@Angus: The current settings are efficient in avoiding the MySQL attack, so server issues are not seen anymore. We now just wait to complete the CMS WU set and, as said before, after that we will bring all setting back to normal on the server side and this type of problem should never occur again as we have found an efficient measure to avoid this accumulation of short WUs.
Concerning the the WU redundancy, yes, with this set we have more results to validate (and to credit of course) than usually, because as long as the validator is halted, no "WU already complete" signal will be sent to the clients to abort non-started computation efforts. This is clearly not so nice because it causes overhead in computational efforts, but the WUs are very tiny, so we think it should ot bother us too much. Just consider other projects that do not even make use of this possibility to reduce "WU redundancy".

@All: We seem to have identified a yet unknown problem with some of the long running CMC WUs. First, it seems they run about double the time which is indicated initially by the progress bar. This is unavoidable due to the type of computations we carry out and the unreliability of the progress bar in case of CMC WUs increases with their complexity (i.e. duration). So on the basis of the progress indicator, just do not make the decision to abort a WU. If possible, keep it running, please. The real baffling thing is that some of the long WUs are judged as "client error". Strangely, they seem to be intact (at present an assumption). We are currently checking that more in detail and we need more data to identify the source of the problem. So, please help us a bit in finding out what goes wrong by not giving up to run these WUs such that we can analyze the outcome one by one.

Michael.

P.S.: I am surprised that we encounter such an issue at this stage since I was quite convinced things work fine. But, of course, we focused on the smaller CMC WUS to test a lot in a short period of time. Now we released the "big birds" after all that testing and here we need to do some homework again. I have my 955 BE on these long WUs, so at least we are sitting in the same boat and that boat I like.