Well it's been about 24 hours and I thought I would let everyone know what has happened. Yesterday I put 2 ATI HD5850s on it and yes I've made some money. So far about 0.40 BTC. While that may seem to be a very small amount, at the current exchange rate that would be about $8. I have no way to know if this was an average day but for the purpose of this post we'll assume so. We'll also assume the exchange rate is fairly stable. This would lead to the conclusion that I would make about $240 a month. It won't make me rich but in theory would allow me to slowly upgrade my older machines. For those of you that have to pay for your electricity it could help with the bills and maybe have a little leftover for new equipment.

IMHO at the present there is only one worthwhile scientific project that uses GPUs. GPUGrid doesn't like my GTX260s or my ATIs. I've decided to put the rest of my ATIs on BTC mining today and after the upcoming Primegrid Challenge I'll move the Nvidias to it. I feel that unless a project like Drug Discovery comes up with a GPU application, my GPUs would be better off earning money to do upgrades. Of course this means that my Boinc scores will go way down but what good is Boinc credit anyway.

If anyone wants to start BTC mining and needs help let me know. I found that the instructions were not very clear but I can post a step by step guide to using the Bitclockers pool.

I really wish that Bok would reconsider running a FREE-DC pool. The people at Bitclockers get 1BTC (2%) for every block completed and we did 2 blocks yesterday. At current rates that works out to about $40 a day to offset expenses.