Thread: Future of Free-DC stats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bok,

As a Techno illiterate, but as one who reads and dreams about building THE system I have to agree with a couple of the initial posters above.

1) Use the SSD for just the O/S and the program(s);
    2) Get 2 or 3 HDDs and use them set up as hot swappable or raid-0 so that there is always at least one HDD online to be used for the data (Velociraptors sound good); and
    3) Reduce the updates to just 12 a day at most. I mean, if I truly really want to know the latest credit score from a site, I go to the site, but look forward to my sig file generated here being updated. Having just read last sentence again.... Why not just do four updates a day, at 0600, 1200, 1800 and 2400hrs your time.

It would be a pity to see this site go the way of... hmmmmmm was going to say the Dodo, but probably more accurately, the way of Geocities.

(I know... nothing new, but did warn you I was a Techno Illiterate *grin*sigh*)

Obviously most of the programming presented is way over my head. But I agree with the HDD RAID idea. If you leave the OS on a fast SSD, and Swap on a separate drive, why not take four 500GB HDDs and create a RAID 10 for the database? Then you have speed as well as redundancy. Also as mentioned, we appreciate your attention to detail, but honestly we could all live with less demands on your hardware - what about 4 updates per day - one every 6 hours?

May I ask: Which Intel Drives are you using?. To what degree have you over-provisioned them?

I use an Intel 520 120GB with 20% set aside unused to give the trim some extra space. Chose to do this after reading This

It only does around 7-10TB per month but has not been a problem this past year or so.

I too run a ramdisk which in my case reduces the writes by around 50%.

Just thinking aloud here in the hope it may evoke some thoughts your end.

You should at least be able to get a replacement drive since the Intel SSDs carry a 3 - 5 year warranty... unless running a db voids the warranty? Hope you're able to get it worked out, Bok. Free-DC is my favorite BOINC stats site.

Hi, I have a "personnal" server which isn't actually in use, do you want some parts ? (24 Gb ram, SAS disks...)

(the server is a Dell Poweredge2900, I have a fiber connexion at home...)

IMO - posting once a day should be more than adequate. WCG does their posting at around 6PM - 7PM PT daily and no one seems to complain about that.
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams (11 March 1952 – 11 May 2001)]

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf_the_Grey View Post
    IMO - posting once a day should be more than adequate. WCG does their posting at around 6PM - 7PM PT daily and no one seems to complain about that.
    Gonna have to disagree.

I hate that WCG exports only daily. Very annoying.

When in a challenge (which seems to be all the time lately), we need to be able to see what's going on way more frequently than daily. Also, I visit the stats many times per day, just to check in and make sure everything is progressing properly for my farm and the projects. Every 2-4 hours is probably good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by vince120 View Post
    Hi, I have a "personnal" server which isn't actually in use, do you want some parts ? (24 Gb ram, SAS disks...)

(the server is a Dell Poweredge2900, I have a fiber connexion at home...)

Donations as well!...I have a few 146GB 15K SAS drives, sealed & never been used....

Steve