Thread: Welcome Back SpeedRaider!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In case for a domestic processor the CPU I mention is the best solution. Server is Intel Xeon E5-2697 V3.
    If I had £7000 I would invest on a dual socket Intel Xeon E5-2697 V3.

Guru, forget the Xeon X5690 processors and its family, it doesn't have avx on it so they produce half or less than an E5-2697V2.

For me energy is not cheap and you need to think that common people do pay electricity.
    Please do the comparison you are saying, with an energy meter read the consumption and determine the production per day.

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    Guru, forget the Xeon X5690 processors and its family, it doesn't have avx on it so they produce half or less than an E5-2697V2.

For me energy is not cheap and you need to think that common people do pay electricity.
    Please do the comparison you are saying, with an energy meter read the consumption and determine the production per day.
    The systems I have setup now were geared towards dnetc. Now that I am investing in SOB the systems will change. Newer systems don't have any advantage for dnetc which is why I have so many older systems. Not having good work statistics in SOB makes it a challenge to know which systems are worth running. Right now I am going off benchmark results from specific systems.

It will be very interesting getting the running power data for the newer systems on prime95. I won't bother with power ratings for the dual socket servers.
    I'm having fun!!! I'm just not sure if it's net fun or gross fun.

pinhodecarlos, what is your SOB user name?

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    pinhodecarlos, what is your SOB user name?
    I don't run SOB, I run another private prime search at mersenneforum.org called RPS.

Doh! Found this in the logs from my i7-3960X

[Tue Feb 10 16:36:23 2015]
    Iteration: 6934673/15990667, Possible error: round off (0.4375) > 0.40
    Continuing from last save file.
    [Tue Feb 10 17:00:31 2015]
    Disregard last error. Result is reproducible and thus not a hardware problem.
    For added safety, redoing iteration using a slower, more reliable method.
    Continuing from last save file.

I still say there is something wonky with the AVX code. I only have crashes on the AVX enabled systems and all of them are running stock speeds. I could accept one or two systems but 4 of 7 systems is a lot. I have non AVX systems that are overclocked and no issues at all. Only one of the systems affected is running linux. The others are running windows 7 x64.

I already had those errors when I was using Prime95 on dual core server (linux mprime).
    When I shared at mersenneforum that error Prime95 told me not to worry. Few weeks after when someone found a bug on the software I decided to retest all candidates in a another CPU and OS and I got different residues. I shared this on mersenneforum but didn't get any reply.

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    In case for a domestic processor the CPU I mention is the best solution. Server is Intel Xeon E5-2697 V3.
    If I had £7000 I would invest on a dual socket Intel Xeon E5-2697 V3.
    Yea the dual socket systems are not worth the price for crunching but if you happen to have them sitting around they will put out some good numbers. I included them in the benchmarks just because I could get some data from them. I have more systems with data to release once I get some time.