Thread: RNA World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Back to the original issue of rechenkraft racking up big credit while no one else can participate -

Will you reset credits when RNA goes public, so the rechenkraft team doesn't have a totally unfair head start?

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Personally I would vote NOT to reset the credits, knowing it's added work in order to achieve this.

Once they go live and as long as there is lots of wu's, some of the bigger teams out there like SETI.USA, L'Alliance Francophone and Seti Germany to name just a few would probably get up to the same levels within a few days anyway so it would not make the slightest bit of difference in the long run.

Just my own opinion though.

Bok

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Personally I would vote NOT to reset the credits, knowing it's added work in order to achieve this.

Once they go live and as long as there is lots of wu's, some of the bigger teams out there like SETI.USA, L'Alliance Francophone and Seti Germany to name just a few would probably get up to the same levels within a few days anyway so it would not make the slightest bit of difference in the long run.

Just my own opinion though.

Bok
    Hay Bok you forgot yo mention LAURENU2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LAURENU2 View Post
    Hay Bok you forgot yo mention LAURENU2
    Oh I thought of it, but I kept Free-DC out

Blog Entries

I see this thread has now been censored into banality.

Blog Entries
    No censuring of posts has occurred that I'm aware of. All posts off-topic from this thread were just moved to another. I'll remove yours and this one too at some point soon.

Stay on topic please.

Hi guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Will you reset credits when RNA goes public, so the rechenkraft team doesn't have a totally unfair head start?
    Although we have not yet discussed this in detail, there are no plans to bring credits back to zero when the project goes public. The reason for this is fairness, because these people that helped during development deserve at least to keep their credits which they had earned by carrying out hard work. It should also be kept in mind that most of them contributed much more than CPU cycles since they identified a number of issues and even helped actively resolving them. I am sure you will understand that.

Someone tell yoyo that his database is in distress. Web site and BM both get errors.

1/15/2010 5:55:23 PM|RNA World|Message from server: Server can't open database
    Thanks for the information. Issue resolved.
    Best regards,
    Michael.

P.S.: An exact date for going public is not yet fixed since it depends on the outcome of the final test rounds we are currently cycling through. I actually wanted to make the project go public in November right after my initial project presentation on the BOINC Workshop held in Barcelona last year in October but then a new version of the implemented software came out and we decided to first incorporate that and test it. We just like to be up to date.

P.P.S.: If anyone has questions concerning the RNA World project, just go ahead and ask me.
    Last edited by Michael H.W. Weber; 01-16-2010 at 12:09 PM.
    http://www.rechenkraft.net - Germany's largest distributed computing community

- - - - - - - - - -
    RNAs are nanomachines or nanomachine building blocks. Examples: The ribosome, RNase P, the cellular protein secretion machinery and the spliceosome.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for coming on over Michael!

Looking forward to the project running

Bok

Since the 68 or so users in the last 24 hours brought the project's server to it's knees, and the few thousand WUs that were processed filled up their disk, I think they are not quite ready for prime time.

How can anyone go so wrong in the specification for a server?

Since the 68 or so users in the last 24 hours brought the project's server to it's knees, and the few thousand WUs that were processed filled up their disk, I think they are not quite ready for prime time.

We are not so well financed as a university. So we used the equipment which we have already. Now you see also why we do not going open, which you claimed above in this thread.
    yoyo

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Thanks for coming on over Michael!

Looking forward to the project running

Bok
    You are welcome! And thanks for your help with RNA World. It indeed has been quite some time since I last visited this forum, but think I will come for a visit more frequently.

Firstly, please note that this server also hosts the Yoyo@home project. Then, these "68 or so users" assigned approx. 400 machines to RNA World, most of which quite powerful. However, it is exactly this why we are still in the testing phase and we have already decided to migrate the RNA World project to a much more powerful machine as a consequence of our testing.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
    We are not so well financed as a university.
    In fact, we have no external funding at all. RNA World at present is financed completely on the basis of Rechenkraft.net mebership fees (of only 2,50 € per month; tax-deductible of course). But as soon as first publishable results pour in, we hope to acquire some additional funding.

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -
    RNAs are nanomachines or nanomachine building blocks. Examples: The ribosome, RNase P, the cellular protein secretion machinery and the spliceosome.

Blog Entries
    Long time no see Dr. Michael H.W. Weber
    Glad to see your still in the game.

Will you be looking into a cuda App for your project?

And when your really ready to test your platform send me a Invite,
    (I sent you a request but with no reply from you)
    And I will Port 160 cores (400+ Ghz) to see if your site is ready for DC-ing.

Long time no see Dr. Michael H.W. Weber
    Glad to see your still in the game.

Will you be looking into a cuda App for your project?
    RNA World will incorporate several additional apps in the future, and, of course, if it turns out that GPU usage is beneficial in terms of computational output we will do our best to make use of it. At present, however, the implemented programs apparently do not profit from GPUs - they have been tested for it. So, currently GPUs have to stay aside.

And when your really ready to test your platform send me a Invite,
    (I sent you a request but with no reply from you)
    And I will Port 160 cores (400+ Ghz) to see if your site is ready for DC-ing.
    Excellent!

To whom exactly did you send your request (to which email address)? I have actually replied to all requests as mandatory for good project support. But maybe something escaped my attention (e.g. spam folder or something of this sort). However, at present without exceptions (for fairness reasons) we have to reject all further participant requests except the team captains (which are automatically imported). There are some final tests going on including resolving a server issue, and, although spare-time operated, we don't want to start with avoidable glitches wherever possible. ;D

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -