Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any updates on the supposed "Memory Leak"

We will be switching to a new client next Tues, as posted today in the News of the website.
    Howard Feldman

Apparently you don't consider the handle ( which consumes memory) a memory leak. So could you please apply a similar code change to the linux client?????

Pretty Please!! with StarDragon on top!!

Firstly, all clients use the same code. If we found a memory leak, we would find it in all of them and fix it in all of them. However we found no memory leaks after rigorous searching, only a handle leak - a Windows registry handle leak, which obviously doesnt apply under Linux.

Try the new version next week on Linux and if you suspect memory is still leaking, let us know and please posty your evidence as well. Thanks.
    Howard Feldman

Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    Firstly, all clients use the same code. If we found a memory leak, we would find it in all of them and fix it in all of them. However we found no memory leaks after rigorous searching, only a handle leak - a Windows registry handle leak, which obviously doesnt apply under Linux.

Try the new version next week on Linux and if you suspect memory is still leaking, let us know and please posty your evidence as well. Thanks.
    Well at the moment there is absolutely an increase in memory usage related to the value of the -g flag. eg -g5 uses a lot more memory in 24 hours thatn -g25 does. This happens on all the FreeBSD, Linux, and MacOS X servers that I run.

Correct,
    The rest will be fixed on Tuesday when the new client is released.
    Until then, only the Windows version was fixed in a 'beta' ...

Originally posted by Brian the Fist

All I can tell you at the moment is that linux clients die after 3 to 5 days with an "out of memory error". The nice part about it is that the os sends the kill signal and the client doesn't corrupt it's files.
    Sometimes the ".lock" file is there and sometimes it is not.

But yes linux client does consume memory like the windows client.
    I will try tuesday's client and post the results.

Originally posted by PinHead
    I will try tuesday's client and post the results.
    As will I (though it won't be running for very long on any machine except the P3-800 that's being a router / firewall).

I did check up on that machine last night (it had been running since last time I restarted it because it was using too much memory -- that was July 7th), and found it using 280MB of virtual (VSZ, according ot ps / top) and 180MB of physical (at least, it was what ps / top call RSS) memory. It hadn't gotten hit by the OOM killer yet, though (the machine has 256MB, and 384MB of swap), so I manually restarted it.

Of course, none of this information really does any good for Howard and company. But whatever.

If it still seems to be happening after Tuesday, what information would you want in a bugreport? One line of output of "ps aux" (the line for the foldtrajlite process)? One line of top's output? Any special arguments to pass to top to get some of the info you'd need?

Originally posted by bwkaz

If it still seems to be happening after Tuesday, what information would you want in a bugreport? One line of output of "ps aux" (the line for the foldtrajlite process)? One line of top's output? Any special arguments to pass to top to get some of the info you'd need?
    top or ps output would be perfect
    Howard Feldman

OCworkbench Stats Ho
    Well, for those curious, I just had to reboot my Win2000 computer which is a Duallie. One Client has the original Client, the other the upgraded version. Both were restarted when the update was posted. The Client using the original was up to 386 MB, the modified Client 96 MB

I am not a Stats Ho, it is just more satisfying to see that my numbers are better than yours.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123