Thread: A new measure of greatness ;-)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sorry - it kind of evolved in my meanderings - I'll try again. Forget all that went before.

Free-DC Legacy (or EnigMax) is intended to be a measure of "All Time Achievement" in Free-DC terms. It hopefully provides a 'standard' by which all Boincers past and present can be fairly compared and ranked, and to a large extent negates the effect of the slant given by the likes of Bitcoin Utopia and maybe some others I don't know about.

To do this I am suggesting that you total all Free-DC MegaMilestones that are not affected by time, so that it doesn't matter if you haven't Boinced for years or not, you could still occasionally look in on your Legacy.

So we need to specifically count:- Projects and Subprojects, all the count breaks (1ks, 10ks, etc, Sub1k's Sub10k's etc) Trigggls, Boks, TeraBoks etc (and their Sub equivalents) and Nebbers.

Or to put it another way count all MMs except :- SquarePants, Maxwells, MiRBs and SubMiRBs, Vaios, Top10s, Top100 Ranks etc (and their Sub equivalents), Clanks and SubClanks.

There may well be others I don't even know about but hopefully you get the gist, if they are affected by time then they are excluded. Obviously any new MM's would have to be considered for inclusion in the Legacy count.

Optional Length of Service Weighting
    Having gotten a total, a 'bonus' or weighting could then be applied to reward longer term Boincers. I would suggest a 1% or 2% bonus for every year Boinced. I am open about this but appreciate you would need to track a "Last Seen Date" as well as the current "First Seen Date", and update it yearly or daily, whichever seems right - and that may well be impossible to do retrospectively, though it may be in your database somewhere in some form or another. If it can't be done then hey ho, never mind.
    So it would look something like this:-
    Legacy = Total of Counts x (( 100 + No of years service) / 100 )

Optional Total Credit Rank Weighting
    Perhaps there is an opportunity for another weighting based on total credits earned which might appease the heavy Bitcoin Utopia Boincers. I've only just thought of this and I am not altogether sure it is a good idea, but you could weight the count like this
    Legacy = Total of Counts x (( 100 + Percentile ) / 100 ) Note: Where Percentile comes from the main userbycpid summary
    You could do both. It might make it more interesting because it would make it even harder to work out where on earth the rank came from

However you arrive at a Legacy number, this should then be ranked which is really the point of it.

To keep changes simpler, the Legacy Count itself and subsequent Free-DC Legacy Rank, need not appear on the MM table. I would be happy with just the Legacy Rank appearing in the main userbycpid summary, where we can all see just how good (or not) our Legacy will be, though it would be nice if clicking it could show everyone in Ranked order if that is possible - I imagine it could possibly increase rivalry.

I would argue that Legacy itself should not contribute towards any other MM, particularly Maxwells, MiRBs and TeraMiRBs, and certainly not Squarepants.
    I also think that whilst it might sound complicated, it's not much different from counting and ranking Squarepants

I hope that makes sense now. Happy to answer any questions. Cheers.
    Last edited by MarkRBright; 03-04-2021 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Clarity