number and is written W(k,r). For example, W(3,2)=9. This project aims to find better lower bounds for Van Der Waerden Numbers by finding sequences like BRRBBRRB using large prime numbers with special properties.

Blog Entries
    And it looks like stats are exported. Added.

Bok, will it create a problem if we announce the site with URL http://123numbers.org instead of http://vdwnumbers.org/vdwnumbers?

Blog Entries
    Not for me, I'd just need to change over the links.

But I know from past experience it will be a bit of a pain at your project to switch it over. There will be issues, but it's been worked through at other projects in the past.

Will you be adding Briseurs de Code to the list? Or are you waiting to see if it's viable? I'm always wary of projects sans forum...

Blog Entries
    They aren't exporting statistics yet http://briseurs-de-code.org/briseur/stats/

When they do, I'll add them.