Thread: RNA World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael H.W. Weber View Post
    Ok, guys, fasten your seat belts: as noted in our NEWS section,
    Michael.
    With this new work can I go back to Full Power Without impacting your server like I did last time?
    40% power is No Fun

Have you Beefed up you DB to do Better then it did ?

Well, the upcoming CMC WUs, even those of the "monster type" should run smoothly now. Although they still do run long. At least we have extended the deadline for these by a whole week. Concerning the upcoming CMS work, we will first send out a small batch to see how it is doing.

Michael.
    http://www.rechenkraft.net - Germany's largest distributed computing community

- - - - - - - - - -
    RNAs are nanomachines or nanomachine building blocks. Examples: The ribosome, RNase P, the cellular protein secretion machinery and the spliceosome.

Blog Entries
    So I guess that means hold at a 40% commit mark

New CMCs for Windows x64 have been fed into the server and will be delivered today. We expect these to run without complications unlike some WUs we delivered to Linux x64 a few weeks ago.
    Note that the CMS packets coming up tomorrow will require broadband internet connection. Transfer volumes will be one to two orders of magnitude higher for some WUs compared what you are used to. Computation times will range between a few minutes to up to 100 hrs on a 955 BE (3 GHz). The human genome will also be analyzed.

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -
    RNAs are nanomachines or nanomachine building blocks. Examples: The ribosome, RNase P, the cellular protein secretion machinery and the spliceosome.

www.amdusers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael H.W. Weber View Post
    Computation times ... up to 100 hrs ...

Michael.
    Count me out then. I detest long running molecules.

Maybe a few more details. This time we have a total of 1024 genome files that will be analyzed with two RNAs. Of these 1024 files,

14 are sized > 200 MB (only 3 of these 14 > 300 MB)
    126 are sized > 100 MB
    319 are sized < 1 MB

All given file sizes are in uncompressed format, i.e. the files actually delievered will be smaller by at least 30%. Run time distribution will approximately scale with to genome sizes but I do not have a detailed run time distribution table (an idea that came to my mind today, but which would cost considerably efforts to process, so I postponed this for a while). So, we picked out very large, intermediate and small genomes and tested these with a set of around 10 RNAs, amongst these of course also the two we use for today's test run. Maximum run time is below 100 hrs.

Michael.

[edit]: Some WUs seem to require well above 1 GB of RAM. Yet we have no means to determine the memory requirements prior to simply running the WU and checking things out in practice. So please report any issues, observed RAM requirements, etc. to me if possible such that we can act quickly if required (e.g. tweak the memory settings as we successfully did with the CMC WUs).
    Last edited by Michael H.W. Weber; 03-08-2010 at 06:15 AM.

- - - - - - - - - -

Too much RAM needed

I had to abort all the WUs and go NNW on this project.

The new CMS WUs use stupidly large amounts of RAM. My system used all the physical and page file space, and basically just stopped functioning. It's a pretty vanilla box, Win XP, 2GB RAM, and a dual core CPU. Probably representative of a high percentage of all the machines running BOINC.

I guess this will be a high end, 64 bit machines only project.