Thread: Server down?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Good to know. Tanks for the update Mike.

Any update???

Quote Originally Posted by engracio View Post
    Any update???
    I have no additional information.

We just heard from Louie and the news is not good. It looks like the old server, and everything on it, is toast. From what I understand the software that runs the server was lost too. There were backups, but unfortunately the entire datacenter was lost, taking the backups with it.

No decision has been made about what happens next -- in fact I just got this information and there's been no discussion yet about how or if to move forward.

We will keep you informed as new information becomes available.

For the sake of those wondering what they should do, I'll give you a guess as to what I think will happen. Everything from this point on is pure speculation on my part and may very well be incorrect. Take the rest of this message with a huge grain of salt.

It sounds like none of the software or data can be recovered from the datacenter, and if Louie had off-site backups somewhere he would have already found them. Everything on the SoB server is probably gone forever. The records of which numbers were tested, the residues, the user records, everything. Louie has indicated that he probably won't be relaunching SoB unless he's able to recover at least the software.

The only information that still exists is what PrimeGrid has. So what does PrimeGrid have? Well, for one thing, we have almost all of the sieve data, so that's not lost. Plus, we have complete records of all the work done on PrimeGrid. We also have complete records of all the work that was done on SoB for the two k's that were permanently transferred to PrimeGrid last year. Everything on the other 4 k's might be lost, however.

If SoB goes under, PrimeGrid will continue to work on our 2 k's. I suspect we'll pick up the other 4 k's as well if SoB can't be restarted.

S3NTYN3L, unfortunately, it looks like there's no way to recover any of the user data, so all credits and other information relating to SoB appear to be gone for good.

What the actual ****ing hell?

My log files can be used to re-create some of the data submitted lately.

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    What the actual ****ing hell?

My log files can be used to re-create some of the data submitted lately.
    Log files would be helpful. I should have thought to mention that.

If Louie and/or PrimeGrid need to try to put the pieces back together again from scratch, every little bit will help.

I have all of my residue for at least 5 years. Also we have done double check all the way up to 30Mil just saying.
    Last edited by engracio; 05-09-2016 at 11:01 AM.