Thread: Constellation: Invite-Codes for best Simulation-Ideas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Andreas
    I hope you're sitting down and try not to laugh too hard.

Terraform@home
    This would be a project to find the most effective and efficient method to terraform a planet. In this case we'll use Mars as an example. The end result should be a habitable planet to support human life in comfort. No domes, no bulky space suits, just a place you can walk around like here. It should be able to support food production and biodiversity. Using computer modeling to determine the long term effects of changes to the planet. As an example, I'm no scientist but I know that carbon dioxide causes a planet to warm up. Instead of carbon capture and storage what would happen if we captured it and sent it to Mars. An atmosphere would start to form and as a greenhouse gas it should start to warm the planet. As the planet warms the frozen water deposits thaw and then you can start to send in things (plants) to convert carbon dioxide to oxygen.

The modeling would probably be similar to CPDN and I'm sure there are enough scientists out there with ideas and enough planets that would keep the project going forever. Is it a pratical or usefull project? I don't know but you have to admit I've given you a unique idea for what to do with this worlds excess carbon dioxide.

I'm starting to get the idea that I'm the only one here that reads science fiction.
    19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)

hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Sounds like BigRed deserves an invite

Still waiting on mine too :P
    Definitively! He is a fountain of ideas. Without any competing ideas it won't be hard to decide, but even with some other ideas posted here he has given some of the best described ideas of all participating websites so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    Andreas
    I hope you're sitting down and try not to laugh too hard.

Terraform@home
    No, I don't laugh about your idea, the only thing I do is smile, because of your creativety. And your not the only Sci-Fi fan (pointing on myself!) .

Terraforming@home:
    Poluting your own planet is not wise, but polutiing other planetes in a virtual-simulation could be fun. I read some books about this topic and IF anyonewould ever think about doing this there must be preparation, because we can't even estimate our own involvement in global climate, and if we want to change another celestial body we must filter out at least the basic sideeffects. And even then there could be unforseen events.
    I like the idea and perhaps this should be done in cooperation with CPDN, because they have the experise in this field of science.

By the way, Bigred, you made some great ideas allready, perhaps you want to dedicate our spare-ideas to someone, otherwise you will get 1 code out of 10.
    And to the rest of you, DON'T BE SHY! Just do it like Bigred did and post the first think you can remember from a scifi film or tv-series, as long as it is doable with distributed computing.
    Or if you are a model-plane pilot, there are often tasks to do that could also been done with DC. Almost all ideas were space-related so far, but I would like to see aviation based ideas as well.

Andreas

Andreas,
    Like I said, one for Bok and one for Laurenu2. The next three are up for grabs for anyone on the team that wants them.

Asteroids@home
    If Orbit is going to track the objects we need to figure out what to do with them if one is coming our way. What do we use to destroy or deflect them. Lasers, Nukes, rocket motors to change course, space tugs or how about a giant robot with an equally big baseball bat. With different sizes and compositions you might need different solutions for different rocks.

Trajectory@home
    Provided we find a way to deflect that armageddon sized rock, where do we send it to? Do we send it just off in any direction we can or do we send it to the sun or one of the other planets? What would the effects be?

Spacejunk@home
    How do we track and collect all the trash we've left floating around in space?

Those are my last three unless somebody here needs help with one. If you want to claim one of these it is first come first serve so speak up now.

Hi,

Andreas,
    Like I said, one for Bok and one for Laurenu2. The next three are up for grabs for anyone on the team that wants them.
    If Bok is Phil, the admin of this site, he allready has one code for just allowing this action to happen in his forum, so he is out of competition, because he will get other things to do (ranking the best ideas). So you can declare one idea to someone else.

Asteroids@home + Trajectory@home is only one idea in my opinion, because this is essential to know, where a deflected spacerock is heading after the trajectory change. I wouldn'tbe wise to play with "god's rules" without knowing, if this spacerock will hit earth the next orbit revolution.
    I can think of a given scenario, like Apophis hitting earth and then trying to hit him with different kind of lasers on different hit-surface-areas, or by gravity tracktor pulling by a space-ship with different counter-masses and analyzing where the comet/asteroid will head afterwards.

Spacejunk@home
    How do we track and collect all the trash we've left floating around in space?
    This is tricky, because how should a DC project space debris? NORAD does this, but they are reallllly god supported and they are only able to track junk the size of a 2€ coin. And can you explain the garbage collection to me how to use DC?

I really like your distributed idea system . hopfeully I don't have to rank your idea in case there will be more then 10 posted idea

Andreas

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -horn- View Post
    Hi,

If Bok is Phil, the admin of this site, he allready has one code for just allowing this action to happen in his forum, so he is out of competition, because he will get other things to do (ranking the best ideas). So you can declare one idea to someone else.
    Yup I am I'd want to set up the team ahead of time anyways..

Blog Entries
    What about Sound pollution All you need is a Mic outside a window

Nice and easy! And like the light-pollution idea a matter of callibration, because the sensetivity of each mic is different. It's not a sole aerospace related idea, unless you measure in the area around an airport or spaceport, but it's still a nice idea . BUT please keep in mind that it could be in conflict with some laws, because of it's spy nature. I think you wouldn't like your neighbours record what you talk and snore .

Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by LAURENU2 View Post
    You should have tried Sound Polution in computer rooms like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by LAURENU2 View Post
    I think this would be a valid project because you wouldn't be recording sounds. The only thing monitored would be the level of sound. It could be monitored on a sproadic basis, say every five minutes making it a low impact project.