Thread: A new measure of greatness ;-)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRBright View Post
    Hi all. So, as I know (judging by the number of people who read this after a post) that you are all chomping at the bit to find out what another full month of relative inactivity will do to your Legacy score ;-) I have just updated my trusty spreadsheet.
    I can tell you that when your time comes to do this, the following are the most noticeable points:

Your Overall Rank will continue to climb - dropped 232 places from my peak, and no doubt will continue to do so.

Of all the megamilestones your Squarepants will fall most emphatically, down 42 on my best. Mostly made from (Sub)Clanks/(Sub)MiRBs/Maxwells, but also the odd (Sub)Top10/Vaio etc

Your Ravage is actually the most surprising. Get a single Subclank and your SubClank count goes from 0 to 1 but your rank (at least on my spreadsheet) goes from 0 to the thousands so your Ravage surges. After 30 days of no SubClank activity the Rank effectively becomes 0 and bang your Ravage actually improves! Never saw that one coming, I now just slap in an arbitrary 9999 (or nearest best 9's) MM Rank when an MM totally disappears from the MM table.

Your Legacy - assuming you had one of course, and assuming you get one of course, will continue to rise. :-) in my case by around 1 a month because I still have a couple of PCs who's idle-but-not-quite-sleeping time knocks out a few Milky Ways every day. This is easier to manage than calculating a fake "I've been inactive since .." Date and sticking it into my calculation.

And that's it. Can't see much point in coming back other than to see how many people read this in the hope that it has finally become interesting! At the time of writing it was 2389 Sorry if I got your hopes up
    I still find it interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    I still find it interesting
    That is not good news! That suggests that there is a slim chance that one day, I might get an innocuous email telling someone has posted to this thread, and I will come looking only to find out that I have plummeted from Number 1 in the imaginary Legacy League of all time Boincing Greats, to somewhere around the 5000 mark in the real, newly created version!
    No! Don't do it Bok! I'm begging you!
    I like being number 1!!!

Erm ... just in case anybody (Bok in particular!) took me seriously in that last message, I actually really look forward to finding out just how near the bottom (or top) I would be!
    I hope to some day take my rightful place somewhere near the middle of the pile.

So just out of interest, does anybody out there agree with me? Or feel strongly about it? One way or the other? Or do you all just think ... meh!?
    I would really like to know as I am surprised at the apparent total lack of interest in this idea apart from what might just boil down to politeness from Bok.
    Quite a few continue to read this thread, but nobody seems to think enough of it to post.

My heartfelt apologies go out to Werinbert who did actually comment (and quite positively too) about this back in February, and also to the ever patient Bok.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Gosh my brain hurts a little but only because it's Sunday morning and I retired from Boinc pretty much 9 years ago so I have totally missed out on Bitcoin etc... can't really crunch on an Android phone too much and my main quad is well still packed from when I moved, laptop crashed and never recovered plus its 10 years old...
    I do drop in here from time to time...
    All good ideas and I really need to brush up on my php,js,Python skills
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Gosh my brain hurts a little but only because it's Sunday morning and I retired from Boinc pretty much 9 years ago so I have totally missed out on Bitcoin etc... can't really crunch on an Android phone too much and my main quad is well still packed from when I moved, laptop crashed and never recovered plus its 10 years old...
    I do drop in here from time to time...
    All good ideas and I really need to brush up on my php,js,Python skills
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Lightbulb

So, how is it that these adverts put it?
    100% of all those who expressed a preference think it's a good idea!
    Yup! That's the one!
    I don't think any of you will ever beat me though! I am at number one because I am simply the best , with a Legacy currently standing at 3299 and firmly in the number 1 spot, and until I plummet to around 5000th when this is implemented I am going to continue to enjoy the experience.

Sorry for continually posting to this but I just want to keep it alive, and I continue to hope that other people (like you!) will think about it and respond to it saying "Good idea! I like it! "

So, I’ve just been having a little play with Legacy and I decide to calculate it for a couple of other people just to see what happened and I think the results are interesting.

I looked at the very top of the rankings and there is Hemmo with numbers that are just huge. So I pasted Hemmo’s numbers into my spreadsheet and was very surprised to find that Hemmo has a fairly feeble Legacy score of 306 – compared to my 3300! I was curious and looked at Hemmo’s stats to find little more than a huge run at Bitcoin Utopia. Looking closer still I found that whilst I don’t know the date Hemmo stopped Boincing, there have been no Recent Milestones since the 6th May 2017, so I put that into the calculations to find Hemmo ends up with a Legacy of 294! Now I don’t want to take anything away from the tremendous effort Hemmo put into that, but I am looking for something that could be ranked to show a level of ‘greatness’, a lasting legacy of your time spent Boincing (and of course using Free-DC)

So I looked at number 2 in the Stones rankings – Ste\/e. Pasting his data in I found his Legacy to be a massive 6255!!! The big difference between these two is that Ste\/e has basically done it all, in spades.

OK I now have to admit what I was avoiding admitting in the past – I am not the number 1 Free-DC Boincer ever – but until this is calculated for us automatically, I will remain at number 3 in the only rankings that there are - mine, with Hemmo at number 4.

Now some might say Legacy is just another Squarepants, and to some degree it is. The big difference is that Legacy sticks. It won’t go down if you stop Boincing, people have to beat it to get above you in an official Free-DC Legacy Ranking. Squarepants will drop as you lose (Sub)Top 10’s etc, Maxwells, MiRBs etc, and Vaios and Clanks. So, you could stop Boincing at a particular rank in Squarepants and you will drop off just because you stopped.
    Legacy is for keeps. You could come back in a few years and check on your Legacy Ranking. It might encourage you to do a little more – in fact doing so would marginally increase your Legacy and subsequent Legacy Rank just because you will have been done a little more and therefor Boinced longer, and why wouldn’t we want to encourage that.

And just in case it inspires you Bok, you are sitting in 2nd place with a seriously impressive Legacy of 5031. Just in case the observant amongst you wondered why I was at number 3.
    Last edited by MarkRBright; 08-22-2021 at 08:59 AM.