Thread: RNA World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It looks like there about 7200 CMC WUs queued up (un-sent).

Since those can only be crunched on Linux 64 bit machines, and they each take 1.5 hours or so (from your server status graphs), it looks like it might be a couple of weeks before those all get crunched, since there don't seem to be very many of the required machines.

Is that correct?

Yeah. So the best way to solve the issue would be to hook up more Linux x64 machines, right?
    I could of course produce more CMS WUs by running CMC locally as I did before on my 955 BE. We will see how things develop.
    But we need people to understand, that in the present development stage of the project, it is of importance to make sure our system really runs well. We are still in testing phase. Please never forget that. You saw how only recently our quite powerful new server was hit by the tremendous requests. Or the issue with the RAID system. Good things sometimes take time to optimize for the many unexpected small issues that surely arise with such a project and for that we just request a little patience.

Michael.

[edit]: By the way, the server currently helps crunching away these CMC WUs for it is a Linux x64 machine, too.
    Last edited by Michael H.W. Weber; 02-15-2010 at 04:43 PM.
    http://www.rechenkraft.net - Germany's largest distributed computing community

- - - - - - - - - -
    RNAs are nanomachines or nanomachine building blocks. Examples: The ribosome, RNase P, the cellular protein secretion machinery and the spliceosome.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Micheal - just a thought you what FS you using on the Raid Ext2 or 3 if it's 3 you WILL see bottlenecking. We had that here wonder why rebuilt the server almost until we say EXT3 switched to EXT2 no journalling runs super fast
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Well, using the CMS WU shortage period for server analysis and tweaking within a day we have already modified a number of things and we think it works well now. For example we run the WU generation as RAM disk avoiding HD load which dramatically speeds up things and resolves the HD bottleneck issue. Concerning the file system, I actually assumed it must be ext2 but I will make sure by talking to our sysadmin. Anyway, thanks for the hint.

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -
    RNAs are nanomachines or nanomachine building blocks. Examples: The ribosome, RNase P, the cellular protein secretion machinery and the spliceosome.

Blog Entries
    So how long do you think we (windows users) will be out of work
    Just remember anything linux can do we can do better and more of it oke:

It shouldn't take much longer. Approx. two thirds of the CMC WUs are already completed. Thereafter, a Windows session will start.

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Hi Michael,

I have some cmc units on a linux 64bit which are at 90hrs (82%) and 50hrs (43%) is this ok? Most others on the same machine have ran in a few hours at most..

Bok

Quote Originally Posted by gopher_yarrowzoo View Post
    Micheal - just a thought you what FS you using on the Raid Ext2 or 3 if it's 3 you WILL see bottlenecking. We had that here wonder why rebuilt the server almost until we say EXT3 switched to EXT2 no journalling runs super fast
    Could you please specify a bit more in detail what exactly the problems were with EXT3? We figured that our server has EXT3 as well (to my surprise).

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -

Please do not be surprised if the RNA World server is unreachable for a couple of hours. We have to run a thorough HD hardware check to exclude damage with the file system (don't worry - everything was backed up in advance and is backed up anyway regularly).
    I will also release additional CMS WUs soon (this week). But details will be found on the main page as usual in the NEWS section.

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    It to do with the Journals it does any FS transaction aka file read/write gets added in,
    Bok will verify this one, we set up a Super fast new server and after very little time it slowed from 6Mbit transfer rates to Sub 1.5Mbit we pulled it apart re did it still the same redid the chipset drivers the works - see if you can't turn the Journalling off in EXT3..
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

New CMS work ahead some time this weekend. Concerning the EXT3 journalling issue thanks for the information. We will look into it.

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael H.W. Weber View Post
    New CMS work ahead some time this weekend..
    Michael.
    But but I want it NOW .